Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings Spike00513's Avatar
    AZ Member #

$300 alarm siren??

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So a while ago, my alarm started going off randomly. Like it had a mind of it's own.

I'm not sure why, but I yanked the siren out of the trunk (hard to access in an avant), so it would stop.
    Now whether it triggers or not (red door LED stays lit), it doesn't make a sound. Though I fear this might drain my battery.

I'm not sure what causes it. If it's the siren itself, which maybe still works due to making sound?
    Either way, I think the rechargeable batteries in it might be dead, and the green circuit board looks kinda melted from battery acid.

So I thought about buying a new siren, and then sometime within the next 10 years, wiring up a separate enclosure of rechargeable batteries. So that if they leak eventually, it won't contaminate the circuit board.

However, the problem is a new siren is like $300. Who wants to pay that much for a small plastic thing?

Aaaaand the keyfob lock function no longer works. IDK if that has anything to do with it. To start off troubleshooting, I've ordered new fob batteries and will install them, and try re-pairing the keyfob from inside the car, or using VAG-COM.
    The car is basically ghetto now. To open it, I have to use the keyblade. And to lock it, I have to double-press the interior lock button, and then finally lock from outside with the keyblade.

Anyone ever gone through this?
    I don't even know what happened. Just that the alarm started going off on it's own and I didn't have time for that shit (or fixing it), so I simply tore into the car and ripped out the siren to make it quiet.

The battery still works, but cranking is kinda weak/slow.

From what I understand, the sedan version of the siren is different.

AZ Member #

Sounds like the acid leaked over the circuit board and fried the siren. Whatís the PN? Probably the same unit in B7/B7 cars plus C6 A6ís, just pick up a decent used one, inspect the board for battery acid and replace the batteries before install and you should be good to go.
    Xlite w/ 11spd Campy Record- 2005 Dolphin Grey Ultrasport Avant 6MT-- 2001.5 Light Silver Metallic Avant 5MT w/ Sludge Package --1979 Scout II

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by V70R View Post
    Sounds like the acid leaked over the circuit board and fried the siren. Whatís the PN? Probably the same unit in B7/B7 cars plus C6 A6ís, just pick up a decent used one, inspect the board for battery acid and replace the batteries before install and you should be good to go.
    I'll look up the PN. I think it might even be the same thing used in Lamborghini's.
    Yes, I thought about buying a used one. Though I can't help but wonder if they're all fried by now, considering all B6's are old now. Unless it gets sourced from a newer one, such as the B7 and C6 you mention.
    Would be much cheaper.

Am just curious to know if that's what caused the constant alarm triggering as well.

Registered Member Four Rings EuroxS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Atlas Grey A4 Avant 1.8T 6speed manual quattro,2002 GSXR 600

All audis 2002 and up use the same siren up to 2015 all same stuff can be found for $40 on ebay factory siren.
    VW/Audi Immobilizer removal and immobilizer adapting solutions for any and all VAG Vehicles,Odometer matching, SKC/Pin retrieval services.Located in Northern NJ.For inquries pm for details.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Just going though this myself. Locks still worked fine just got no chirp from the alarm so swapped it out for a used one. Still no chirp. The interior lights still work and I saw in some posts on this that they are on the same circuit so this should indicate the fuse is ok.
    The alarm has 3 wires to it. Does anyone know if it is possible to test the alarm out of the car by applying power (and ground) to the wires directly?

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1988 Merkur XR4Ti, 1986 911 Coupe, 1991 Alfa Romeo 164

The two different sirens you show are interchangeable. The bigger one is the earlier one - it's what was on my 2002 from the factory.

Like many others, I've had issues with my sirens. I decided it wasn't worth bothering with any more and just removed it. It's a 18 year-old car as of this month. Nobody is stealing it.
    Brad 2002 Quattro 1.8T w/ 2.8 B5 5-speed

AZ Member #

PN is 8L0951605A. Used throughout all 02-08 A4ís. Call a local dismantler and you should be able to get one in the $30 range. Pop the siren apart, inspect that batteries have not leaked any acid onto the circuit board (99% sure that was the culprit to your first failure), replace with new batteries and install.

This is a good topic, going to look into either making a DIY for this next week before $8 in batteries fry a spendy component.
    Xlite w/ 11spd Campy Record- 2005 Dolphin Grey Ultrasport Avant 6MT-- 2001.5 Light Silver Metallic Avant 5MT w/ Sludge Package --1979 Scout II

Senior Member Four Rings Kevin C's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1987 Dodge Raider G54B Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by V70R View Post
    PN is 8L0951605A. Used throughout all 02-08 A4ís. Call a local dismantler and you should be able to get one in the $30 range. Pop the siren apart, inspect that batteries have not leaked any acid onto the circuit board (99% sure that was the culprit to your first failure), replace with new batteries and install.

This is a good topic, going to look into either making a DIY for this next week before $8 in batteries fry a spendy component.
    Close to what I did... I got one off of Ebay for $40 from a 2007 A4. It takes a fine saw to cut open the case. I also conformal coated the PCB to make it more corrosion resistant. I put the case back together with urethane adhesive from Home Depot. The same batter is used on the newer units. The new units have a different connector and pin connections. If you can get one for chap they are a good way to get a newer battery. Also, the pig tail often gets corroded.
    03 A4 Quattro, 1.8T, 02X six speed conversion/ GJW (4.11 final drive). RS4 RSB, H&R FSB.

Veteran Member Three Rings john_gonzo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

More info, links and pics here: alarm-horn-not-plug-and-play?

Veteran Member Four Rings AvantNoir's Avatar
    AZ Member #

2005 USP A4 Avant 1.8T Follow me on instagram @cbarz

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AvantNoir View Post
    Funny that the Lambo one is $100 vs $30 for the Audi ones.

anyone any idea on how to bench test the alarm?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti View Post
    The two different sirens you show are interchangeable. The bigger one is the earlier one - it's what was on my 2002 from the factory.

Like many others, I've had issues with my sirens. I decided it wasn't worth bothering with any more and just removed it. It's a 18 year-old car as of this month. Nobody is stealing it.
    True. Well, hopefully I figure out what triggers it for no reason, at least. To avoid a suspected battery drain. That and fixing the fob functionality.
    Because it feels like more about handing the keys to other people, than theft prevention.
    For example, leaving it with a shop to do an alignment. Or letting a friend borrow the car. Or tire shop.
    Having the car in bad shape and not working as new makes it a pain

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1988 Merkur XR4Ti, 1986 911 Coupe, 1991 Alfa Romeo 164

Quote Originally Posted by Spike00513 View Post
    True. Well, hopefully I figure out what triggers it for no reason, at least. To avoid a suspected battery drain. That and fixing the fob functionality.
    Because it feels like more about handing the keys to other people, than theft prevention.
    For example, leaving it with a shop to do an alignment. Or letting a friend borrow the car. Or tire shop.
    Having the car in bad shape and not working as new makes it a pain
    There's no functionality lost when you remove the siren. None. I miss the little chirp after I lock the doors, but I've mostly gotten over it.
    Brad 2002 Quattro 1.8T w/ 2.8 B5 5-speed

Registered Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

ebay get one from a nicer car thats been cared for like a rs4, thats what i did, the rest of your problems dunno sounds like somethings getting wet