Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

AZ Member #

I broke the plug for my coolant sensor. Which wires go to which?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    As the title states, while taking apart my coolant sensor area I inadvertently crushed the coolant sensor plug using my unimaginable Hulkish strength. It's no longer plug-in-able and so I must replace it with a new one.

I plan to swap it out with an aftermarket solution instead of paying $999.98 for an Audi/VW item. I plan to use shrink-wrap and conduit to keep the new wires safe.

When I'm looking at plugs like this aftermarket one, how do I know which wire on the harness corresponds to which OEM wire? Does anyone have a reference for this?

Cheers.
    ////// Dolphin '02 A4
    21 states and counting
    Black trim | Milltek exhaust | bi-xenon Ecodes | short throw | sway bars | 202k
    OEM+ #60; Ozark Mountain Region SCCA Rallycross; Honda rider.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Get a used one from the breakers and solder it on.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Unless you completely destroyed it just de-pin it and transfer the wires/terminals over to the new housing.

Veteran Member Four Rings fR3ZNO's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by deyrag View Post
    Unless you completely destroyed it just de-pin it and transfer the wires/terminals over to the new housing.
    This^

So you don't have to mess around with soldering the wires and have issues down the road. The replacement housing is $12~ on ECS, far from $999.98

A little cheaper at $10 on AudiUSAParts
    "If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." - Ferdinand Porsche

AZ Member #

@caluma4x4 funny, I just sold my parts car. I'd rather a new one so it isn't brittle at all.

@deyrag it's pretty destroyed, see attached, but the pins are still intact

@fR3ZNO that is perfect. The only question I have left is, there are two ways that could be pinned out (180 degrees out from each other). Without the original to reference, how do I know which way is correct? Or does it matter?

audi coolant sensor plug.JPG
    ////// Dolphin '02 A4
    21 states and counting

Veteran Member Three Rings Let it snow's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    02 1.8TQ Sport 5 speed, 05 1.8TQ 6 speed

On the OEM plug there is small numbers on the face of it. 1 is blue and brown 2 is brown and yellow 3 is black 4 is brown and grey. It does matter where the wires go. I don't about your replacement part but OEM will have these numbers on it.

AZ Member #

I'll look on what's left of my OEM plug and see if they're still there.

Could anyone snap a photo of their sensor with the wires sticking out?
    ////// Dolphin '02 A4
    21 states and counting

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA

Some pics in here might help: Clicky clickŪ
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla / Eibach ProKit / Koni Yellows / H-Sport F&R Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

AZ Member #

I broke the plug for my coolant sensor. Which wires go to which?

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ness-Explained

Coolant Temp (Top)
    Connector: Black (4 pin)
    1: Blue with brown stripe
    2: Brown with yellow stripe
    3: Black
    4: Brown with grey stripe
    Like mentioned above the PIN numbers should be listed on the plug. Also see the pics on the ECS tuning page for the housing and you can see the numbers there as well.

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." - Ferdinand Porsche

AZ Member #

@old guy thanks for that! I can orient my wires that way and everything should work.

@fR3ZNO your Search Fu is strong. That thread will come in handy several times, I can tell.

I will have to see if enough remains of my plug to confirm the numbers line up, otherwise that photo is the next best thing. I've ordered a plug (and a clip) and my local VW dealer was able to get them in by Friday. More to come on this issue this weekend.
    ////// Dolphin '02 A4
    21 states and counting

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

And if you don't have a terminal de-pin tool google how to make your own before Friday :)

I purchased this one recently and it works perfectly. https://www.ebay.com/itm/173352753184

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Dake View Post
    @fR3ZNO your Search Fu is strong. That thread will come in handy several times, I can tell.

I will have to see if enough remains of my plug to confirm the numbers line up, otherwise that photo is the next best thing. I've ordered a plug (and a clip) and my local VW dealer was able to get them in by Friday. More to come on this issue this weekend.
    Thanks, lol.

Judging by your pic, the connector looks pretty destroyed, especially the upper portion where the numbers are stamped in. So may have to just match the colors to the pin numbers on the new connector.

AZ Member #

Thanks to everyone who helped out. I finally got the parts and repinned that plug. It lined up exactly as the numbers in fR3ZNO's post above, which I confirmed with the other linked images by old guy, and by simply trying to turn the car on with other orientations.

It made a night and day difference and I dare say this car hasn't started this quickly in years, no matter how nice it is outside.

For anyone reading this, I didn't have a de-pin tool but my original plug was so shot that the pins fell right out. They have these rubbery membranes on them, leave those there and simply push the wires into the new plug as hard as possible, then slide the purple locking tab into place from the side using a flathead screwdriver. Get them in the right slots the first time or you WILL need a tool to pull the wires back out.

Cheers everyone and thanks again.
    ////// Dolphin '02 A4
    21 states and counting

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

It's quite amazing the difference between a shot sensor and a new one.
    Glad you have it sorted

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Dake View Post
    Thanks to everyone who helped out. I finally got the parts and repinned that plug. It lined up exactly as the numbers in fR3ZNO's post above, which I confirmed with the other linked images by old guy, and by simply trying to turn the car on with other orientations.

It made a night and day difference and I dare say this car hasn't started this quickly in years, no matter how nice it is outside.

For anyone reading this, I didn't have a de-pin tool but my original plug was so shot that the pins fell right out. They have these rubbery membranes on them, leave those there and simply push the wires into the new plug as hard as possible, then slide the purple locking tab into place from the side using a flathead screwdriver. Get them in the right slots the first time or you WILL need a tool to pull the wires back out.

Cheers everyone and thanks again.
    Thanks for reporting back that everything is fixed!