Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA

Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Back in 2010, as a birthday present, I received a Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit for my A4 B6. Clicky click®. It’s a rather long thread. Cliff Notes Version: A great product. I modified the kit a little and ultimately ended up testing a prototype version for Tyrolsport that was an improvement on my modification. So here I am getting a repeat birthday present 8 years later. Clicky click2®

I plan on installing the kit in the next few days and will post up my impressions. I sure hope it makes the same improvement on the B8 as it did on the B6!

A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla / Eibach ProKit / Koni Yellows / H-Sport F&R Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post

I plan on installing the kit in the next few days and will post up my impressions. I sure hope it makes the same improvement on the B8 as it did on the B6!
    ohhh!!!
    i like this idea....
    anxious to hear how they perform for you!!!!
    Billy

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

2011 A5 2.0T Old Man Project
    2011 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (Modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Elderodo

Senior Member Three Rings scmtkings4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Nice, let us know what you think.

I had this kit also for my s5 but ended up selling it as I picked up some brake calipers off an a7. From what I heard, tyrol is getting ready to release a brake stiffening kit for those as well so I'm patiently waiting.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk
    2014 S5

AWE Touring Exhaust l ECS Intake l EPL Dual Pulley 93 l AMS Alpha Cooler

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

i had them on my TT, they make a fairly big difference, esp, with braided lines

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I should get a chance to install the kit tomorrow. Will update with impressions.
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla / Eibach ProKit / Koni Yellows / H-Sport F&R Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I installed the TyrolSport Brake Stiffening Kit today. What should have been a one hour job ended up being a three hour job because of some clearance issues that I encountered. I will outline the issue and the cure in case someone is interested in the stiffeners and encounters the same thing.

Driving impressions: The brake pedal feels noticeably stiffer. That initial mushiness is completely gone and the brakes engage immediately. When bringing the car down quickly from highway speeds the braking feels a lot more linear. You don't feel the need to increase the pedal pressure to maintain the same rate of deceleration. It won't turn your OEM brakes into a BBK but it does provide a decent "bang for the buck". Kinda like getting a stage 1 tune for your brakes.

Clearance issues: After you remove the OEM stuff you insert the bronze bushings. Then you add a collet to the other side of the bushing and secure the assembly with a circle clip.

Collet insertion:

Circle Clip Installation:

The issue I ran into was that the collet didn’t insert far enough to install the circle clip. The groove for the circle clip was partially covered by the collet. I ended up having to sand .015” off of the face of the collet in order to expose the full groove for the circle clip. After that it went together easily.

Was it worth $155? I think so. I feel the improvement every time I hit the brakes. It adds to the overall responsiveness of the car and to the driving experience.
    Last edited by old guy; 12-11-2018 at 06:10 AM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

Was it worth $155? I think so. I feel the improvement every time I hit the brakes. It adds to the overall responsiveness of the car and to the driving experience.
    those fingers are just way too clean.....
    are you sure you did this?????

seriously, excellent info & feedback....

these are on my list as part of my spring preventative maintenance routine....

thanks, OG!!!
    Billy

1971 Moto Guzzi Elderodo

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wkhanna View Post
    those fingers are just way too clean.....
    are you sure you did this?????
    LOL!! My hands are never that clean when I work on my car! I lifted those pictures from the TyrolSport installation guide :-)

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

...The issue I ran into was that the collet didn’t insert far enough to install the circle clip. The groove for the circle clip was partially covered by the collet. I ended up having to sand .015” off of the face of the collet in order to expose the full groove for the circle clip. After that it went together easily...
    Thanks for the informative post and installation pics!

Did you notify TyrolSport about the clearance problem? Did you get a response?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlueStar View Post
    Thanks for the informative post and installation pics!

Did you notify TyrolSport about the clearance problem? Did you get a response?
    Yes I did. I communicated with Mike (TyrolSport's owner) and it does appear that the mounting ears on my calipers are slightly thicker than expected. They have sold hundreds of these kits with no issues. Maybe the A5 sourced calipers from a different source than the a4? Normally the difference in thickness would make no difference at all with a rubber bushing.

Fortunately the cure was simple and once I figured it out it only took a few minutes per collet to fit it properly. I used 100 grit to fit it to size and then followed up with some 600 grit to polish it out. Pic isn't the actual collet but just something to show the process:

And yes Bill, those really are my fingers in this pic :-)

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Yes I did. I communicated with Mike (TyrolSport's owner) and it does appear that the mounting ears on my calipers are slightly thicker than expected. They have sold hundreds of these kits with no issues. Maybe the A5 sourced calipers from a different source than the a4? Normally the difference in thickness would make no difference at all with a rubber bushing.

Fortunately the cure was simple and once I figured it out it only took a few minutes per collet to fit it properly. I used 100 grit to fit it to size and then followed up with some 600 grit to polish it out...
    It sounds like most installations should go smoothly then. Good thing the collet is bronze and not stainless steel or you would have been at it quite a bit longer! I take it you miked it before and after sanding to determine the .015" reduction?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlueStar View Post
    It sounds like most installations should go smoothly then. Good thing the collet is bronze and not stainless steel or you would have been at it quite a bit longer! I take it you miked it before and after sanding to determine the .015" reduction?
    Yessir I did. All the collets measured .123" so I sanded them down to .108" and the circle clips fit snugly in place.
    Last edited by old guy; Yesterday at 09:10 AM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

And yes Bill, those really are my fingers in this pic :-)
    just back from your manicure, i see....
    Billy

1971 Moto Guzzi Elderodo