Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

TD1 FLAG. Y'all have been warned.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I'm the proud owner of a 2016 audi s3. I have ED stage 1.5 software on my car. For the record, i think Eurodyne is garbage and that's my mistake for going with them. I like many of you have been informed either from these forums and staff members at my dealer techs and service advisors, that just always flash back to stock before bringing the car back in for service or any issues and I'll be fine. Well a week ago it was about 50 degrees in florida, boost weather so i was excited. I turned my car on to go to work, and it just didnt feel right. It was surging, not shifting right etc. I have about a 6 minute drive to my office. Later that night when i went to leave work, i turned my car on and it stalled twice. I barely made it home. Threw a check engine light, the care had 31 faults. Cleared the engine code, took note of the faults and made a service appointment. As i put the car in reverse it died immediately. Luckily the next night i was able to get all the stock software back on. Not that it ended up mattering. Failed fuel pump, and blown injectors. Audi flagged my car td1 so im looking at nearly 3-4k in costs. I had a lengthy conversation with the service manager. He informed that as of a few months ago, audi now sees the car has been flashed, regardless of whether the car comes in with the stock or the tune formatted on it. Even my service tech texted me and stated just make sure the car has the software off it before i brought it on on friday and i would be fine. He said his hands were tied and its bullshit considering he said tunes account for a .5 percent of the warranty claims and part failures he sees. Just wanted to share with everyone. We pay to play, if something does break, bring that shit to a shop thats not audi. My car is getting towed to USP motorosports in the am, and I should have taken the car there in the first place. Womp womp womp.

Senior Member Two Rings TheMysticWizard's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '15 A3 TDI, '14 Q7 TDI Prestige, '01 Allroad

That is very unfortunate. My experience was different, though I can't say that it's usually the case.

On my A3 I went with Malone Tuning and bought the Flashzilla. I was able to flash a Stage 2 File in my driveway and I can easily flash my stock file back. I recently did this before taking it in to the dealer because of a check engine light. I do know this triggers the flash counter in the ECU, I can see this count increase in VCDS, however I don't believe the service guy noticed.

I flashed Stage 2, then an updated Stage 2 file, then back to stock. It's obviously been flashed several times and the flash counter reflects this also, the dealer didn't mention anything about it. They completed both the Phase 2 TDI Fix and addressed the warranty work (replaced my glow plugs) no problem. Part of this Phase 2 fix included new software, I'm sure it was plugged in to the Audi Mothership, which either doesn't check the flash counter or doesn't care.

I was not flagged TD1 and no one mentioned anything to me. When I got it home, I flashed to Stage 2 and all was good again.

I don't know if they didn't look for it being reflashed or just didn't care in my case, but it didn't throw any immediate red flags and they fixed my car under warranty.

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by davek2787 View Post
    I'm the proud owner of a 2016 audi s3. I have ED stage 1.5 software on my car. For the record, i think Eurodyne is garbage and that's my mistake for going with them. I like many of you have been informed either from these forums and staff members at my dealer techs and service advisors, that just always flash back to stock before bringing the car back in for service or any issues and I'll be fine. Well a week ago it was about 50 degrees in florida, boost weather so i was excited. I turned my car on to go to work, and it just didnt feel right. It was surging, not shifting right etc. I have about a 6 minute drive to my office. Later that night when i went to leave work, i turned my car on and it stalled twice. I barely made it home. Threw a check engine light, the care had 31 faults. Cleared the engine code, took note of the faults and made a service appointment. As i put the car in reverse it died immediately. Luckily the next night i was able to get all the stock software back on. Not that it ended up mattering. Failed fuel pump, and blown injectors. Audi flagged my car td1 so im looking at nearly 3-4k in costs. I had a lengthy conversation with the service manager. He informed that as of a few months ago, audi now sees the car has been flashed, regardless of whether the car comes in with the stock or the tune formatted on it. Even my service tech texted me and stated just make sure the car has the software off it before i brought it on on friday and i would be fine. He said his hands were tied and its bullshit considering he said tunes account for a .5 percent of the warranty claims and part failures he sees. Just wanted to share with everyone. We pay to play, if something does break, bring that shit to a shop thats not audi. My car is getting towed to USP motorosports in the am, and I should have taken the car there in the first place. Womp womp womp.
    Apparently you got some bad info if you thought reflashing to stock would keep you from being flagged....as you now know that's pretty far from the truth. I knew once my car was tuned my warranty for the motor and trans was out the window.....only being good for other things not easily relatable to the tuning or related mods.

