Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings Spike00513's Avatar
    AZ Member #

did Koni just discontinue FSD shocks?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I can't find FSD's online anymore,
    and they were on sale not long ago. Maybe it was a clearance to liquidate inventory?

This is what ECS shows. 'STR.T' and 'Special Active', which I've never seen before.

Recent YouTube videos are claiming that 'Special Active' is a new thing.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-koni-par...pace-1011~kon/
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-koni-par.../82451008~kon/

Is it basically the old golden FSD's, but now painted red?
    The good thing is that new, these 'Special Active' shocks appear to cost about $430 total, not including the "up to $70 rebate" they seem to be running now.
    More affordable considering FSD's were regularly priced around $700-800, IIRC.

Veteran Member Four Rings ApexIt's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 A4

Be weary of the decrease in price. My past experience leads me to believe the quality will suffer, especially with a price cut of over 40%. Then again, they could be a lower range model and not as refined as the traditional ones. Not saying this is the case, but only time will tell once people start buying these and reporting back.
    AKA: numer24

RS4 Rear Sway :: KW V1 Coilovers :: B5S4 Calipers :: W&L Catalytic Converter :: 30% black tint :: S4 Door Blades

Veteran Member Three Rings pablolizarraga's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    "Hers": SQ5 His: 1966 Ford Mustang Coupe, 1965 Ford Mustang Fastback

Im still waiting on the FSD Dampers & Eibach Pro-Kit I ordered through Tire Rack in March. Yes. Almost a year.
    Ive asked if the product is discontinued and they’ve been told by Koni that it’s not discontinued, its on back order, and that Koni is updating part numbers for the kit. Last update I received was that they would arrive 12/07.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 A4 3.0 6MT

I returned my FSD rear shocks in July for replacement (the second time).

Koni sent the 'Special Active' red shocks as replacement.

Don't really notice any difference in handling or anything else. Except color.

Hopefully they are more heavy duty than the gold ones.
    Last edited by road_tripper; 12-05-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Veteran Member Three Rings oaybar007's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by pablolizarraga View Post
    Im still waiting on the FSD Dampers & Eibach Pro-Kit I ordered through Tire Rack in March. Yes. Almost a year.
    Ive asked if the product is discontinued and they’ve been told by Koni that it’s not discontinued, its on back order, and that Koni is updating part numbers for the kit. Last update I received was that they would arrive 12/07.

I would cancel that order and just go with the Koni Yellows/Eibach Pro Kit. I cannot tell you how happy I have been with this set up. It could be a tad stiffer spring-wise, but it does the job and is incredibly comfortable.

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA

Quote Originally Posted by oaybar007 View Post
    I would cancel that order and just go with the Koni Yellows/Eibach Pro Kit. I cannot tell you how happy I have been with this set up. It could be a tad stiffer spring-wise, but it does the job and is incredibly comfortable.
    A great combination! That was one of my first mods back in 2003 when I had less than 1,200 miles on my shiny new A4. Still running them today. I have adjusted the Koni's several times over the years and the outside of the shocks are covered with rust. but they still perform perfectly.
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla / Eibach ProKit / Koni Yellows / H-Sport F&R Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

Veteran Member Four Rings Spike00513's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by oaybar007 View Post
    I wonder if it's OK to save some money and re-use original sport spring, if the car came with it. Whether it be '05 sport, or '02 (lower and stiffer). That's what I was thinking of doing with FSD's in the past, and I've heard it even recommended.
    IDK if Eibach Pro Kit springs have to be paired with Koni (they're probably designed to work together; a lower travel sport shock with a lower travel sport spring),
    but certain B6's already have sport suspension. Not that Eibachs are a million bucks.

Eibach might lower it a bit more than regular sport, but I imagine AZ'ers have already figured out long ago whether it's extreme enough to mess with alignment and tire wear (such as lots of negative camber) and if it needs correction with adjustable UCA's (more $$$).
    It probably doesn't rub over bumps or in hard corners that try to body-roll the car and push the wheel up into the well.
    Whereas if it was a 255 section tire installed, that might burn a hole in a fender liner or something.

Senior Member Four Rings Kevin C's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1987 Dodge Raider G54B Turbo

I'm running FSD's and stock sport springs (2003), it's a very nice combo. You can still get FSD on Amazon for the B6, seems to be some old stock.
    03 A4 Quattro, 1.8T, 02X six speed conversion/ GJW (4.11 final drive). RS4 RSB, H&R FSB.

Veteran Member Three Rings pablolizarraga's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    "Hers": SQ5 His: 1966 Ford Mustang Coupe, 1965 Ford Mustang Fastback

At the time when I placed the order, the FSD+Eibach Pro-Kit was advertised for $609 and the Koni $70 rebate was in effect. Im already on stock sport springs, so getting the Eibach springs was a bonus on top of a really good deal on well reviewed shocks.

Sounds like road_tripper’s experience w/ FSD’s was not a good one. Plus he didn’t notice any difference between rear FSD’s and Actives. Since the Actives incorporate newer technology at a lower price point, then these might be a very good alternative for me.

Or... for $100 more get adjustable option on another well reviewed shock; Koni Yellows.
    Hmmm.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 A4 3.0 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by pablolizarraga View Post

Sounds like road_tripper’s experience w/ FSD’s was not a good one.
    I think I put my car through very unique stresses. I drive a lot on washboard dirt roads at highway speeds. Some of these trips include 50+ miles of dirt, washboard, gravel, rocks and so on. Probably only 35 miles are driven at over 50mph though. Maybe these shocks are not spec'd for heavy use for 2-3 hours with no rest stops!

I also tow my 3000lb travel trailer; driving 10-12 hours a day at the speed limit (not 55, californians!) with only fuel stops may or may not contribute to a bit of extra wear on the rear suspension.

I have about 80,000 miles on the front FSDs. only about 10K on the rear Special Actives; they haven't overheated yet.

I will say that the FSDs allow one to really speed through rough washboard though!

I bought a set for my Jeep too (heavily discounted from tirerack).