Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings elijahallen's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 B8 S4, 2014 Audi Q5 TDI

Red Star test pipes, I will post before and after of drive by and under acceleration

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    IMG_0573.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2016 SQ5 giac dual pulley E85 blend race file and pump street file, Ported blower, Stage II supercharger pulley. 75mm TB, 187mm crank pulley, APR Heat exchanger, Autotech HPFP, RedStar test pipes, CTS intake to modded stock airbox, 034 RSB and end links

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Interested in hearing this. I've been joking about getting a pair of piggy pipes made. I'm already way too loud with the AWE non-res touring though.
    2015 SQ5 Moonlight/Chestnut - 034 E40 57/189, AMS, Fluidampr, AWE, KW, HRE

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rusq5 View Post
    Interested in hearing this. I've been joking about getting a pair of piggy pipes made. I'm already way too loud with the AWE non-res touring though.
    Yea there is little to no power gains in aftermarket cat back exhausts on the SQ5 but quite a bit in test pipes so I'm staying stock exhaust with these. Hope they are quiet.
    Last edited by elijahallen; 11-30-2018 at 05:42 AM.
    2016 SQ5 giac dual pulley E85 blend race file and pump street file, Ported blower, Stage II supercharger pulley. 75mm TB, 187mm crank pulley, APR Heat exchanger, Autotech HPFP, RedStar test pipes, CTS intake to modded stock airbox, 034 RSB and end links

Established Member Three Rings MSq5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Interested is this. Please post before and after sound clips. Also interested in quality of materials, welds and fit. My cats may be failing and I don't intend to replace them just to fail again because of their location. We have no emission testing here.
    2017 Q5 3.0T S-Line | Brilliant Black | EPL Stage 2 93 octane tune | JHM 179mm crank pulley | aFe Pro 5R (part#10-10121) filter in "modified" stock air box | 034 silicone throttle body hose | HP Tuners custom TCU tuned ZF8

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MSq5 View Post
    Interested is this. Please post before and after sound clips. Also interested in quality of materials, welds and fit. My cats may be failing and I don't intend to replace them just to fail again because of their location. We have no emission testing here.
    The material and welds are top notch, I will let you know how they fit and also take several video's of drive by's before and after.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

I've been looking at these pipes as well and have heard good things. My main concern is the sound. I look forward to your testing as I'd like to do similar.
    C7 A6 3.0T, APR Stage 2+, P3U TCU tune, 3.56PR, Tampa Motorsports Porter Blower, 75mm Porsche 997 911 TB and some other goodies.

0-60mph 3.10 seconds
    0-100mph 7.62 seconds
    1/4 mile 11.30 @121.90mph

Established Member Two Rings bobontheroad's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1970 Ford F100 | 2006 HD Sportster 1200 Custom | 1997 Honda Magna 750 |

Interested as well...

2012 Audi A6 (C7) Prestige 3.0T - APR Stage 2+ | P3U Custom TCU Tune | APR Crank Pulley | APR Supercharger Pulley | Injen CAI | 034Motorsport Adjustable Front Sway Bar End Links | P3 Multi-Gauge | RS6 Front Grill | De-Badged | 3M Gloss Roof Wrap | Flat Black Trunk Logo | Flat Black Chrome Delete | Lamin-X Gunsmoke Taillight Tint | 20" Niche Sector 196 - Flat Black | 20" - Pirelli PZero Y-Rated | 20" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ Y-Rated

Active Member Two Rings EvoToSQ5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 Audi SQ5

Any idea how much work is involved with installing these? I see with the S4ís you need to drop the trans mount just to get enough clearance to install them. Also seems most shops want anywhere between $1400-$2000 to install them.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EvoToSQ5 View Post
    Any idea how much work is involved with installing these? I see with the S4ís you need to drop the trans mount just to get enough clearance to install them. Also seems most shops want anywhere between $1400-$2000 to install them.

