Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Four Rings rhfosu's Avatar
    AZ Member #

LOW BOOST CODE SOLVED!! Shout out to chris86vw!

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have posted several threads on this over the last year, beginning with my APR k04 shitting the bed. I replaced it with a NOS Stasis/Loba unit sold to me by chris86vw.

From the beginning, I had low boost CEL issues after the replacement. Over the course of 9+ months, I went back to the installer numerous times with log data asking them to double check the wastegate tension. I was charged for multiple diagnostics and told first that the turbo was bad (it wasn't) because of excess oil in the intercooler (a valve cover change fixed this) then that there was a leak in the pressfit seam of the turbo silencer, confirmed via smoke test at 25 psi. Chris gave me a handshake warranty on the Loba k04, and when I contacted him 9 months after buying it, he told me to come out to his shop and he'd do whatever he could to make it right.

So, on Monday I drove all the way out to Martinsburg, WV, to Chris's shop. The plan was to pull the compressor housing, clean up the muffler as well as possible, and TIG weld the seam. However, we pressure tested the system to 20 psi, and there did not seem to be a leak from that seam. Chris had told me previously that it was unlikely the 200mb difference between actual and requested boost I was seeing was the result of a leak in that seam, and it turns out he was right. If it was leaking at all at 25 psi, we couldn't duplicate it. However, one of the boost lines up top was leaking slightly...still not sure how/why, and reseating it seems to have solved the issue...but nothing was coming out of that seam on the muffler.

After that, we did some logging...boost was still low, but in a weird way. The codes I was getting for low boost always came on at around 3500 rpm...with the load under 60%. When the ecu was calling for more boost up higher, the turbo could deliver it, but not down low. It was clearly capable of making more boost, but wouldn't for some reason. We pressure tested the wastegate, and it turns out it was actually cracking at about 6.5-6.8 psi...not 7 on the nose. I had asked my installer to verify the wastegate tension several times, and they always told me it was at 7 psi, which is what the APR tune calls for. It was a pain in the ass, but he disconnected the down pipe/cat and was able to get his hands on the wastegate adjusters. He tightened it up about a full turn, so the wastegate would open at around 7.5 psi. It was theorized a while back that this might solve the problem, but my installer wouldn't try it. Well, that seemed to have fixed the issue. We did some pulls up and down 81, and the requested v actual boost across the rev range was lining up WAY closer...in some cases it the actual was over slightly, but then the wastegate would crack and it would even out.

So, long story short, I think my problem is finally solved. Car is pulling hard and not throwing anymore pending DTCs for low boost. Chris spent the whole day, from 9 to 5, messing with it and didn't ask for a dime. He is a good dude, and if you are in the Martinsburg, WV area, give him a holler. He knows his shit, he stands by his work and the stuff he sells, and he's a great guy. I enjoyed spending the day with him, and he's a real credit to the Audi community. Thanks again Chris!
    "I don't understand Audi enthusiasts. They buy a car that looks like a bar of soap, then they spend money modifying it so it looks slightly less like a bar of soap."

Established Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Wastegate crack pressure is a bitch sometimes. Mine was suppose to be set to 10 but it came adjusted to only 6. It took me a LONG ass time to come to that conclusion. I got it adjusted perfect and then changed out some hardware so I think I need to make another slight adjustment because my duty cycle is high again.

Read my thread “why is my car so slow”. 😀
    2005.5 A4 Avant: JHM K04R, GIAC K04 tune, NGK BKR8EIX plugs, RS4 PRV, RS4 fuel pump controller, Treadstone TR6 intercooler core with JHM pipe kit, CTS Turbo test pipe, ECS Tuning snub mount, 034 street tranny mount, 034 street motor mounts, ECS Tuning turbo inlet pipe, ECS Tuning RA4 clutch conversion, Billy Boat Stealth cat back, Fluidampr

Veteran Member Four Rings vce1232000's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    83 MK1 GTI Callaway Turbo stg II

Thats a hell of a from DC to WV
    APR KO4, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Cntr,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST CO, 034 RSB,034 St Dnsty Mtr Mts, New Sth West Bst guage, B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. RS4 PS rack, RS4 Servotronic Relay,RS4 rims. S4 mirror caps,DTM frt bmpr and rs4 fogs,LED tail lites
    S4 Recaro Front & Rear seats. Led Interior Kit,United LED's fog lites
    2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Tiptronic 6spd

Senior Member Four Rings rhfosu's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by vce1232000 View Post
    Thats a hell of a from DC to WV
    Eh, 2 hrs, but it was worth it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Audizine mobile app
    Last edited by rhfosu; 12-06-2018 at 08:15 AM.
    "I don't understand Audi enthusiasts. They buy a car that looks like a bar of soap, then they spend money modifying it so it looks slightly less like a bar of soap."

Veteran Member Four Rings vce1232000's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    83 MK1 GTI Callaway Turbo stg II

Quote Originally Posted by rhfosu View Post
    Eh, 2 hrs, but it way worth it.
    Damn... thats it ... Well worth the then
    APR KO4, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Cntr,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST CO, 034 RSB,034 St Dnsty Mtr Mts, New Sth West Bst guage, B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. RS4 PS rack, RS4 Servotronic Relay,RS4 rims. S4 mirror caps,DTM frt bmpr and rs4 fogs,LED tail lites
    S4 Recaro Front & Rear seats. Led Interior Kit,United LED's fog lites
    2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Tiptronic 6spd