Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings jungy4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Steering wheel not straight

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Bought my CPO S4 recently. I noticed that on the highway, the car would pull to the right when the steering wheel is straight. Took the car back to the dealer because I thought this should be taken care of for the premium CPO price I paid. They did the alignment for free because it was a bit off, but the car still pulls to the right. What else could it be?

With the flat bottom steering wheel, it is easier to tell if your steering wheel is not straight.
    2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT
    2006 Acura TL 6MT
    2011 Cadillac CTS Coupe
    2011 INFINITI FX35

Current - 2015 S4 6MT

Established Member Two Rings Marc G's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Porsche 911

if it's actually pulling it does not matter if the steering wheel is straight or not, If you have the wheel straight and the car is not going straight than your wheel is probably off.
    I have also noticed these cars seem to have a real tendency to tramline depending on tires.
    Last edited by Marc G; 12-07-2018 at 10:14 AM.
    Marc
    13 S4 6MT Sport Diff, etc..

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Get in the center lane (so no crown) and let go of the wheel. That'll tell you if it's pulling. As Marc said, the steering wheel not being centered is a different issue.

Established Member Two Rings JACKAL's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Given how fine the splines are on the steering shaft, I could see someone misaligning it. If that is the problem you can easily remove the wheel and realign in less than 15 minutes.
    2010 Sprint Blue S4 / United Motorsports Stage 2 Dual Pulley | Tampa Autosports Ported Blower | 6MT | B&O Stereo| CTS Turbo Non-Resonated Downpipes | CTS Turbo Intake | R8 Coil Packs | Blackout Headlights | R1 Concepts Drilled & Slotted Front Rotors | Eurocode Short Shifter | D-Steering Wheel | Stainless Clutch Line

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 S4 6MT, 2012 VW CC DSG, 2015 Audi Q3 Quattro, 2017 Corvette M7 Grand Sport

The proper way to fix this is to have the toe adjustment centered, meaning that the tie-rod ends need to be adjusted so they have equal length when the toe is set, and that will result in the rack being centered, and the steering wheel being centered. Readjusting the steering wheel on the splined shaft is NOT how this should be fixed.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by S4'ed View Post
    The proper way to fix this is to have the toe adjustment centered, meaning that the tie-rod ends need to be adjusted so they have equal length when the toe is set, and that will result in the rack being centered, and the steering wheel being centered. Readjusting the steering wheel on the splined shaft is NOT how this should be fixed.
    Unless the steering wheel was removed for some reason and not put back on straight.

Established Member Two Rings JACKAL's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by hilmar2k View Post
    Unless the steering wheel was removed for some reason and not put back on straight.
    Exactly. This is what I was implying. There are also alignment marks on the wheel and splined shaft that indicate when it is oriented properly which can easily be checked by removing the airbag. I no way was I condoning realignment of the wheel to mask another underlying issue.
    2010 Sprint Blue S4 / United Motorsports Stage 2 Dual Pulley | Tampa Autosports Ported Blower | 6MT | B&O Stereo| CTS Turbo Non-Resonated Downpipes | CTS Turbo Intake | R8 Coil Packs | Blackout Headlights | R1 Concepts Drilled & Slotted Front Rotors | Eurocode Short Shifter | D-Steering Wheel | Stainless Clutch Line