Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Resonator Delete - X Pipe Necessary?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey everyone, so I am thinking of doing the secondary (big) resonator delete

I see that everyone does the X-Pipe thing

I have a shop that will just do two straight pipes instead for like $200 fully installed

Will doing a straight pipe hurt performance as opposed to the X-Pipe? What's the point of the X-Pipe?

Active Member Two Rings iconic_eric's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 3.2 Q5, 2004 1.8t B6, 2007 C6 3.2 A6

Well you should also look into your states paws refueling resonators, as the x pipe counts as a resonator. Plus it keeps the drone down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by iconic_eric View Post
    Well you should also look into your states paws refueling resonators, as the x pipe counts as a resonator. Plus it keeps the drone down.

I don't have to go into emissions where I live fortunately

Just looking for the best sound

The stock exhaust is basically silent

I just want a sound more consistent with the horsepower without having a jack ass exhaust

Does anyone have recommendations to accomplish this? With a setup they have actually tried?

Also looking to go the cheap route here

AZ Member #
    My Garage

If youíre in the US all vehicles require a resonator itís for your state inspection. There are several topics about exhaust in here wit set ups consistent with what youíre looking for

AZ Member #

Is it better to do a muffler delete or a resonator delete?

There's not really any exhaust options for this c6

AZ Member #

If youíre in the US all vehicles require a resonator itís for your state inspection. There are several topics about exhaust in here wit set ups consistent with what youíre looking for

Are those inspections the emissions inspections?

Because I don't have to do those in my area for cars newer than 2009

AZ Member #

Huh I guess resonator delete is what gives drone I guess I didn't know that

So perhaps muffler delete is the way to go?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by NickLim View Post
    Are those inspections the emissions inspections?

Because I don't have to do those in my area for cars newer than 2009
    Nick, I think what he is saying that even for state safety inspections that there are required items that have to be present on the car and the resonator is one of them. I have no idea but that's what I think he is saying.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akingzkid View Post
    Nick, I think what he is saying that even for state safety inspections that there are required items that have to be present on the car and the resonator is one of them. I have no idea but that's what I think he is saying.
    Exactly, technically, both muffler and resonators must be present on all vehicles, a resonated X pipe does count as a resonator.if you donít have those items, your car wonít pass inspection, and will not be road legal after the date on your sticker runs out. I work for a shop in Rhode Island and honesty states are getting very strict on exhausts

As for drone, removing anything will add drone. Your best bet would be cutting out one set of resonators and putting in the x pipe, and a set of mufflers. That would give it the sound consistency your looking for.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by akingzkid View Post
    I have never gone to one of those lol maybe I am just an idiot or something I have never heard of that

Okay regardless of the inspections maybe we will have to X that X-Pipe idea

What about mufflers can I just swap out the current mufflers with something else will that have good results?

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly, technically, both muffler and resonators must be present on all vehicles, a resonated X pipe does count as a resonator.if you donít have those items, your car wonít pass inspection, and will not be road legal after the date on your sticker runs out. I work for a shop in Rhode Island and honesty states are getting very strict on exhausts

As for drone, removing anything will add drone. Your best bet would be cutting out one set of resonators and putting in the x pipe, and a set of mufflers. That would give it the sound consistency your looking for.

Well I don't want to touch anything that will make my car unroad worthy because it's not worth the time and headache for me to get it reinstalled every year for the test

- - - Updated - - -

I am going to double check on those safety inspections but does anyone know anecdotally if Washington state has these?

- - - Updated - - -

Damn I am getting the feeling I have to just leave this thing stock if I want to make the smart choice

- - - Updated - - -

I just wish it had a little more growl like a v8 - the sound is so unsatisfying and makes the speed not really that apparent

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I have never gone to one of those lol maybe I am just an idiot or something I have never heard of that

What about mufflers can I just swap out the current mufflers with something else will that have good results?

- - - Updated - - -

Well I don't want to touch anything that will make my car unroad worthy because it's not worth the time and headache for me to get it reinstalled every year for the test

- - - Updated - - -

I am going to double check on those safety inspections but does anyone know anecdotally if Washington state has these?
    Swapping new mufflers in should not be a problem. I was just trying to give you a heads up about US inspection laws. And by shop I mean just a mechanic shop that does state inspections. Just remember that youíre putting parts on an Audi, donít cheap out, and youíll get great results.

AZ Member #

Swapping new mufflers in should not be a problem. I was just trying to give you a heads up about US inspection laws. And by shop I mean just a mechanic shop that does state inspections. Just remember that youíre putting parts on an Audi, donít cheap out, and youíll get great results.

True - better to just leave it stock then half ass it

I am going to look into muffler replacement options - if anyone has any suggestions please comment here it would be much appreciated

Veteran Member Three Rings Quattro 4 Life's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '64 Pontiac Catalina, '01 Mastercraft Prostar 190

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Damn I am getting the feeling I have to just leave this thing stock if I want to make the smart choice

- - - Updated - - -

I just wish it had a little more growl like a v8 - the sound is so unsatisfying and makes the speed not really that apparent
    To my knowledge in WA there are no visual inspections for passenger cars. Iíve had multiple Audiís with exhaust modifications and since youíre not touching the emissions system youíll be fine.
    2007 Ibis White B7 A4 Avant 3.2QM Titanium - 1 of 2
    2011 Quartz Grey C6.5 A6 3.0T Prestige
    Past
    2000 Silver C5 A6 2.7TQM
    1999 Laser Red B5 A4 1.8TQM PC-16

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro 4 Life View Post
    To my knowledge in WA there are no visual inspections for passenger cars. Iíve had multiple Audiís with exhaust modifications and since youíre not touching the emissions system youíll be fine.
    Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Now to find that ideal muffler hmm

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Now to find that ideal muffler hmm
    just do the res delete with straight pipes first. it will be quite and when you wot you will hear the car scream.
    C7 4.0T - EPL stage 1 ECU/TCU.

Donated - C6.5 Apr Stage 2

Senior Member Three Rings dluxxx's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

If your getting rid of all the mufflers and resonators (6 total i believe, two baby front resonators, 2 center mufflers, and 2 rear mufflers), you can youtube B8 S4 straight pipe and that should sound similar. You'll have a super loud car but with alot of rasp. When I had my remus mufflers w/ the center mufflers removed (kept 2 front baby resonators), it was loud but the rasp and drone was unbearable.

But if you just want to be loud just straight pipe it. If its too loud or raspy, just add a muffler or small resonators to quiet it down.
    2010 A6 C6.5 3.0T, Remus Mufflers w/ Quad tips, Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe, RocEuro Intake, EPL Stage 1, Transparent Gloss Copper Verde Axis V99 20x9, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 265/30, Bilstein P14 PSS Coilover, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Ultra Racing Front Lower Brace, Ultra Racing Center Lower Brace, RS6 Black Gloss Grill, Rear diffuser, Black Vinyl window trim, Smoked Rear Tailights, Complete Interior LED Lights, Blacked out front sidemarkers, Morimoto 5000k D3S bulbs, SB3 Alpha Ceramic Coating.