Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: New S4 (SOCAL)

Registered Member One Ring roro's Avatar
    AZ Member #

New S4 (SOCAL)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello,

Just wanted to introduce myself as a proud new owner of a black S4 in Los Angeles.
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE this car. It puts a smile on my face everytime I get behind the wheel. I find excuses to drive it all the time... Also, it's very hard to keep below 4K RPM for the next 1000 miles... I cheated a few times already... but I'm trying. :-)
    Any other LA (west LA area) B9 S4 owners?
    I am planning on getting that DTE tunebox + transmission tune + pedal box as soon as I hit the 1K mile mark. I'm still learning about all that but I'm getting around to it. If you have any recommendation, don't hesitate.
    Thanks,

Roman

Senior Member Three Rings S4_Pedro's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing your thread, I heard lots of good things about all DTE stuff I’m sure you’ll love it even more !

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Mops@Nemesis's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '18 S4, '16 SQ5

Welcome Roman!

Glad to hear you're so pleased. I love mine too.
    034Motorsport | Advan | AG | Akrapovič | AWE | BBS | BC Forged | Brembo | Capristo | Deval | Forgeline | H&R | KW | Milltek | OZ | Sparco | Stoptech | TSW | Volk | Vorsteiner | Work | and many more

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    18 S4, 18 Q5

Congrats Roman! I feel the same way about mine too.

Active Member Two Rings ywang98's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Congrats! I got mine 3 weeks ago. I am in southern Orange County. I guess I didn't know about the 4K RPM thing under 1K miles... LOL I haven't pushed it that much since it's already pretty fast without pushing. But I sill miss my R32. It was fully modified, and I can push the hell out of it when needed. This S4 is a bit too nice to be pushed like that (especially without suspension mods).

AZ Member #

Thanks all!
    Coming from a rear wheel drive car, what shocked me the most is the insane amount of grip. On wet, dry, whatever the surface. It just grips for days. Flies off the line without drama, without tire noise... Turning feels like it's on train tracks... so much grip.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by roro View Post
    Thanks all!
    Coming from a rear wheel drive car, what shocked me the most is the insane amount of grip. On wet, dry, whatever the surface. It just grips for days. Flies off the line without drama, without tire noise... Turning feels like it's on train tracks... so much grip.
    I too have driven RWD cars my whole life (Cobra, GTO, Z06) and was shocked at the grip this thing has especially for launching. I will say especially in damp conditions, you can get the rear to come around and hang it out for a little too

AZ Member #

Coming from an R32 (AWD, and also previously a Passat 4 Motion), there was no way I would go back to FWD or RWD cars. Yes, I love the rainy days where I just floor the pedal and let the car do its thing... LOL

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by -LoneStar- View Post
    I too have driven RWD cars my whole life (Cobra, GTO, Z06) and was shocked at the grip this thing has especially for launching. I will say especially in damp conditions, you can get the rear to come around and hang it out for a little too
    How do you do that? Seems like I can't? Mind you I've been polite with the pedal until I reach 1K miles, then I will push the sh*t out of it. Since this awd system is a little bit rear biased, I guess it is doable but how? Did you have to FULLY disable the traction control and turn / slam on it? on dry surface? did it squeele? :)

AZ Member #

How do you do that? Seems like I can't? Mind you I've been polite with the pedal until I reach 1K miles, then I will push the sh*t out of it. Since this awd system is a little bit rear biased, I guess it is doable but how? Did you have to FULLY disable the traction control and turn / slam on it? on dry surface? did it squeele? :)
    Do you have the S Sport package with the sport diff? I'm not saying a car with the stand non E diff couldn't do it but I feel this is a contributing factor. Correct fully disable stability control by holding the button for a few seconds.

I have not tried in on completely dry pavement. On damp/wet pavement just roll from a stop into a right (or tight left) turn and roll into the throttle hard. It will rotate on you

Also since your car is new I wouldn't beat on it just yet as it seems you have showed self control. I would however introduce some load after you have reached proper oil temp (180+). Don't be afraid to give it half or 3/4 throttle up to 4k. I'm a firm believer in a harder break in (not abusive) then a pu$$y footing one but that's just me

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ywang98 View Post
    Coming from an R32 (AWD, and also previously a Passat 4 Motion), there was no way I would go back to FWD or RWD cars. Yes, I love the rainy days where I just floor the pedal and let the car do its thing... LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by -LoneStar- View Post
    Do you have the S Sport package with the sport diff? I'm not saying a car with the stand non E diff couldn't do it but I feel this is a contributing factor. Correct fully disable stability control by holding the button for a few seconds.

I have not tried in on completely dry pavement. On damp/wet pavement just roll from a stop into a right (or tight left) turn and roll into the throttle hard. It will rotate on you

Also since your car is new I wouldn't beat on it just yet as it seems you have showed self control. I would however introduce some load after you have reached proper oil temp (180+). Don't be afraid to give it half or 3/4 throttle up to 4k. I'm a firm believer in a harder break in (not abusive) then a pu$$y footing one but that's just me
    I do not have the differential...

