Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Lightbulb Had a solo 'damaging' incident..involved insurance. Suggestions

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So last week I was exiting off the freeway and the car in front of me made a quick jerk to the left to avoid a blown tire on the road...I ended up with the tire underneath me as I was making a lane change in the opposite direction of the way that car moved. The tire took the lower front-right belly pan off (dragged and I tore it off). My car also went off the road slightly into the shoulder. The shoulder had a good 4-5" drop and I felt the impact underneath but couldnt see anything.

Long story short, my lower front control arm is quite affected yet I can't really feel it. I stopped by a new audi dealership today to put new belly pan on + i was due for an oil change and they quoted me:

full new belly pan (large piece) + control arm + labor = $1700. (lol)

My deductible is only $250 and I already put $130 towards it today for parts and labor of the smaller belly pan to be put in since my fuel lines were exposed and wanted peace of mind. This shouldnt affect my rates considering it didnt involve anyone else or another vehicle.

My question, has anyone dealt with this in regard to auto insurance + pics and getting this dealt with? How black and white do you have to be? I was curious if I took my car to an audi centric shop (if approved) for the agent to confirm my car is in fact damaged. Maybe replace the control arm(s) with 034 ones and call it a day considering my deductible and let the insurance pay the rest..because I guarantee you a shop like 034/JHM/2Bennet wouldnt cost me $1700 for one lower control arm + labor.

AZ Member #

The reason I ask about upgrading the control arms or trying to swing that during this process is because I am putting the new Ohlins R&T kit on the car in January, although I'm not trying to lower the car much but 15-20mm or so (I also have the Sport Suspension), I figured maybe its worth a shot? Or is that minimal of lowering not enough to have to worry about control arms and just let Audi do what they have to do outside of the $250 I spend to get the car fixed..

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I replaced all 4 lower control arms in the driveway in about 3hrs. I bought them from ecstuning for a reasonable price.

As far as the upgraded arms, I am lowered 1.25ish inches running stock arms. I have some camber but just a tad out of factory specs in front and in spec in the rear.

If you stay with the stock arms loosen the mounting bolts until you done and its sitting at ride height before tightening them. It will make the bushings a lot happier.

Senior Member Two Rings MME1122's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You generally don't want to replace only 1 control arm. Are you sure they aren't charging you for both sides?

If you have to replace them anyway going with the standard 0034 kit, not the adjustable kit, isn't a bad idea. The bushings are stiffer but other than that they're the same. If you're only lowering a little I wouldn't worry about adjustable arms, and the adjustable version apparently has issues where the arms will hit the body.

The belly pan you can easily do yourself, probably even without jack stands. Although lifting the car will certainly make it easier.

Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

Quote Originally Posted by MME1122 View Post
    You generally don't want to replace only 1 control arm.
    this....
    Billy

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

2011 A5 2.0T Old Man Project
    2011 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (Modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Elderodo

AZ Member #

That's what I was curious about with Audi quote being so high but he didnt specify and I didnt really ask...I guess I'll hear from the insurance rep today and see where they want me to send my vehicle. I'm curious about eh "after" pics because if I go with 034 product and if they will only cover for OEM replacement yet 034 control arms and labor at a non-dealer facility will probably save the insurance company money so why would it matter?

AZ Member #

So, they want it back up in the air for my insurance to take pics. Audi already quoted me almost $1700 for the repair for the belly pan and the ONE lower control arm. JHM quoted me $1780 for tie rods, 034 density line control arms, and labor...is there a way I can cash out so I can clearly go with my regular shop and get the full enchilada done for $80 more?

Isn't it common sense to replace all 4 arms if one gets damaged, dont you want same wear and tear on each?