Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA

Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Back in 2010, as a birthday present, I received a Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit for my A4 B6. Clicky click®. It’s a rather long thread. Cliff Notes Version: A great product. I modified the kit a little and ultimately ended up testing a prototype version for Tyrolsport that was an improvement on my modification. So here I am getting a repeat birthday present 8 years later. Clicky click2®

I plan on installing the kit in the next few days and will post up my impressions. I sure hope it makes the same improvement on the B8 as it did on the B6!

A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla / Eibach ProKit / Koni Yellows / H-Sport F&R Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

Veteran Member Four Rings Audibot's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Had one of those on my B7. Was a great improvement over the stock rubber bushings, along with stainless lines. Got rid of them when I sold them and threw on 18Zs.
    2016 A6 TDI Prestige - S-Line, Black Optics, Driver Assistance, HUD, LED Headlights, Cold Weather, Warm Weather
    2003 allroad 6MT - STUKLR Stage 1, Hotchkis sway bars, RS4 engine mounts, Apikol rear diff mounts

Senior Member Four Rings 19birel's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '13 A4 Prem+, '00 VW Golf GLS

I eyed these up for my old B5 a few years back but never pulled the trigger. Let us know what you think! I might have to get those for when I install my A7 BBK
    Monsoon Grey Metallic/Titanium Grey 2013 Audi A4 Prem+ 2.0T Quattro 6MT w/Sport Pkg BUILD THREAD
    " There's only one thing for it...FIRE UP THE QUATTRO "

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

This brake stiffening kit plus stainless steel lines seems like a nice upgrade to the stock A4 brakes, but the cost would be $156 + $100. About 1/2 to 1/3 of what it would cost to upgrade to the 4 piston Q5/Macan Brembos. What is your opinion on which would have a better cost:benefit?

Q5/Macan Brembos certainly win for the aesthetic appeal and unsprung weight savings.
    2011 B8 A4 ZF8HP // JHM K04-R // APR v3.1 // 034 HFC // Treadstone TR8 FMIC // Snow Performance Stage 2 WM Injection // Bilstein B12 Pro-kit // Borla Downpipe // // Rockford 8" Woofers // JL 10" Sub // 2200 W // Audison BitOne DSP

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by A4x View Post
    This brake stiffening kit plus stainless steel lines seems like a nice upgrade to the stock A4 brakes, but the cost would be $156 + $100. About 1/2 to 1/3 of what it would cost to upgrade to the 4 piston Q5/Macan Brembos. What is your opinion on which would have a better cost:benefit?

Q5/Macan Brembos certainly win for the aesthetic appeal and unsprung weight savings.
    Also about 1/3 the cost to get a 17Z or 18Z kit (6 piston from Q7/Touareg), lines, pads, and discs included (I've done these before).
    2016 A6 TDI Prestige - S-Line, Black Optics, Driver Assistance, HUD, LED Headlights, Cold Weather, Warm Weather
    2003 allroad 6MT - STUKLR Stage 1, Hotchkis sway bars, RS4 engine mounts, Apikol rear diff mounts

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Make sure to clean these up every two weeks if you live in areas where winter brings SALTY roads.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harryn View Post
    Make sure to clean these up every two weeks if you live in areas where winter brings SALTY roads.
    That was a real issue with the original Tyrolsport inserts. Since then the design has been modified and corrosion is no longer an issue. The set I installed on my B6 eight years ago are still corrosion free and working fine.

Looking at the design for the B8 calipers I don't expect any corrosion issues. As you can see the bronze bushings are protected on either end by using parts of the OEM rubber bushings to seal them off.

