Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Mech adjusters: how worn is "too worn"? Pics....

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey all,

I pulled a pair of adjusters apart last night, wondering if they're re-usable.... Engine had 160K +, cracked guides. I would *like* to avoid the $750 for the JHM repair kit, but understand that or a clean used set are more than likely. I'm hoping these are in the "acceptable" range. Let me know what y'all think:

adjuster 2.jpgadjuster 1.jpg

Like I said, i'm curious what people think is acceptable (if any) wear.

Thanks!

Veteran Member Four Rings q_dubz's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Single Turbo V8 S4

take an angled shot so we can see how deep the chamfer wear is.

The adjusters are only locked in those pin holes during start up. Considering the mileage and what i've seen photos of...those aren't too bad. Honestly could easily be welded over and machined for cheap and weld is always harder than the base metal so it wouldn't wear again
    Last edited by q_dubz; 12-03-2018 at 02:09 PM.

AZ Member #

Iíll do that! (Angled pic). Iím assuming you meant ďarenít too badĒ? : )
    Weld/machining is a good idea...

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Two Rings Dru@JHM's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Birdflu View Post
    Hey all,

I pulled a pair of adjusters apart last night, wondering if they're re-usable.... Engine had 160K +, cracked guides. I would *like* to avoid the $750 for the JHM repair kit, but understand that or a clean used set are more than likely. I'm hoping these are in the "acceptable" range. Let me know what y'all think:

adjuster 2.jpgadjuster 1.jpg

Like I said, i'm curious what people think is acceptable (if any) wear.

Thanks!
    Good Morning Birdlu,

The pictures that you posted above actually look on the lesser side of worn but at this point i would not recommend reinstalling these in the car. With the miles that you have, like Q_dubz mentioned they aren't too bad BUT I would replace them with the JHM Adjuster Repair Kit or even one of the applicable JHM Timing Chain Kits. I however would not suggest welding the holes and grinding/drilling...

If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me!
    Dru
    Sales Lead & Wholesale Dealer Accounts
    (209) 968-0077 phone
    (209) 249-5255 fax

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Deffinately replace those.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Dru@JHM View Post
    Good Morning Birdlu,

The pictures that you posted above actually look on the lesser side of worn but at this point i would not recommend reinstalling these in the car. With the miles that you have, like Q_dubz mentioned they aren't too bad BUT I would replace them with the JHM Adjuster Repair Kit or even one of the applicable JHM Timing Chain Kits. I however would not suggest welding the holes and grinding/drilling...

LOL! I'm sooooo busted! Thanks for the input Drew! I'll post the angled shots, but most likely replace. You can live with 1 kidney, right?
    BTW, The JHM Mech Adjuster overview/insturctional video is fantastic! Extremely helpful and easy to follow.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Single Turbo V8 S4

Quote Originally Posted by Dru@JHM View Post
    Good Morning Birdlu,

Whaaaaat Dru used his sales account!

Minor detail: I said have it welded machined just like how cylinder heads and blocks are repaired. Grind and drill would imply home/garage work lol!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by q_dubz View Post
    Whaaaaat Dru used his sales account!

Minor detail: I said have it welded machined just like how cylinder heads and blocks are repaired. Grind and drill would imply home/garage work lol!
    I knew what you meant ; ) "No worries dog, my cousin has a *sweet* mig welder from harbor! We'll get that baby fill'd 'n drilld!"

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Single Turbo V8 S4

Quote Originally Posted by Birdflu View Post
    I knew what you meant ; ) "No worries dog, my cousin has a *sweet* mig welder from harbor! We'll get that baby fill'd 'n drilld!"
    Lol I hope that's sarcasm.... Please use a Tig.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by q_dubz View Post
    Lol I hope that's sarcasm.... Please use a Tig.
    I'm all about the sarcasm, and love to come up with the worst-case scenario : ) I'm of the opinion that if you actually imagine "what could possibly go wrong", you will more often avoid it.