Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Headlight projector (3" bi xenon on 05 USP)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello all,

This is my first post. Well now second ha. I posted this question on the b6 A4 forum but one of the members suggested I pose this here as well. I'm guessing since I'm a 05 USP I have more in common with the S4 in some aspects.

I've been wrenching on my brothers VW and Audi's for awhile and after he got an A4 B6 I liked it so much I snagged one about 6 months ago. It's a 2005 b6 A4 Quattro 6 speed manual USP. Took some work to get it where I wanted it but I'm driving it now :)

To the point, my low beams are dangerously dim and I want to do something about it. I have been reading forums, watching videos, and doing research for days. This will be my first attempt to tear into a headlight. This issue im seeing is, every thread or write up that makes sense is on either a halogen car retro fitting to xenons or, more commonly, the OP is upgrading a single 2.5" xenon. My 2005 USP has 3" bixenons and I'm not sure of the same routes as the 2.5" apply. I have been looking at TRS and a lot of folks go with the morimoto mini H1 retro but those are 2.5" projectors so I'm guessing these won't fit mine contrary to TRS correct? I also see they have a valeo DS2 retro kit that does seem to be 3" projectors but I can't find anyone that's ever done it or confirms the kit works.

I checked a euro place called retrolab that looks to have a DS1 kit in 3" but again I haven't been able to find them on any forums in use.

Something else I have noticed is every site lists our car as using an H7 for the secondary high beam, mine is an H10. Not sure what that's all about.

Thank you for any help or direction all. I'm excited to keep working on this car.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

so there's quite a few factors that affect light output, and to address the issue, need to know which ones are a factor in your case:
    - outer lens cover (hazy, pitted?)
    - projector lens (dusty?)
    - projector bowl (burned / no longer reflective?)
    - HID bulb
    - HID ballast

AFAIK, there aren't any drop-in replacement projectors for the 3" bixenons on a B6. So if your bowls/lenses are the issue, the easiest thing will be to obtain a new OEM set and swap those in. Or if just original bulbs/ballasts, then replace with OEM compatible ones. There are non-OEM replacements available, though I don't know the part # offhand.

I'm not sure how one would mount an H10 bulb in the high beam socket, they don't appear to be physically interchangeable. But H7 is the correct bulb.

Another option is to pick up a set of the 2.5" single xenon housings, and then do a TRS mini-H1 retrofit into that.
    WTB: B6 Ultrasport Avant 6-sp

2007 RS4 Sprint/Ebony, Ti, 114k
    UM tuned/JHM/Bilstein/Milltek/oCarbon

RIP 2002 A4 2.0TQM Denim/Ebony, 243k
    FWD->AWD, Bische-tuned GT2871R

AZ Member #

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ERMEd4QfCJG7PAPT7

Even the sticker on the housing says H10
    Last edited by solar07; 12-04-2018 at 12:35 PM.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by solar07 View Post
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ERMEd4QfCJG7PAPT7

Even the sticker on the housing says H10
    well, it's a misprint. A Google image search for that part number clearly shows an H7 bulb socket for the high beam, and it's well documented that every single OEM B6 headlight housing uses an H7 bulb for the high beam.

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Curious... is the bulb Inside the housing actually a h10 bulb? Or are you just going off the sticker?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

Veteran Member Four Rings Mr. Corey's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audis

Quote Originally Posted by VinnysS4 View Post
    Curious... is the bulb Inside the housing actually a h10 bulb? Or are you just going off the sticker?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    05 bi xenon headight housings come with H10 blubs for the B6. H7 is listed on ECS for example, but its wrong. I was running a H10 LED for High beams and it was super bright. I had to put in a resistor tho for the bulb out code. Now that I'm back to a single xenon e code housing, that uses H7 bulbs for high beams. But my jeep fogs took the H10 bulbs so it worked out! I got new HID's this year and they are noticeably brighter. Maybe try that before you swap the projectors.
    B6 Nogaro with lots of mods
    BUILD THREAD

Photography Website www.coreymaywalt.com

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Corey View Post
    05 bi xenon headight housings come with H10 blubs for the B6. H7 is listed on ECS for example, but its wrong.
    this is the first I've ever seen or heard of this, have any pics?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Corey View Post
    05 bi xenon headight housings come with H10 blubs for the B6. H7 is listed on ECS for example, but its wrong. I was running a H10 LED for High beams and it was super bright. I had to put in a resistor tho for the bulb out code. Now that I'm back to a single xenon e code housing, that uses H7 bulbs for high beams. But my jeep fogs took the H10 bulbs so it worked out! I got new HID's this year and they are noticeably brighter. Maybe try that before you swap the projectors.
    Thanks for the info. Can you explain what you had to do to run LED H10? Is that the way to go for high beam, LED? Would like to learn more on the resistor part you had to do and why. Thanks again.

Is there another code for H10 bulbs? If I get new projectors I have to specify the high beam bulb time for the cut over harness and I don't see H10 as an option .

Veteran Member Three Rings luvsspeed's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 S4

I have fitted these https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi...rojectors.html into my stock bi-xenon ecode housings. There is a write up in the B6 A4 forum from someone that did it first.