Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Any experience with DBV2 Turbos?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I see that the folks over at DBV2 and Four Seasons Tuning rocked a killer 540/450 whp/wtq with a slightly built motor and a DBV2 turbo, https://www.facebook.com/DBV2SI/.

Curious if anyone on our forums with the S3 are using this turbo set up with a built or non-built motor. This is an interesting option for around $3,000 and have the spool time of a IS38 but with way more whp and up top range.

Not looking for a this turbo is better than that turbo but just any experience from folks on our forums
    Full UM Tune
    The good bolt-ons
    MPI

- Founder of https://www.opendoorfranchises.com/
    ^franchise firm(like real estate but for franchises)

Senior Member Three Rings jiannu's Avatar
    AZ Member #

The owner is local to me here in Toronto and seems like a solid turbo. I had my heart set on this but came across an amazing deal on a boss600 kit otherwise I would have gone with the dbv2 v2. Lots of ppl have the dbv2 and numbers are solid.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jiannu View Post
    The owner is local to me here in Toronto and seems like a solid turbo. I had my heart set on this but came across an amazing deal on a boss600 kit otherwise I would have gone with the dbv2 v2. Lots of ppl have the dbv2 and numbers are solid.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    That seems to be what I am hearing right now about these turbos. For $3,000ish with ceramic coating and ported sides, thats a pretty sweet deal for 450whp. I am curious as to what would be different with their V3 turbo in the future?
    Full UM Tune
    The good bolt-ons
    MPI

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Coolrunning View Post
    That seems to be what I am hearing right now about these turbos. For $3,000ish with ceramic coating and ported sides, thats a pretty sweet deal for 450whp. I am curious as to what would be different with their V3 turbo in the future?
    I'm not sure the exact differences but i know there was talks of the v3 being a ball bearing turbo.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by nickkkarry View Post
    I'm not sure the exact differences but i know there was talks of the v3 being a ball bearing turbo.
    Oooo that would be real nice.

I would definitely prefer a ball bearing over a journal bearing all day. Typically a quicker spool time which is always a must in cars like ours.
    Full UM Tune
    The good bolt-ons
    MPI

AZ Member #

So it seems for the most part no one on our forum has experience with DBV2.

Well if I decide to go that route, ill make sure to keep everyone updated!
    Full UM Tune
    The good bolt-ons
    MPI

Veteran Member Four Rings TCHUN003's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, Honda Ruckus

So it seems for the most part no one on our forum has experience with DBV2.

Well if I decide to go that route, ill make sure to keep everyone updated!
    I'm interested as well. It's this or go with Frank Mabo and the M560is turbo that is good up to 550 whp with proper fueling. I was told to stay under 500 whp and 420 tq if you're not upgrading the engine internals or DSG. That kit is about $4k. Tuning can be done by Frank with Eurodyne Maestro.
    -Thomas
    Current: /S3
    Previous: B6 A4/B8A4 Avant

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by TCHUN003 View Post
    I'm interested as well. It's this or go with Frank Mabo and the M560is turbo that is good up to 550 whp with proper fueling. I was told to stay under 500 whp and 420 tq if you're not upgrading the engine internals or DSG. That kit is about $4k. Tuning can be done by Frank with Eurodyne Maestro.
    That sounds about right to me. I am not looking to crack open the engine by any means so something like this is also interesting to me. I already have the port injection and I literally just have to add a larger turbo. What I also enjoy is being able to use my full intake system on the DBV2. No need to buy something that only fits one brand.
    Full UM Tune
    The good bolt-ons
    MPI

AZ Member #
    My Garage

That sounds about right to me. I am not looking to crack open the engine by any means so something like this is also interesting to me. I already have the port injection and I literally just have to add a larger turbo. What I also enjoy is being able to use my full intake system on the DBV2. No need to buy something that only fits one brand.
    That's true. I hope you go with the DBV2 and have good experience with it. I'll most likely go this route as well in the future.
    -Thomas

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Very good results using DBV2 turbo. Stock engine , stock injection, unitronic tune + JB4 stack + bolt ons. 490whp S3 Hatchback. I posted in 1/4 mile thread 10.9 pass.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JuanPablo View Post
    JuanPablo for the win!

490whp is pretty damn hefty for sure. What’s your elevation down by you?
    Full UM Tune
    The good bolt-ons
    MPI

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Elevation 322 feet. Weight reduction seats removed, catback removed, pump gas + meth. 18 inch 18.0lbs wheels , Michellin Pilot P4S .

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JuanPablo View Post
    Elevation 322 feet. Weight reduction seats removed, catback removed, pump gas + meth. 18 inch 18.0lbs wheels , Michellin Pilot P4S .
    Man after my own heart lol.

