Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Opinion on buying this high mileage B6 S4

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Gents I think its time I finally bought my first V8 S4, always wanted one! What do you think of this?

The car has 130,000 miles and asking price is USD $6,000.

From the seller:
    "The car is in excellent mechanical condition with the timing chains, actuators and guides replaced as of November 2017. The kit used was from ECS Tuning so it has the RS4 guides meaning it'll never have timing chain issues.
    All records are available for the buyer from the timing chain install to parts used. I have every record of every part installed on this vehicle.
    Recently replaced all 8 spark plugs, engine oil + filter, manual transmission fluid, differential fluid, intake manifold actuator, and two ignition coils.
    Car comes with brand new winter tires."

Thanks for your feedback!

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Sounds like a good deal. That's a $5k to $10k service that was just performed

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

Senior Member Three Rings s4ski's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 S4 Avant, Skiis

Without knowing other aspects of the car and its condition, seems like a great deal. Part of me is saying really, is it coming to this: selling a b6/7 S4 for the TC work value, but otherwise giving it away.

Senior Member Three Rings DarrenOman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Doesn't always make financial sense unfortunately

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Three Rings ginch's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Timing chains unfortunately are not the only components that lead to the demise of the S4 V8. It could be using oil due to scored cylinders. This is essentially a death sentence for these cars. I think it would be a good buy as long as you have someone boroscope the cylinders to see if there is any scoring!
    2008 Avus silver RS4
    1996 993 C4S
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport, Quadcab shorty, 6 speed, Wife's daily!

Gone
    2016 Reflex silver Golf R, 6 speed
    2008 Phantom black RS4
    B7 S4 Avant
    1993 964 C2
    2004 Reflex silver .:R32

Veteran Member Three Rings Toronto5.5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Seems like a good deal!

Established Member Two Rings Danny73's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2014 Audi S4 | DSG | Moonlight Blue | APR Stage I
    2006 Audi S4 25quattro #209 - sold
    1998 Mustang Cobra - sold
    1999 Mustang GT - sold

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    GL450, CLA250, Honda Accord

ask for the paperwork of the engine work that was serviced. Also call the shop cause sometimes they will have notes in their jobs about conditions of cylinder walls when they inspect.. I purchased my car with 173k miles on it for $6k with $8200 worth of engine work done at 168k. I track the crap out of my car and everything is still a go at 197k
    Audi S4 Avant track project. JHM tune, manual swap, JHM LWFW, JHM stage 4 clutch, JHM linkage trio, JHM intake spacers, JHM tensioner, 034 end links (front and rear), 034 Rear sway, 034 transmission mount, Apikol rear diff mount, ECS tuning Engine mounts, Stasis Motorsport Ohlins suspension, Brembo 18z BBK, VW Phaeton brake ducts, Red optima battery, Recaro Speed seats, Militek Catless DPs, Fast Intentions exhaust

Veteran Member Three Rings jhoward's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Check the oil and wipe off the engine before you take it for a good long test drive - drive it really hard, leaving it I a lower gear and keep the rpms in the 3-4K+ range. It'll chew up oil and flash all sorts of codes if there's any big problems, and if it squirts oil around the bay, the wipe down will show it. If it's still good, that's a solid price. Someone already mentioned scoping it

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine