Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings bmwpower603's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1998 BMW m3 AlpinŤ WęiŖŖ [Dinan chip, Dinan Intake, Full Remus Exhaust]

1999 a6 2.8 coolant level. Heater core ?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Itís been about a month since Iíve purchased my c5 a6 from the original owner (who was 75)

The car is dealership maintained ..

I havenít really been keeping an eye on the coolant really well. But I noticed that it was a little below the fill line in the expansion tank. And Iím pretty sure it was right on the fill line when I got it. Iíve been looking for leaks, and cannot seem to find any. Though I havenít looked to hard.. But nothing is dripping in my garage.

The car was babied. I can tell just by the way the transmission adaption has set its shifts. I was thinking maybe there was recent maintenance on the cooling system, and hadnít had a thorough bleed? Causing the fluid to appear lower now. After driving the shit out of it, maybe it self bled itself. (The coolant does look very very fresh)

My only other guess if it isnít leaking anywhere, and the coolant continues to get lower and lower. . Maybe the heater core is leaking ? Is there anyways to test, and confirm this? How bad is a heater core to replace on these?

Is it worse than the B5 s4? Or similar to c4 s4? I really hope this isnít the issue..

Iíve had a lot of Audiís that get poor heat due to a declining heater core. But never had one that leaked !!

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A4 Avant, 05 Silver S4 2.7t swap

I donít know about pre-facelift C5ís, but in my 2003 Allroad you pull the kick panel by the accelerator and the heater core is accessible from there. Helps to remove a few pedal assembly switches as well. Hardest part is working down in the footwell.

Definitely not anywhere close to the shoot yourself moment when you realize you have to replace it in the B5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings rollerton's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Coolant level can easily fluctuate a couple inches above and below the 'min' line depending on how hot/ cold the engine is and RPM etc.. I wouldn't start throwing money at it until you establish a trend of something not looking right.
    Also, heater core is at the bottom of the list of things that typically leak. I've had VAG cars with 300K miles with disintegrating heater cores and they didn't leak. You'd 100% smell the coolant inside from a leaky core too.
    foley803 : What does an electrical surge sound like? Barking dogs? Watermelons?

Veteran Member Four Rings PaperToast's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Quadzilla

and the wet carpet at the gas pedal . . .
    Rockin' the Rockies
    '01 allroad, 240k woot woot, still boosting on original turbos and tippy, slightly more modified. . .

Scotty@Advanced, "Push it off a cliff, when it hits the ground you should have a few thousand horsepower available for a brief second."

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rollerton View Post
    Coolant level can easily fluctuate a couple inches above and below the 'min' line depending on how hot/ cold the engine is and RPM etc.. I wouldn't start throwing money at it until you establish a trend of something not looking right.
    Also, heater core is at the bottom of the list of things that typically leak. I've had VAG cars with 300K miles with disintegrating heater cores and they didn't leak. You'd 100% smell the coolant inside from a leaky core too.
    I have been checking at properly. In the morning, when the car is cold. And Iíve still had to top it off. Could this be a bad gasket at the oil cooler/ oil filter housing?

I donít see any signs of coolant on the ground. .

Senior Member Two Rings Calif_Kid's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 A6 6 spd, 2000 Honda Civic hatch racecar

Quote Originally Posted by bmwpower603 View Post
    I have been checking at properly. In the morning, when the car is cold. And Iíve still had to top it off. Could this be a bad gasket at the oil cooler/ oil filter housing?

I donít see any signs of coolant on the ground. .
    On the 2.7T, I've had issues with the afterrun coolant pump leaking which you can check with a flashlight looking for any leak/coloring in the valley under the throttle body. I'm not sure if the 2.8 engine has that pump or not. I've also the thermostat housing develop a slight leak, with the old housing being plastic, so I replaced it with the metal housing and replaced all of the timing belt components at the same time. The main thing that if you can smell any coolant scent, you know you've got issues, and even if you can't, then maybe check the above. - Jim

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Calif_Kid View Post
    On the 2.7T, I've had issues with the afterrun coolant pump leaking which you can check with a flashlight looking for any leak/coloring in the valley under the throttle body. I'm not sure if the 2.8 engine has that pump or not. I've also the thermostat housing develop a slight leak, with the old housing being plastic, so I replaced it with the metal housing and replaced all of the timing belt components at the same time. The main thing that if you can smell any coolant scent, you know you've got issues, and even if you can't, then maybe check the above. - Jim
    The 2.8L, if I remember correctly doesnít have the after run / aux water pump.

Veteran Member Four Rings PaperToast's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Quadzilla

another thing to check is the oil
    if it looks like a milkshake then you found your leak
    Rockin' the Rockies
    '01 allroad, 240k woot woot, still boosting on original turbos and tippy, slightly more modified. . .

Scotty@Advanced, "Push it off a cliff, when it hits the ground you should have a few thousand horsepower available for a brief second."

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaperToast View Post
    another thing to check is the oil
    if it looks like a milkshake then you found your leak

The bottom hose was not all the way seated, and the top hose clamp was on placed on the wrong side of the bleed hole.

I slid the hose all the way on. (Judging by the picture I probably should have cleaned off old fluid sludge where the gap was. On the bottom hose. )