Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Two Rings Cousinphil's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1954 Ford Jubilee Tractor,1986 Ford Diesel Tractor, 2006 GMC One Ton Dump, 1986 Nissan Flatbed Truck

Fan Control Module - Friend or Foe?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    We went out a recent evening to a holiday party at a friends house which is right next to the town park. I parked my ’05 Avant in the driveway, took the keys out of the ignition, and left them on the center console. After an hour and a half I had had enough chit-chat so I slipped out the front door by myself and made for the town park. As I walked in front of the Audi it greeted me, at least that’s the way it seemed, by turning on the two electric radiator fans. I stopped short and stood for a second. The fans, slowly decreased. I walked forward and the car reacted to my approach by making the fans roar. I hesitated and the fans slowed again. Huh!

At this point let me just say that I am a hard-nosed realist and not given to flights of fantasy. I’m just reporting what happened.

The fans continued to come on at random intervals for the rest of the evening, sometimes slow and sometimes fast. Before turning in for the night I could hear the fans roaring so I went out with a 10mm wrench and disconnected the battery.

The next morning it was 10ºF and the car was as dead as a doornail. I brought out the jumper cables and hooked them up to my wife’s Subaru but the 1.8T wouldn’t even turn over. I left for the day in my wife’s car leaving a battery charger plugged in under the hood. My wife’s CrossTrek is the worst car I’ve ever driven; no power, hard to steer, and a super annoying hesitation when accelerating or decelerating. I guess I’ve been spoiled.

At the end of the day the Audi’s battery was fully charged and the engine turned over smartly but wouldn’t catch. I let it sit for a while and when I tried it again it started up instantly. I took it for a test drive and everything seemed to be normal. So now the car is sitting in my driveway and all is quiet on the western front. I suspect that the problem is not gremlins but more likely a faulty fan control module.
    2005 A4 Avant 1.8T Tiptronic 92,000 miles on odometer
    2004 A4 Avant 1.8T 6 Speed 114,000 miles

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA

Did it rain recently? I suspect you have a clogged drain underneath your brake booster and consequently you have water in your ECM box.
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla / Eibach ProKit / Koni Yellows / H-Sport F&R Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1954 Ford Jubilee Tractor,1986 Ford Diesel Tractor, 2006 GMC One Ton Dump, 1986 Nissan Flatbed Truck

I think you hit the nail right on the head, Fletcher. We have had a lot of rain lately, and melting snow. There was a mess of pine needles under the brake booster but they were dry as a bone. But the cover of the ECU was missing the two rear screws. The cover was slightly ajar. There was moisture back there. Rotten pine needles back there. So I need some screws ($1.08 each at Bangor Audi) and I need to figure out how to get that right rear screw in. Seems like I would have to take off the wiper arms and the cowling before I could tighten that screw.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

It's easier to do if you remove the cowling but you can access it by just removing the wiper arm.
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla / Eibach ProKit / Koni Yellows / H-Sport F&R Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

My guess is that you will need a J271 relay. That would be the one labeled 219.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1988 Merkur XR4Ti, 1986 911 Coupe, 1991 Alfa Romeo 164

Just a heads-up, be vary careful not the crack the windshield when removing the windshield wiper arm. Use the correct tool, or don't even try at all.
    Brad 2002 Quattro 1.8T w/ 2.8 B5 5-speed

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti View Post
    Just a heads-up, be vary careful not the crack the windshield when removing the windshield wiper arm. Use the correct tool, or don't even try at all.
    Sounds like the voice of experience ;-)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

This is too much! I must have died and gone to heaven. Not only do I get to drive around in this cool machine all winter long in the deep snow, I get detailed descriptions complete with photos on how to maintain this marvel without going to the poorhouse. The car is running fine today. How long do you think that will continue? A day a week a month? I'm usually the kind of guy who leaves well enough alone if things are running the way they're supposed to. But it's nice to have spare parts for these old machines.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

You really should address it. You may have a relay that looks like this:

This should help: Clicky click®

Established Member Two Rings LordKarnage17's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I can confirm the symptoms of intermittent fans without key in ignition relating to water in the ECM box (at least thats what happened to me). I had a hole in the ECM box so I had it coming but I didnt think much of it until I kept coming back to the car and being greeted with a dead battery.
    I caught it in the act once ramping up the fans until the battery voltage dipped too low and turning them off again.

Like oldguy said, I would recommenced looking at it sooner rather than later, as while the relays are easy to replace, if the wiring and connectors become too corroded, it would be a nightmare to replace.

There are 2 torx screws on the back of the ECM box which is why its reccomended to take off the wipers and plastic cowl to gain better access. I dont think my passenger size wiper arm has ever been removed as it did not budge and as DPDISXR4Ti said I was worried of accidently bumping the windshield, so I just did the procedure by only removing the drivers side wiper arm and bending the cowl out of the way.

IMG_20180402_121110.jpgIMG_20180402_122144.jpgIMG_20180402_122156.jpg
    2003 a4 QM 5 Speed 141k Miles 1.8t/FMIC/ catback magnaflow exhaust/ forge diverter valve/ GIAC tune

AZ Member #
    My Garage

To be continued...

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1988 Merkur XR4Ti, 1986 911 Coupe, 1991 Alfa Romeo 164

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Sounds like the voice of experience ;-)
    Unfortunately, yes. It was on my neighbor's car, but fortunately he had full glass coverage so it was not a big deal. After that experience I purchased the proper puller right away.
    Brad 2002 Quattro 1.8T w/ 2.8 B5 5-speed

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti View Post
    Unfortunately, yes. It was on my neighbor's car, but fortunately he had full glass coverage so it was not a big deal. After that experience I purchased the proper puller right away.
    It was 2003. My brand spanking new A4 was only a few weeks old with 1,200 miles on it. I went to pull the ECM to get it chipped:-)

After that I also purchased a proper wiper arm puller :-(