Makes sense with the higher whp. Were at 5200+ elevation so I would be looking at around 450whp or so is what I am shooting for, especially with MPI and full E85.

I also have completely removed back seats/spare tire section but with full exhaust and OEM rims.
    Full UM Tune
    The good bolt-ons
    MPI

AZ Member #

Another post about a Golf R DBV2 V2 making 488 whp and 420 wtq. No mention of built motor either
    Full UM Tune
    The good bolt-ons
    MPI

AZ Member #
    My Garage

It's great that you already have fueling and literally only need the turbo and tuning. Would you be planning on going with v1 or v2? I discussed this with Daniel Bogues and apparently the TBB or triple ball bearing version of v1 and v2 will be capable of the same power output, but also spools fast down low.

I know v2 is larger with higher potential and has a later powerband, but v1 seems to make good smooth power and carry it up top. Which version are you looking into getting?

Looks like you can make 440whp on pump gas without any fueling upgrades or 540whp with MPI and LPFP.

That S3 with built motor and e85 using v2 to made 540whp/450tq on a MUSTANG dyno! So that's like 590 on a dynojet.

Looks like there are already several 10 second s3s using these hybrid turbos
    Last edited by TCHUN003; 12-09-2018 at 09:45 AM.
    -Thomas

AZ Member #

It's great that you already have fueling and literally only need the turbo and tuning. Would you be planning on going with v1 or v2? I discussed this with Daniel Bogues and apparently the TBB or triple ball bearing version of v1 and v2 will be capable of the same power output, but also spools fast down low.

I know v2 is larger with higher potential and has a later powerband, but v1 seems to make good smooth power and carry it up top. Which version are you looking into getting?

Looks like you can make 440whp on pump gas without any fueling upgrades or 540whp with MPI and LPFP.

That S3 with built motor and e85 using v2 to made 540whp/450tq on a MUSTANG dyno! So that's like 590 on a dynojet.

Looks like there are already several 10 second s3s using these hybrid turbos
    Im hoping that they have a ball bearing unit come out here soon. I like the idea of the same numbers but a quicker spool time and more efficient turbo overall. If that does not happen within a set amount of time, I will stick with the V2 option as I like some of the revisions over the V1.

I would be extremely happy to tap the 450 whp mark up here in Denver. I will upgrade the fuel lines themselves and will tinker with the idea of the Walbro 525 or IROZ pump in the future to maximize the fueling aspect of things. In another 1,100 miles, I will be doing some maintenance to the car in prep; DSG fluid, Haldex fluid and screen, oil change, and a couple other items.

Super pumped to go this route here soon!
    Full UM Tune
    The good bolt-ons
    MPI

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Im hoping that they have a ball bearing unit come out here soon. I like the idea of the same numbers but a quicker spool time and more efficient turbo overall. If that does not happen within a set amount of time, I will stick with the V2 option as I like some of the revisions over the V1.

I would be extremely happy to tap the 450 whp mark up here in Denver. I will upgrade the fuel lines themselves and will tinker with the idea of the Walbro 525 or IROZ pump in the future to maximize the fueling aspect of things. In another 1,100 miles, I will be doing some maintenance to the car in prep; DSG fluid, Haldex fluid and screen, oil change, and a couple other items.

Super pumped to go this route here soon!
    Haha, I'm actually hitting 35k in 1,000 miles so I just finished ordering all of the DSG and haldex fluids, engine oil, filters, and some castrol srf brake fluid. Planning on doing all the maintenance in January when I have a break from work. Please keep this thread updated!

BTW with fueling and the v2 TBB, you're probably going to need to down tune your car since it will easily make over 500 whp with that setup. Also the torque will be available down low and continue throughout the powerband.
    -Thomas

AZ Member #

Haha, I'm actually hitting 35k in 1,000 miles so I just finished ordering all of the DSG and haldex fluids, engine oil, filters, and some castrol srf brake fluid. Planning on doing all the maintenance in January when I have a break from work. Please keep this thread updated!

BTW with fueling and the v2 TBB, you're probably going to need to down tune your car since it will easily make over 500 whp with that setup. Also the torque will be available down low and continue throughout the powerband.
    Oh nice man! Like I said, I am truly only doing all fluids at 20K because the car will be 4 years old with all old fluids in it. Time for a refresh before going with a larger turbo.

Jeff/Fred over at UM have a great tune for my exact setup already so that will be nice. I love the idea of DBV2 because the stock spool/torque is intoxicating but would love some upper end pull for sure. E85 with the IS38 is just fucking fun lol!
    Full UM Tune
    The good bolt-ons
    MPI