Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 28 2006
    AZ Member #
    14483
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA
    Location
    Western Maryland

    Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Back in 2010, as a birthday present, I received a Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit for my A4 B6. Clicky click®. It’s a rather long thread. Cliff Notes Version: A great product. I modified the kit a little and ultimately ended up testing a prototype version for Tyrolsport that was an improvement on my modification. So here I am getting a repeat birthday present 8 years later. Clicky click2®

    I plan on installing the kit in the next few days and will post up my impressions. I sure hope it makes the same improvement on the B8 as it did on the B6!

    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla / Eibach ProKit / Koni Yellows / H-Sport F&R Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

  2. #2
    Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12 2017
    AZ Member #
    399355
    My Garage
    needs cleaned
    Location
    Land of Archaic Anachronisms

    Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post

    I plan on installing the kit in the next few days and will post up my impressions. I sure hope it makes the same improvement on the B8 as it did on the B6!
    ohhh!!!
    i like this idea....
    anxious to hear how they perform for you!!!!
    Billy

    Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

    2011 A5 2.0T Old Man Project
    2011 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (Modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Elderodo
    Avatar Chart

  3. #3
    Senior Member Three Rings scmtkings4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 06 2016
    AZ Member #
    382607
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Nice, let us know what you think.

    I had this kit also for my s5 but ended up selling it as I picked up some brake calipers off an a7. From what I heard, tyrol is getting ready to release a brake stiffening kit for those as well so I'm patiently waiting.


    Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk
    2014 S5

    AWE Touring Exhaust l ECS Intake l EPL Dual Pulley 93 l AMS Alpha Cooler

  4. #4
    Registered Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Nov 09 2018
    AZ Member #
    430768
    Location
    east stroudsburg pa

    i had them on my TT, they make a fairly big difference, esp, with braided lines

  5. #5
    Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 28 2006
    AZ Member #
    14483
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA
    Location
    Western Maryland

    I should get a chance to install the kit tomorrow. Will update with impressions.
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla / Eibach ProKit / Koni Yellows / H-Sport F&R Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 28 2006
    AZ Member #
    14483
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA
    Location
    Western Maryland

    I installed the TyrolSport Brake Stiffening Kit today. What should have been a one hour job ended up being a three hour job because of some clearance issues that I encountered. I will outline the issue and the cure in case someone is interested in the stiffeners and encounters the same thing.

    Driving impressions: The brake pedal feels noticeably stiffer. That initial mushiness is completely gone and the brakes engage immediately. When bringing the car down quickly from highway speeds the braking feels a lot more linear. You don't feel the need to increase the pedal pressure to maintain the same rate of deceleration. It won't turn your OEM brakes into a BBK but it does provide a decent "bang for the buck". Kinda like getting a stage 1 tune for your brakes.

    Clearance issues: After you remove the OEM stuff you insert the bronze bushings. Then you add a collet to the other side of the bushing and secure the assembly with a circle clip.

    Collet insertion:



    Circle Clip Installation:



    The issue I ran into was that the collet didn’t insert far enough to install the circle clip. The groove for the circle clip was partially covered by the collet. I ended up having to sand .015” off of the face of the collet in order to expose the full groove for the circle clip. After that it went together easily.

    Was it worth $155? I think so. I feel the improvement every time I hit the brakes. It adds to the overall responsiveness of the car and to the driving experience.
    Last edited by old guy; 12-11-2018 at 06:10 AM.
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla / Eibach ProKit / Koni Yellows / H-Sport F&R Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

  7. #7
    Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12 2017
    AZ Member #
    399355
    My Garage
    needs cleaned
    Location
    Land of Archaic Anachronisms

    Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post

    Was it worth $155? I think so. I feel the improvement every time I hit the brakes. It adds to the overall responsiveness of the car and to the driving experience.
    those fingers are just way too clean.....
    are you sure you did this?????

    seriously, excellent info & feedback....

    these are on my list as part of my spring preventative maintenance routine....

    thanks, OG!!!
    Billy

    Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

    2011 A5 2.0T Old Man Project
    2011 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (Modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Elderodo
    Avatar Chart

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 28 2006
    AZ Member #
    14483
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA
    Location
    Western Maryland

    Quote Originally Posted by wkhanna View Post
    those fingers are just way too clean.....
    are you sure you did this?????
    LOL!! My hands are never that clean when I work on my car! I lifted those pictures from the TyrolSport installation guide :-)
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla / Eibach ProKit / Koni Yellows / H-Sport F&R Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

  9. #9
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 01 2014
    AZ Member #
    168778
    Location
    Richmond, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    ...The issue I ran into was that the collet didn’t insert far enough to install the circle clip. The groove for the circle clip was partially covered by the collet. I ended up having to sand .015” off of the face of the collet in order to expose the full groove for the circle clip. After that it went together easily...
    Thanks for the informative post and installation pics!

    Did you notify TyrolSport about the clearance problem? Did you get a response?

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 28 2006
    AZ Member #
    14483
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA
    Location
    Western Maryland

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueStar View Post
    Thanks for the informative post and installation pics!

    Did you notify TyrolSport about the clearance problem? Did you get a response?
    Yes I did. I communicated with Mike (TyrolSport's owner) and it does appear that the mounting ears on my calipers are slightly thicker than expected. They have sold hundreds of these kits with no issues. Maybe the A5 sourced calipers from a different source than the a4? Normally the difference in thickness would make no difference at all with a rubber bushing.

    Fortunately the cure was simple and once I figured it out it only took a few minutes per collet to fit it properly. I used 100 grit to fit it to size and then followed up with some 600 grit to polish it out. Pic isn't the actual collet but just something to show the process:




    And yes Bill, those really are my fingers in this pic :-)
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla / Eibach ProKit / Koni Yellows / H-Sport F&R Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

  11. #11
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 01 2014
    AZ Member #
    168778
    Location
    Richmond, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Yes I did. I communicated with Mike (TyrolSport's owner) and it does appear that the mounting ears on my calipers are slightly thicker than expected. They have sold hundreds of these kits with no issues. Maybe the A5 sourced calipers from a different source than the a4? Normally the difference in thickness would make no difference at all with a rubber bushing.

    Fortunately the cure was simple and once I figured it out it only took a few minutes per collet to fit it properly. I used 100 grit to fit it to size and then followed up with some 600 grit to polish it out...
    It sounds like most installations should go smoothly then. Good thing the collet is bronze and not stainless steel or you would have been at it quite a bit longer! I take it you miked it before and after sanding to determine the .015" reduction?

  12. #12
    Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 28 2006
    AZ Member #
    14483
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA
    Location
    Western Maryland

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueStar View Post
    It sounds like most installations should go smoothly then. Good thing the collet is bronze and not stainless steel or you would have been at it quite a bit longer! I take it you miked it before and after sanding to determine the .015" reduction?
    Yessir I did. All the collets measured .123" so I sanded them down to .108" and the circle clips fit snugly in place.
    Last edited by old guy; Yesterday at 09:10 AM.
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla / Eibach ProKit / Koni Yellows / H-Sport F&R Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

  13. #13
    Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12 2017
    AZ Member #
    399355
    My Garage
    needs cleaned
    Location
    Land of Archaic Anachronisms

    Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post


    And yes Bill, those really are my fingers in this pic :-)
    just back from your manicure, i see....
    Billy

    Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

    2011 A5 2.0T Old Man Project
    2011 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (Modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Elderodo
    Avatar Chart



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2018 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.