Veteran Member Four Rings TCHUN003's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, Honda Ruckus

If they dig enough, they'll know. Eurodyne does reset the flash counter though. Maybe it didn't flash completely back to stock?
    -Thomas
    Current: /S3
    Previous: B6 A4/B8A4 Avant

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I've had my car in for service multiple times with no issue. Even had them try to replicate some wheel hop via launch control. No one ever said shit to me about my flash. Service manager said audi is getting stricter, and they're cracking down. He almost never sees flashed cars have any issues. Ironically another silver s3 apr tuned, blew its turbo and the family is now trying to sue audi lol. It just really sucks, they wont back our claims. I would pay 2k for the same apr tune with a backed warranty. I digress. Just a word of warning fellas.

Veteran Member Four Rings coolwater's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 Q5 Ibis on Black AWD

Just had my car in a couple week back to replace a battery. Flashed back to stock and no issues with everything covered under warranty. Iíve got mechanical breakdown insurance also in case something major blows up.

I think the biggest thing is you werenít able to drive the car after the flash back to stock. Putting some miles on the car after reflash helps with clearing any non-oem red flags.

One guy blew his turbo at the strip and couldnít put miles on it after reflash. AUDI didnít cover, but his MBI insurance covered it.

-cW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 S3 Mythos Black on Red Magma Leather - V810 - Bilstein B14 - AWE DP - aFe
    2018 Q5 Ibis on Black P+

Gone - 2014 Audi A5 2.0T - 2013 S4 3.0 -2010 A4 2.0T
    New Build Thread: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-Magma-2015-S3
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4z...OgbcLzxwZEOt1A

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

MBI insurance covers tuned cars? really?
    2018 Audi RS3
    Glacier White
    Technology / Dynamic Plus / RS Design with Crescendo red Stitching / RS Carbon Inlays
    APR Inlet / APR Intercooler / APR Stage 1+ Tune / IE Intake
    0-60 3.42 sec
    Insta: Oregon_12453

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Like with all insurance itís a case by case basis. If the repair is big enough they send an adjuster to inspect your car. Under $1k and itís usually all done over email/phone with your repair shop.

-cW

2018 Q5 Ibis on Black P+

Established Member Two Rings Chaoscreature's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 A3 Quattro, 1995 Porsche 993 C2, 2006 Jetta TDI

For those who are NOT getting flagged, I would guess it's because the shop didn't even check.

IF they flag an owner, they end up with a pissed off customer AND they probably won't get the service job. If it was me, I would rather pay a reputable indie shop than Audi if my warranty was denied. They probably won't sell a new car to that customer again either.
    IF they just don't check then you get new parts, they get paid, and everyone is happy (except Audi?)

I am by no means an expert on this, so just my 2 cents.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoscreature View Post
    For those who are NOT getting flagged, I would guess it's because the shop didn't even check.

IF they flag an owner, they end up with a pissed off customer AND they probably won't get the service job. If it was me, I would rather pay a reputable indie shop than Audi if my warranty was denied. They probably won't sell a new car to that customer again either.
    IF they just don't check then you get new parts, they get paid, and everyone is happy (except Audi?)

I am by no means an expert on this, so just my 2 cents.
    That certainly can be the case for warranty claims that donít require a scan. Iíve gone in for engine misfires on the S3 and they did scan. They tried to reproduce the issue, but could not.

AOA has been fair IMHO in how they deal with these claims.

On my A4 I was TD1 flagged with a tune. Car had oil consumption issues before my tune. They still covered the piston/ring replacement under warranty. Had coolant leaks multiple times also covered. Wheel bearings were covered. Engine mounts were not covered. YMMV as this is all case by case.

