Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

2000 A6 no interior backlighting

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Iíve got this 2000 A6 2.7t and when you turn the headlights on the cluster, shifter, and steering wheel controls light up. But the climate head, radio, buttons, window switches, sunroof switch ect do not light up. Iíve tried spare light switches, dimmers, another cluster, another radio, another climate head and another body module. no fix. Iíve looked at wire diagrams and cannot determine where the power for the backlighting comes from. Thereís 58s and 58d on the illumination circuit but itís not clear what source powers it. Anybody else have this issue? Thanks

Veteran Member Four Rings rollerton's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I think 58d is the switched lighting dimmer circuit; 58S is regular switched lighting signal to canbus. *I think*. What you left out is when you apply 12V via handy tester to the grey/blue Illlum. wire it blows the tester circuit. But does not blow the Illum circuit fuse. I kind of picture something shorted so at/before that point there's an open-circuit, but past that part it shorts to ground.
    Already toldja' I think you have to start unplugging stuff and retry applying 12V until you unplug something and it doesn't blow the circuit. For some reason I think the drivers door master switch can cause this kind of trouble. Also...I kind of considered that VCDS can see lighting circuits and tell you the voltage at certain points? Memory is kind of vague on that; But I think locks modules MBV has a couple ILLUM fields or something.
    foley803 : What does an electrical surge sound like? Barking dogs? Watermelons?

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I thought I would at least follow up with solution. I kept shortly applying power to that circuit with my power probe tool and noticed the rear console lights did not turn on. I removed console and found the grey/blue illumination wires crushed under the armrest hold down. Repaired and illumination is restored.

Veteran Member Four Rings rollerton's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Prospeeder View Post
    I thought I would at least follow up with solution. I kept shortly applying power to that circuit with my power probe tool and noticed the rear console lights did not turn on. I removed console and found the grey/blue illumination wires crushed under the armrest hold down. Repaired and illumination is restored.
    !! yes!
    Now...does the seat memory work? That was not working either if I remember...-- oh no, that was the allroad i think..
    foley803 : What does an electrical surge sound like? Barking dogs? Watermelons?