Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

A6 c5 2004, transmisson trouble? How to find out problems.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi

My transmission has been acting up a bit, and i thought at first i`ve had turbo issues. This is no longer the case!
    Is there a way to isolate problem and finding out what to do with it. My mechanical skills does not involve taking the tranny apart.... So how can i perform test while driving to locate what kind of problem i`m up against?
    The tranny shift`s real nice and seemless, but when in locked gear, it can "shake" a bit, in every gear, but not all the time. it also runs a lot on the converter if i don`t lock it in gear. I have no codes regarding this. The car has now ran 125K km. ( 77K miles )

Info about flushing: it was done with one of those machines that pushus oil through the system, BUT, i`ve came across this thread just now ( look below ) and the car was warm when shifting oil and we did not change any filter. He did not follow these steps, could it be this simple?

The car must be at ambient (cool) temperature before filling the transmission! This requires the car to sit overnight to completely cool off.

Install the new filter the next morning (don't forget the filter to transmission o-ring/gasket), bolt the pan up. Fill the pan with as much fluid as you can with the car off (until it starts flowing out of the standpipe, what I call the fill hole).

Start the car. Right away it will start taking more, give it about 20-30 seconds to start pumping fluid through the tranny.

Keep filling until it overflows. Should be 2-3 more quarts (initial fill about 4 quarts).

Have somebody run through all the gears for 30 seconds each (with the brake on), when doing reverse, the fluid will flow out, let it, then go through N,D,4,3,2 30 seconds each. This is about 10-15 minutes into the fill after the car started.

Let the car run another 2 minutes, then run it through all gears for 30 seconds again, do Reverse for a shorter time because it will squirt out.

Keep filling so it has a slight overflow at all times.

If you have the Ross-Tech software, monitor ATF fluid temperature on group number 4, under measuring blocks, transmission module. The temperature of the ATF fluid during this procedure should be 30-45 C. If the engine is operated for about 15 minutes from ambient temperature, it will reach somewhere around 45 C at the end of the 15 minutes. This is why the car must be cooled overnight. If you do not have the software, just ensure it was cooled overnight. It is not absolutely critical to measure ATF fluid temperature. However, you CANNOT do this if the transmission is not at ambient at the beginning of the fill.

You'll need a total of 8 quarts of ATF on hand, I would have 9 there in case you spill one...you just might.

Thomas
    Last edited by Herr G; 12-03-2018 at 01:47 AM.
    Mine: A6 2.7 TTQ, 2004 Stage 1, 300hk.

Wife: E-Golf 2015, 85kW

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1960 Corvette

You can find workshop/overhaul manual to the transmission online. Try googling on 01v or 5hp19 / 5hp19fla

https://docplayer.net/21514716-The-0...smissions.html This can be helpfull to locating the issue.

By doing an oilchange it is difficult to replace all the oil in the torqueconverter, therefor it would be recomended to change it again after driving a bit.

It's easy to also just put your hand on the pan to feel the temp.
    -----------------------------------------------
    2000 Audi A6 Avant 2.7T Quattro
    1960 Chevrolet Corvette

Veteran Member Three Rings m_haiser's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Highland Green Allroad

I recently did a trans fluid change and was scared of having to stop and wait for cool down so I hand pumped 7qts into the trans as fast as I could and the trans only reached like 21 degrees, then drove around the block and still handnt even reached 30 degrees.

AZ Member #

I've used a similar machine like this https://youtu.be/f237578_sos

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

Veteran Member Three Rings JayDog747's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 S4, 2008 Subaru Outback,2015 Silverado,08 A43.2

Don't ever hook the car up to one of those machines, they have always turned out to be a disaster.

I recommend you drop the pan, replace the filter, clean the magnets and fallow the procedure you described above. Most importantly, you need to call a dealer give 'em your vin and find out if the transmission takes ZF 6+ or ZF 8 transmission fluid. Drive the car for 500-1000km and change again. No need to replace filter, just drain and refill.

AZ Member #

Do you find it most likely that the flush is causing my problems? As in, would you start by doing this first and foremost?
    In Norway, almost every shop i`ve talked to recommends a flush, because this is the most secure way to exchange all of the old oil. Why is this not prefered?

Thomas

Veteran Member Three Rings m_haiser's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Highland Green Allroad

its been found that these flushes can actually knock loose things that had settled in the trans and then lodge elsewhere causing problems
    this is especially true of the machines that flush the fluid backwards compare to the normal direction of flow.

Veteran Member Three Rings JayDog747's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 S4, 2008 Subaru Outback,2015 Silverado,08 A43.2

Sorry 'bout the delay. But yea, every shop will tell you that because they have to pay for that machine they bought. There have been ziners on here in the past who did the flush and ended up with seals leaking, problems with the valve body. And what haiser said above. If you didn't replace the filter and the machine back flushed the fluid, there are particles floating around in the system.

What else is important is the brand and type of fluid they replaced it with and how much. The ZF transmission is very finicky. It prefers it's own brand and type-ZF6+ or ZF8. Some have used Redline with no problems but I prefer to use ZF brand.

Also, you'll have to do some research, but there could be a TSB concerning the transmission where it needs to be updated because of problems.

Registered User Four Rings Scotty@Advanced's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by m_haiser View Post
    its been found that these flushes can actually knock loose things that had settled in the trans and then lodge elsewhere causing problems
    this is especially true of the machines that flush the fluid backwards compare to the normal direction of flow.
    There is truth to this, however if your transmission was working due to junk sealing things up, chances are good the trans was on it's way out.