-cW

2018 Q5 Ibis on Black P+

Veteran Member Four Rings MikTip's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by davek2787 View Post
    How did the ED tune cause the the failed fuel pump and injectors?
    2015 S3 * United MotorSports Tuned * Eurocode Anti-sway bars * Mid-muffler delete * 3.5" Exhaust tips * 19x8.5 Konigs

Senior Member Two Rings MichiganRS3's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 Ford Escape

Spec-Actual will always indicate that the ECU has been tampered with.
    `18 Mystic Blue Pearl Effect RS3
    Technology / Driver Assistance / Dynamic / RS Design / Black Optics
    Audi CF Spoiler / Audi CF Mirror Caps / Llumar Ceramic Tint 35% /
    APR FMIC / APR Turbo Inlet & Intake / APR Downpipe & Midpipes /APR Stage 2 e85
    Silly Rabbit Motorsport Throttle Body Inlet
    Fuel-It Ethanol Content Sensor / Elite Motorsports DSG Catch Can
    APR A01 19x8.5 Gunmetal Wheels / Continental ExtremeContact Sport (255/30 & 235/35)
    11.2 @ 127mph / 3.17s - 0-60 - Stage 1 e85

Veteran Member Three Rings audinutt's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 A8l 2001 A4TQM Avant

Someone needs to figure out a way to clone the ECU and then you can have a spare that has never been flashed just keep your original

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    98.5 A4 1.8T

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by coolwater View Post
    Like with all insurance itís a case by case basis. If the repair is big enough they send an adjuster to inspect your car. Under $1k and itís usually all done over email/phone with your repair shop.

-cW

Off topic, but what do you pay for your MBI insurance? Is there a deductible and all that?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aaronRR View Post
    Off topic, but what do you pay for your MBI insurance? Is there a deductible and all that?
    Deductible is $250. Premium increases as your car ages. I fully expect the premium to jump after factory warranty expires. Itís about $150-$200 a year right now. Alternative to extended warranty from Audi.

-cW

2018 Q5 Ibis on Black P+

Established Member Two Rings S3_Miles's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Anyone know how Piggyback tunes show (or not show) on a dealer visit? I use Racechips for both my A3 and S3, and its a mild but effective asskick in performance, and im fine with it. They include a dongle you plug into the clearly visible external harness that prevents the readers from seeing the racechip set up......but yet there clearly is the harness.

So there is no flash to the ECU, but still.....

Veteran Member Four Rings MikTip's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by S3_Miles View Post
    Anyone know how Piggyback tunes show (or not show) on a dealer visit? I use Racechips for both my A3 and S3, and its a mild but effective asskick in performance, and im fine with it. They include a dongle you plug into the clearly visible external harness that prevents the readers from seeing the racechip set up......but yet there clearly is the harness.

So there is no flash to the ECU, but still.....
    Depends on the Tech who works the car....also if your claiming thousands of $$$ in repairs under warranty....the Tech probably looks a little bit closer.

The piggy back can easily be DIY removed...
    2015 S3 * United MotorSports Tuned * Eurocode Anti-sway bars * Mid-muffler delete * 3.5" Exhaust tips * 19x8.5 Konigs

Veteran Member Three Rings Spinnetti's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by audinutt View Post
    Someone needs to figure out a way to clone the ECU and then you can have a spare that has never been flashed just keep your original

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    Oh, you mean fraud? Why not just man up and be responsible for repairs? Makes more sense to just not mod at all if you can't cover the consequences of your mods. - BTW, in the old days, people used to use spare ECUs ;)
    2015 S3: Uni Stage 2 ECU/TCU / Most of the 034 chassis and suspension catalog / APR Intake, Turbo inlet and Downpipe / ECS resonator delete / Neuspeed turbo muffler delete & discharge piping / 18x8.5 ET35 255/40
    2008 R8 V8 Manual: Uni 93 ECU tune / Avior Exhaust / 15mm Spacers / R8 Puddle lights / Custom mats
    1991 LS400: Literally every part replaced or modified in some way (24hrs of Lemons car)

Established Member Two Rings Chaoscreature's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 A3 Quattro, 1995 Porsche 993 C2, 2006 Jetta TDI

I think some ECU's nowadays are VIN locked as well... but I don't know about the A3 ones.
    I bought a tuned ECU at Fastivus a couple years back and wasn't able to start my Jetta with the loaner ECU even though it was from the same make/model/year and had been flashed. Not saying it's impossible at all, just that it might be tougher then pulling an ECU from a junker.