A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla / Eibach ProKit / Koni Yellows / H-Sport F&R Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

AZ Member #

Oh wow... well then, I guess I will give this another go! Thanks for the info, old guy. :)

Veteran Member Four Rings kaz02a4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 A4 2.0T, RIP 2007 A4 2.0T, 2002 A4 1.8T, RIP 1998 LGTL

Curious to see the impressions on this kit for the B8. I will be refreshing my brakes for some track days in 2019, and may add this to the list if it improves feel. I wonder how the bronze/304L would do under heavy track use heat compared to the stock setup...
    -Brandon

RIP B7: Stg. 1 UM, RS4 rear sway, Apikol snub mount, trip computer retrofit, OEM bi-xenons retrofit, RS4 seats retrofit, B7 S4 Ti wheels, BSH CC, 034 SD mounts, restitched steering wheel by my own hand

Hello B8: P+ Quattro, 6 Speed, Sport. Stg. 1 APR, CR-15, S5 brakes, and the beginnings of a track day build...

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I installed the TyrolSport Brake Stiffening Kit today. What should have been a one hour job ended up being a three hour job because of some clearance issues that I encountered. I will outline the issue and the cure in case someone is interested in the stiffeners and encounters the same thing.

Driving impressions: The brake pedal feels noticeably stiffer. That initial mushiness is completely gone and the brakes engage immediately. When bringing the car down quickly from highway speeds the braking feels a lot more linear. You don't feel the need to increase the pedal pressure to maintain the same rate of deceleration. It won't turn your OEM brakes into a BBK but it does provide a decent "bang for the buck". Kinda like getting a stage 1 tune for your brakes.

Clearance issues: After you remove the OEM stuff you insert the bronze bushings. Then you add a collet to the other side of the bushing and secure the assembly with a circle clip.

Collet insertion:

Circle Clip Installation:

The issue I ran into was that the collet didn’t insert far enough to install the circle clip. The groove for the circle clip was partially covered by the collet. I ended up having to cut .015” off of the face of the collet in order to expose the full groove for the circle clip. After that it easily went together.

Was it worth $155? I think so. I feel the improvement every time I hit the brakes. It adds to the overall responsiveness of the car and to the driving experience.

Established Member Four Rings Novarider's Avatar
    AZ Member #

How did you cut .015" off? That's not something most people can do at home accurately. Most people would have to try to sand it down.

Had I spent $155 on a brake "upgrade" part that didn't fit I'd be HIGHLY pissed.
    2011 A4 Avant Prestige S-Line

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    How did you cut .015" off? That's not something most people can do at home accurately. Most people would have to try to sand it down.

Had I spent $155 on a brake "upgrade" part that didn't fit I'd be HIGHLY pissed.
    Poor wording on my part. I sanded it down. The circle clip metal strip was .015" so to insert two turns you need .030" of clearance. I could only get one turn inserted. I used calipers to measure the collet thickness at .123" so I sanded it down to .108". After that it went together fine.
    Last edited by old guy; Yesterday at 09:15 AM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Poor wording on my part. I sanded it down. The circle clip metal strip was .015" so to insert two turns you need .030" of clearance. I could only get one turn inserted. I used calipers to measure the collet thickness at 1.023" so I sanded it down to 1.008". After that it went together fine.
    So you had to sand down each collet by .015"? Or did it vary depending on which caliper you were working on?
    I wouldn't be too pleased either...
    -Brandon

RIP B7: Stg. 1 UM, RS4 rear sway, Apikol snub mount, trip computer retrofit, OEM bi-xenons retrofit, RS4 seats retrofit, B7 S4 Ti wheels, BSH CC, 034 SD mounts, restitched steering wheel by my own hand

Hello B8: P+ Quattro, 6 Speed, Sport. Stg. 1 APR, CR-15, S5 brakes, and the beginnings of a track day build...

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaz02a4 View Post
    So you had to sand down each collet by .015"? Or did it vary depending on which caliper you were working on?
    I wouldn't be too pleased either...
    All of the collets measured exactly the same as well as the amount of interference with each position on the caliper. So either the mounting ears on the calipers were slightly thicker than the kit was designed for or the collets/bushings were machined to an incorrect spec. I suspect the calipers are slightly thicker than the ones TyrolSport used to develop the kit.