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Another new SoCal S4 owner here - well, sometime in the next few hours anyway. The driver is still sleeping...

How do I attach pics?

DaveG

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Another new SoCal S4 owner here - well, sometime in the next few hours anyway. The driver is still sleeping...

How do I attach pics?

DaveG
    Congrats! Where in SOCal are ya?
    You have to upload your pics then attach it from a link, i think.
    R

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Mops@Nemesis's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '18 S4, '16 SQ5

How do I attach pics?

DaveG
    Grab a Flickr account. Once your pics are loaded in Flickr, it's cake to post. I can post what you have now if you need. Just email them to me. 👍🏼
    034Motorsport | Advan | AG | Akrapovič | AWE | BBS | BC Forged | Brembo | Capristo | Deval | Forgeline | H&R | KW | Milltek | OZ | Sparco | Stoptech | TSW | Volk | Vorsteiner | Work | and many more

AZ Member #

Hey y’all,

Does your new S4 vibrate significantly at low rpm idle?
    Mine does... It’s kind of weird. It doesn’t so much at 900 rpm but in D when it drops to 700 or lower it does that.

Also, there is a weird exhaust rattle from the middle part of the car (around the front of the passenger area, coming from the exhaust), as if a metal part was loose and clicking on another metal part...
    When I picked up the car from the dealer last week I told him and he said to take it to service to get it looked at but I’ve been busy.

AZ Member #

Congrats! Where in SOCal are ya?
    You have to upload your pics then attach it from a link, i think.
    R
    I’m in Irvine.
    Took delivery yesterday of a silver 2018 S4 with 2800 miles and a CPO warranty. Bought from an Audi dealer in PA. Car now sits in my garage due to stoopid CA law that doesn’t allow me to register and title at AAA. Requires me to lose a day of my life at the DMV. No appointments until January.

DaveG

AZ Member #

I’m in Irvine.
    Took delivery yesterday of a silver 2018 S4 with 2800 miles and a CPO warranty. Bought from an Audi dealer in PA. Car now sits in my garage due to stoopid CA law that doesn’t allow me to register and title at AAA. Requires me to lose a day of my life at the DMV. No appointments until January.

DaveG
    Aw man. I’m sorry to hear that.

AZ Member #

I’m in Irvine.

DaveG
    Congrats! I am in San Clemente, Daytona Gray with Black Optic package.

AZ Member #

Hey y’all,

Does your new S4 vibrate significantly at low rpm idle?
    Mine does... It’s kind of weird. It doesn’t so much at 900 rpm but in D when it drops to 700 or lower it does that.

Also, there is a weird exhaust rattle from the middle part of the car (around the front of the passenger area, coming from the exhaust), as if a metal part was loose and clicking on another metal part...
    When I picked up the car from the dealer last week I told him and he said to take it to service to get it looked at but I’ve been busy.

I noticed that at times my engine vibrates more than usual, but I've gotten used to it. I drive in Dynamic mode only. Also, I disabled my start-stop, as it drove me nuts and gave me even more vibration during the start up...

I haven't noticed any other exhaust sound issues, but I miss my R32's exhaust. This car's exhaust note sucks when compared with my R32 before.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I’m in Irvine.

DaveG
    Just curious, doesn’t PA do temp registration?

AZ Member #

Probably. And I should have asked them to do it, but I didn’t .

Three hours out of my life at San Clemente DMV yesterday and I am golden today.

DaveG

Veteran Member Four Rings CreoSTi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 Acura RDX

Any other LA (west LA area) B9 S4 owners?
    I live/work in the Mar Vista area.

If you're on Facebook, join us in the "Audi LA Westside" group;

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AudiLAWestside
    -Mike- : 2001 S4 → 2011 S4 → 2014 S6 → 2018 S4
    Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp.

AZ Member #

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by CreoSTi View Post

Ah... that's when I wish I were on facebook.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by CreoSTi View Post

By the way, can you recommend a shop to install a new grill on my s4?
    Be great if you also had a recommendation for a shop that doeso window tinting.
    Appreciated!

AZ Member #

Any of you OC guys interested in a set of OEM all weather mats for a B9? I’m a carpet guy myself...

DaveG

AZ Member #

Any of you OC guys interested in a set of OEM all weather mats for a B9? I’m a carpet guy myself...

DaveG
    I actually got a free set from the dealership... But the S4 logo'ed ones are pretty good, especially that it's been raining.

AZ Member #

The words “free” and “dealership” are not usually used in the same sentence. You paid for those mats somewhere along the line...

DaveG

AZ Member #

The words “free” and “dealership” are not usually used in the same sentence. You paid for those mats somewhere along the line...

DaveG
    Absolutely true! But I usually ask for the "free" stuff after they agreed to lower the price even further. I know they didn't get much out of me on this deal since I got the car below invoice (which is a joke) and also they paid for the shipping from Idaho.