Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Budget Air Suspension

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Im looking into getting air suspension over coilovers on my mostly stock audi a4b8 and I was wondering if there are any budget options, universal bag over coil kits ?, manual management ?, Universal rear spring replacements ? If anyone has any experience or knowledge of any ways to get bags on a budget I would be open to suggestions. I was just wondering if anyone knows any cheaper ways to get my car on bags or if I should just go for it and drop the money on an airlift V2 kit. Bags are really my only option due to the poor road quality here in my local area so just looking for advice on ways to get my car on bags without breaking the bank. Thanks

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Theres a couple kits on here for sale right now. Checks those out. Id personally go with the accuair systems as thats what i have on my car but if youre budgeting, go with bag over shock setup. I was thinking of running the airlift struts and shocks at one point but if you go that route and the shock starts to leak, youe SOL and have to buy a whole new shock with bag attached to it rather than just changing the bag or strut with a bag over shock setup.

Active Member Two Rings alvarez's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Built 05 Legacy GT & 2013 Audi S4

Quote Originally Posted by Brickhockey3 View Post
    Im looking into getting air suspension over coilovers on my mostly stock audi a4b8 and I was wondering if there are any budget options, universal bag over coil kits ?, manual management ?, Universal rear spring replacements ? If anyone has any experience or knowledge of any ways to get bags on a budget I would be open to suggestions. I was just wondering if anyone knows any cheaper ways to get my car on bags or if I should just go for it and drop the money on an airlift V2 kit. Bags are really my only option due to the poor road quality here in my local area so just looking for advice on ways to get my car on bags without breaking the bank. Thanks
    I ran bags on my built Subaru LGT for years after running coilovers. Now I am about to bag my S4. Paying for a decent setup will save you the pain the entry level budget kits bring. As far as brands Accuair vs Airlift (management wise)...I have had both and was happy with either one. I will be reusing my V2 on the S4.

Buying Tips:
    -buy a management that suits your needs.
    -buy a tank setup that will allow you to retain your trunk needs.

Buying Used:
    -make sure the harness is intact and not spliced in 100 different places that were not intended to be by the manufacturer. (Or just pick a new harness up)
    -get detailed pictures of the bags to make sure they are not worn.
    -check if the adjustment collars on the struts are not seized. (Your knuckles will thank you)

Miles can be deceiving at times. One person can have driven their car for 20k miles and another for only 10k miles. The 10k miles might seem better but if they beat the hell out of the car on harsh roads then you might want to consider the 20k set or 10k with possible new shocks.

In all you can pick up a used V2 complete kit for around $700ish (includes compressor and all) and a set of used airlift struts and bags for around $800. So you would be looking at a used setup for around $1500 (with self installation).

Accuair aims at reusing the stock struts. Very convenient, yet comes at an expensive price tag. I believe their is a member on here selling his used set. Might want to send him a PM on pricing for the bags and perhaps buy your own management.

Air suspension in my opinion is cheap as I spent over $4k on my Accuair elevel and airlift suspension years back. Now I will be running a V2 and brand new airlift bags and struts for around $2k. Buying new I know I will lose money but have the ease of mind they will work properly.

Summary:
    Buying new will make life easier. You will lose money once you try to resell it down the road. One of the many reasons others still have yet to sell their used sets. Buying used you eliminate losing money as you could most likely sell for the price you paid or perhaps find someone to even pay a little more.

Manual management will get the job done but all sides wonít be equal when aired up. Also, correct me if Iím wrong,that means you run all air lines to the switches. Which is harder than running a simple remote wire up to your center console.

My advice would be by some used components that were designed for the car specifically. That way it rides properly. This allows for you to invest money and most likely get it all back in the end after you are done having fun with the car. To further reduce your over all cost Iíd recommend self installation. Kits like the V2 and 3P are pretty simple to install if you follow the instructions given. E-level and 3H of course are more complicated. If you cant afford a used system then Iíd say just stick with stock suspension as ride quality and user experience will most likely not be pleasant on universal products as they were not specifically designed for our cars in mind.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I am not endorsing these, and I have no experience with them, but this is a pretty damn good deal for a full kit and it has a lifetime warranty.

I have NEVER owned a raceland product, so do not buy them based on anything I am saying. I am sure someone on here has tried them though.

https://raceland.com/audi-coilovers/...on-system.html

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

You would think there would be a review of the race land bags on here but I have not been able to find anything anywhere online.

Active Member Two Rings alvarez's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Built 05 Legacy GT & 2013 Audi S4

You would think there would be a review of the race land bags on here but I have not been able to find anything anywhere online.
    There is a review someone did on them over on the VW forum. Yet has only driven 3-5k miles on them so far.

Established Member Two Rings zzzz05725's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Manual management exists, but I doubt you will find any used:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-air-lift...alves/27666kt/

Also, bags are never someoneís only option, so donít feel pressured to stretch your budget for them. Only persue this install if you have ridden in a car with the bags you are considering, and can justify spending alot more for height adjustment on the fly. I bought my car on airlift airsprings and struts, and ride quality was mediocre at best on Maine roads.

2006 Quartz Grey A4 6MT (Formerly Owned by DannyDeez) (Sold)
    2010 Imola Yellow S4 6MT (Formerly Owned by Despise)

AWE Touring Catback, ECS KLT Intake, A4 Avant ST X Coilovers, ECS RS4 Grill, ECS Short Shifter, ECS Stainless Clutch Line, 034 X-Brace, 034 RSB,