I am planning to call Mike@Tyrolsport today and discuss what I encountered. I have worked with Tyrolsport in the past. A great company to deal with.

AZ Member #

I wish they had a front and rear setup, unless this kit works on the front and rear axels? On my M3, I got the Turner Motorsports version of this very same thing, on both the front and rear of the car. Works great and far more responsive. I'd love to bring that to the A4 as well as my B5 S4.

AZ Member #

Probably the mounting ears on the calipers are off. They are mass-produced parts, and likely have some level of variability. The Tyrolsport parts are machined, so should have tighter tolerances.

That said, I'd still be pissed as mentioned if I bought something that didn't fit.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harryn View Post
    I wish they had a front and rear setup, unless this kit works on the front and rear axels? On my M3, I got the Turner Motorsports version of this very same thing, on both the front and rear of the car. Works great and far more responsive. I'd love to bring that to the A4 as well as my B5 S4.
    I'm pretty sure that the rear calipers are hard bushed so there is no need for the bronze bushings in the rear.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Audibot View Post
    Probably the mounting ears on the calipers are off. They are mass-produced parts, and likely have some level of variability. The Tyrolsport parts are machined, so should have tighter tolerances.

That said, I'd still be pissed as mentioned if I bought something that didn't fit.
    I have been in touch with Mike (TyrolSport's owner) and it does appear that the mounting ears on my calipers are slightly thicker than expected. They have sold hundreds of these kits with no issues. Maybe the A5 sourced calipers from a different source than the a4? Normally the difference in thickness would make no difference at all with a rubber bushing.

Fortunately the cure was simple and once I figured it out it only took a few minutes per collet to fit it properly. I used 100 grit to fit it to size and then followed up with some 600 grit to polish it out. Pic isn't the actual collet but just something to show the process:

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Oops, I sent you a PM without seeing the update here.
    Hmm.

You have the stock A4 brakes, I imagine? In other words, the calipers/carriers that came with the car?
    I have S5 carriers as well as the calipers (even though the caliper is the same...), but I can't imagine anything would be different.
    -Brandon

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaz02a4 View Post
    Oops, I sent you a PM without seeing the update here.
    Hmm.

You have the stock A4 brakes, I imagine? In other words, the calipers/carriers that came with the car?
    I have S5 carriers as well as the calipers (even though the caliper is the same...), but I can't imagine anything would be different.
    I have the stock calipers that came on my 2013 A5. It's possible that the A5 calipers were sourced from a different OEM supplier than the A4. Thus possibly the slight difference in measurements. With rubber bushings the difference would not matter at all. I will be looking for any type of casting number on the calipers as well as some detailed measurements to send to Mike.

Fortunately, if you happen to run into the same issue the cure is pretty simple.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I have had the Tyrolsport brake stiffeners for 4 years, I believe you need to lubricate them (the stainless pins) I have not yet but will be this month, Old Guy did you lubricate yours on the B6 in the time you were running them? Oh I am in a dry climate with no snow or salt roads just 100F plus temps in summer :)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

The stiffeners in the A4 have been in around 120k miles. I regreased them once several years ago when I replaced the brakes and rotors. About two months ago I did a paint refresh on the wheels and calipers. At that time I pulled the pins to remove the calipers for painting and consequently checked the pins and they were fine. No corrosion and still well greased.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Good to know thanks Old Guy AKA Fletcher :)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

All good info, thanks everyone!

I sent a note to the guys at TyrolSport to ask about any issues in the track environment. My only fear is that the bronze alloy/SS slider pins would heat up and, given the tight tolerances of the new assembly, would bind (disclaimer: I'm an auto engineer who works around hot components and <20 micron clearances daily). I'm more looking for reassurance that these have been tested in a track environment or heated + actuated with no ill effects.

Sure, it may be a bit superfluous, but I want to cover all my bases before I go messing with the stock brake setup. Can't have a failure on the track...
    -Brandon