Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Audi Sound System upgrade

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi folks,

I have found CPO Audi S5 2018 that I really like, but it doesn't have B&O. I used to have B&O in my A5 B8 and I love to listen loud music - hence no B&O is a dealbreaker for me. I have compared Audi Sound System vs B&O at dealers place and IMO B&O is waaay better, so I was thinking about possible options to upgrade. Dealer said that they don't do those kind of upgrades.

1. What are my options here? Should I just forget about the offer and look for S5 with B&O?
    2. If I can upgrade:
    a) what can you recommend?
    b) what's expected cost of those modifications?
    c) will it void warranty?

Thanks!

Senior Member Three Rings Batman0424's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 VW Tiguan SEL Prem

There are mixed opinions on here regarding the B&O system. Most feel that it isnít great, and lacks some depth and the bass falls short at higher volumes. For us B&O guys, the solution seems to be a modest aftermarket sub - 1 (maybe 2) 8Ē or 10Ē subs. I am highlighting this so you are aware that aftermarket components would also be needed with the B&O setup.

For your situation, you would have to replace the stock speakers with better components. Pricing will vary based on what you want to install and how many stock speaker you are replacing. Plus, youíll likely need an aftermarket amp to power the new speakers, especially if you are increasing wattage.

The instal is extensive as panels need to be removed. Again, this is an area of debate as some folks prefer not to pull panels as there is a chance of developing rattles. Personally, Iím not concerned about this as I would have the installer through in sound proofing material during the process anyway.

What are the other options in the S5?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2018 Audi RS5
    2017 GTI - retired
    2015 Audi S4 - retired
    2013 RRS - retired
    2012 E92 M3 - retired

AZ Member #

Thanks! Yeah, I read a lot of threads here about folks not being happy with B&O sub and I'm aware of the issues, however I see a substantial difference in sound quality in comparison to the stock audio.

TBH I'm all green in that matter and I don't know how many speakers I need to replace. I was rather curious if the cost of upgrading my Audio will be $500 or $5000?

I like the car and I would be willing to invest extra money to upgrade my sound system as it has almost everything I need: Audi Virtual Cockpit, Audi MMI Navigation Plus w/MMI Touch, S Sport Package, Red Brake Calipers, Navigation, Sport Rear Differential, Sport Adaptive Damping Suspension, Nappa Leather. The only thing that comes to my mind that is missing (except a good Audi) is adaptive cruise control.

Senior Member Three Rings Batman0424's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 VW Tiguan SEL Prem

I believe there are 10 speakers with the non-B&O system. My guess is that it would cost a couple grand to change out enough speakers to make it worth the investment.

2018 Audi RS5
    2017 GTI - retired
    2015 Audi S4 - retired
    2013 RRS - retired
    2012 E92 M3 - retired

AZ Member #

Yeah the B and O system is O.K in my opinion, kinda a pain in butt if you like to drive with windows down... huge drop off there in my opinion. With windows up though I like the system.

Veteran Member Four Rings antoff83's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 Audi S7

my colleague at work has 2018 A5 SB with B&O and is very crappy..his front door speakers blew out at 2000mi and now his drivers door one again went bad..The system is weak in general..bass is weak.. in my S7 and my X5M I have B&O but ADVANCED and is brilliant
    18' BMW X5M | Long Beach Blue | Silverstone full Merino
    17' AUDI S7 | Sepang blue | Arras red
    16' MB GLE450 coupe | Diamond white | Black nappa - sold
    14' AUDI RS5 Coupe| Sepang blue | Black nappa - gone but not forgotten
    04' BMW M3 Convert |Carbon black - sold

AZ Member #

Thanks for all the answers. I have tested both stock and B&O, and in my opinion B&O was muuuuch better. I'm not saying it's ideal, but I had one in my A5 from 2013 and I was happy with it.

Established Member Two Rings douglasjboehme's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1995 Land Rover D90, 1990 Mazda Miata, 2016 Sepang Blue 6MT S4

This thread is a great example of sound systems and differences in perceiving those sounds. It's so subjective. For me, I love the sound of the B&O system in the 2018 RS5. Others don't.

I think the real solution is to try different kinds of music with B&O and without and see what you like as an individual.
    2018 RS5 | Misano Red | All Options

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 RS5

Quote Originally Posted by antoff83 View Post
    my colleague at work has 2018 A5 SB with B&O and is very crappy..his front door speakers blew out at 2000mi and now his drivers door one again went bad..The system is weak in general..bass is weak.. in my S7 and my X5M I have B&O but ADVANCED and is brilliant
    Keep in mind that SB models don't have an enclosed trunk so sub-woofer placement is problematic and the bass will be weak. The B&O in my 2018 RS5 sounds great even better than my 2013 S4 which I thought sounded awesome...

Sent from my E5803 using Audizine mobile app

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I have a 2018 A5 SB and IMHO the B&O is great......but the sub sucks. I just added two 10" kickers in a box and threw them in the trunk. Still have plenty of trunk space. Working on a design plan to but them in a fabricated box where the spare tire is.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 Audi S7

Quote Originally Posted by ks_os View Post
    Keep in mind that SB models don't have an enclosed trunk so sub-woofer placement is problematic and the bass will be weak. The B&O in my 2018 RS5 sounds great even better than my 2013 S4 which I thought sounded awesome...

Sent from my E5803 using Audizine mobile app
    well I know but I have an S7 and it has similar body style with no enclosed trunk but since its an advanced 3D 1200 watts B&O system it does sounds brilliant. In the RS5 SB is 3D too but premium and thats the difference I think

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 Audi S7

Quote Originally Posted by cj91586 View Post
    I have a 2018 A5 SB and IMHO the B&O is great......but the sub sucks. I just added two 10" kickers in a box and threw them in the trunk. Still have plenty of trunk space. Working on a design plan to but them in a fabricated box where the spare tire is.
    how your front door speakers are doing? My colleague had to change them since they blew out and now he has same issue with the one in the driver side door again

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by antoff83 View Post
    how your front door speakers are doing? My colleague had to change them since they blew out and now he has same issue with the one in the driver side door again
    Havenít had any issues with the door speakers. Nothing has blown. And I play my music loud. Really loud. I mean the door speakers could always be better. But I want to spend money on others stuff that is god awful. I can live with the sound they produce.