Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Two Rings Awdi4Life's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A lot of free space to work on my B8

OEM R8 Brembo BBK on A4 B8

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I've done a tone of research and keep hitting dead ends; I'm desperate and I've dumped enough money. I did a bolt on OEM R8 BBK upgrade on my Audi A4 b8 (2011); they were installed by the dealer and there was no concern or anything brought up preventing them to do it; again it is the dealer so it's a box of chocolates. I've had to do this twice and here's why; everything was working great up until about 4K miles and no more then 5-6 mos of having them on the car. Starting getting shutter when breaking at higher speeds but only when I tapped on the brakes slowly, when I was firm with the pedal it would be smooth. It eventually started getting worse and after looking at the rotors a lip had developed on both of the new rotors. The lips were so deep that you couldn't even turn them if you wanted to, but it is my understanding that it is not advised to turn those type of rotors. So; I bought the same rotor and pads OEM Brembo and again, worked great for a few months and now it's happening again. I'm at my wits end with this and I just can't seem to find an answer so I'm going to try and lean on my fellow AZers.

The fact that the OEM R8 BBK are compatible with the B8 chassis (RS4, S4, A4) I would think that it would just be bolt on parts. My question is; do we need to upgrade the Master Cylinder with these upgrade on the A4s? I mean if that was the case I would expect there to be a problem right away? I've also read that it's the OEM Brembo Pads that are the issue and to use the Hawk 5.0 pads but I'm not completely confident if that really is the long term solution, maybe it is idk.

PLEASE; any help input would help!!!
    ~2011 A4 P+ APR K04~

APR K04 | APR/Carbonio CAI | APR Tback Quad Exhaust | EC Rotamass Pulley | EC FMIC | EC AK Drivetrain Stabilizer | EC Swaybars & Endlinks | H&R Sport Springs | 034Motorsport Trans. Mount | TSW Nurburgring 20x9 (Matte Black) | P3 Gauge | Luft-Technik Intake Air Scoop

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

OEM R8 Brembo BBK on A4 B8

Do you have the 6 pot ceramic or 8 pot caliper? Curious because I believe that would relate to your master cylinder question. If you got the 8 pots youíd definitely want to upgrade to the RS5 master and would (probably) also need a brake booster to house it. That being said, the pedal would probably go to the floor from day 1 so youíd notice that right away, maybe not depending on your tolerance and driving/braking style.

Iím currently in the middle of a RS7 (390mm front, 356mm) BBK upgrade and it too is a direct bolt on kit like the R8. They are 6 pots and to be safe I plan (and have purchased) to upgrade the master cylinder to the RS5. I know plenty of peeps have upgraded to the Porsche 19zís (6 pot) and did not upgrade the master cylinder. But I really donít believe this would have a profound enough effect on your rotors. Could be wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Audizine
    2013 Allroad Premium + | Ice Silver Metallic/Black | B&O | Carbon Atlas | S - Line Comp FBSW | APR Stage 1 E85 | Airlift 3P | SPC Adjustable Control Arms | CR-15 | Ti 20X10.5 BBS CH-R ET25| 255/35 MPSS | blah blah blah

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Itís the 8 Pot setup and itís a direct bolt on; there is no discussion of having to upgrade the master cylinder, at least that I could find. To your point; I would have noticed it right away with brake pedal float but they are solid and there is no float in it at all. Itís the same issue everyone seems to have with these where itís perfect for a few thousand miles before itís starts to shutter. I just pulled the trigger on the Hawk HPS 5.0 pads so Iím gonna give that a shot.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I'd be interested in hearing about your experience with the HPS pads. I may ditch the Brembo OEM pads and go this route. Keep me posted!

For your reference:
    https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ke-Kits-Thread

Also, another mention of the master cylinder upgrade:
    https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...Brakes-Upgrade
    2013 Allroad Premium + | Ice Silver Metallic/Black | B&O | Carbon Atlas | S - Line Comp FBSW | APR Stage 1 E85 | Airlift 3P | SPC Adjustable Control Arms | CR-15 | Ti 20X10.5 BBS CH-R ET25| 255/35 MPSS | blah blah blah

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Will do

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by makisupa View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing about your experience with the HPS pads. I may ditch the Brembo OEM pads and go this route. Keep me posted!

For your reference:
    https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ke-Kits-Thread

Also, another mention of the master cylinder upgrade:
    https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...Brakes-Upgrade
    Thanks for the references btw, very helpful and informative.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    ~2011 A4 P+ APR K04~

APR K04 | APR/Carbonio CAI | APR Tback Quad Exhaust | EC Rotamass Pulley | EC FMIC | EC AK Drivetrain Stabilizer | EC Swaybars & Endlinks | H&R Sport Springs | 034Motorsport Trans. Mount | TSW Nurburgring 20x9 (Matte Black) | P3 Gauge | Luft-Technik Intake Air Scoop

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2019 Cayman GTS, 2016 Forester XT, 2013 S5, 2011 A4 avanti, 2004 TSX

I used to have the RS5 brake with scallop rotors put on my S5. I have the OEM pads for ~10k miles and then switch to HPS 5.0 for another 3k miles. Went through aggressive driving + braking + Toronto winter. Never have a single problem and I didn't upgrade any master cylinder. It just eat the pad fast. The OEM pads give better feel on initial bite but HPS is way less brake dust. The reason I switched to Alcon is just because of the looks on black caliper vs red caliper.
    2019 718 Cayman GTS 6MT
    2016 Subaru Dark Grey Forester XT touring
    2013 Audi Phantom Black S5 6MT Sport Diff, 20" BBS CH-R, Navi, B&O, PSS10, AK, EC sway, Alcon BBK, RS grille & Ecode
    2011 Audi Deep Sea Blue A4 Avant prestige, 19" OEM Ti rotors, PSS10, AK, sway, RS style grille + rear spoiler, Votrex diffusor
    2004 Acura Premium White TSX 6MT