I'll let you know but that sounds extremely high for install. My shop will pull the motor and put it back in for less than that.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by elijahallen View Post
    I'll let you know but that sounds extremely high for install. My shop will pull the motor and put it back in for less than that.
    It's not that outrageous and a lot of shops will want to pull the motor. Bet you're closer to $1k than you'd hope for install. The cat situation is one of the things I'm excited about moving away from in the B9 turbo motor.
    2018 SQ5 - Daytona, Prestige

*Sold*2011 S4 - EPL Dual Pulley + TCU - 20" BBS LM - Bilstein B12 - APR RSC Exhaust
    Deval CF Diffuser - Maxton Splitter - USP Intake - MercRacing HE - CR15 -AutoTech HPFP

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A3 convertable, BMW F650GS

Forgive me, but why are they called "test" pipes? I'm new to Audi mods.
    ...See you in the Everglades

2018 A3 Cabriolet Cosmic Blue Premium Plus
    2018 Q5 Ibis White Prestige

Established Member Two Rings tastic's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ColeQ5 View Post
    Forgive me, but why are they called "test" pipes? I'm new to Audi mods.
    Itís not an Audi specific term. It refers to any straight pipe that is a direct replacement for a section of factory exhaust piping that normally has a cat.

Established Member Three Rings MSq5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JD S4 View Post
    It's not that outrageous and a lot of shops will want to pull the motor. Bet you're closer to $1k than you'd hope for install. The cat situation is one of the things I'm excited about moving away from in the B9 turbo motor.
    Yes, running a turbo instead of the supercharger will help with the cat failure, but only if the cats are farther downstream than we have now with the B8R.

Does anyone know if the B9 exhaust layout has moved the cats back downstream more?

One other observation: Turbos can be sensitive to excessively high exhaust gas temperatures (EGT). Water and oil passageways in the housing can only do so much. They need to be kept within their thermal efficiency map or they will poop the sheet. Been there on other platforms. When tunes come out they are likely to be for the stock B9 turbo and not larger, more efficient aftermarket turbos that could produce more power at lower, more efficient boost levels that keep EGTs lower. At least it should be easier to get to the turbo and replacing it. Replacing or rebuilding the a turbo and labor may be less than replacing two cats.
    2017 Q5 3.0T S-Line | Brilliant Black | EPL Stage 2 93 octane tune | JHM 179mm crank pulley | aFe Pro 5R (part#10-10121) filter in "modified" stock air box | 034 silicone throttle body hose | HP Tuners custom TCU tuned ZF8

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Yes, running a turbo instead of the supercharger will help with the cat failure, but only if the cats are farther downstream than we have now with the B8R.

Does anyone know if the B9 exhaust layout has moved the cats back downstream more?

One other observation: Turbos can be sensitive to excessively high exhaust gas temperatures (EGT). Water and oil passageways in the housing can only do so much. They need to be kept within their thermal efficiency map or they will poop the sheet. Been there on other platforms. When tunes come out they are likely to be for the stock B9 turbo and not larger, more efficient aftermarket turbos that could produce more power at lower, more efficient boost levels that keep EGTs lower. At least it should be easier to get to the turbo and replacing it. Replacing or rebuilding the a turbo and labor may be less than replacing two cats.
    The CAT is directly mounted to the turbo on the B9 3.0t.
    C7 A6 3.0T, APR Stage 2+, P3U TCU tune, 3.56PR, Tampa Motorsports Porter Blower, 75mm Porsche 997 911 TB and some other goodies.

0-60mph 3.10 seconds
    0-100mph 7.62 seconds
    1/4 mile 11.30 @121.90mph

AZ Member #

https://www.audiboost.com/content.ph...Audi-S4-and-S5

Scroll down about 1/2 way to the 4th picture and you can see the cat. Only time will tell how it lasts - but if nothing else, access to it is much easier. I still find the "hot v-mount" location strange for the B9 3.0s but it cant be worse than the heat of a supercharger combined with the "pull the engine at least half way out" location on the B8.. The B9 S4 guys are starting to experiment with "big turbos" (being controlled by a piggy! EEKS!) - that will be fun to watch.

That being said - test pipes are a good edition to a modded B8. Just a PITA to access. If you can control noise/drone - it's a winning combo. Excited to see what Elijah comes up with on sound suppression.

*Sold*2011 S4 - EPL Dual Pulley + TCU - 20" BBS LM - Bilstein B12 - APR RSC Exhaust
    Deval CF Diffuser - Maxton Splitter - USP Intake - MercRacing HE - CR15 -AutoTech HPFP

AZ Member #
    My Garage

If all goes well I will have the ported blower and test pipes on next week.

AZ Member #

If all goes well I will have the ported blower and test pipes on next week.
    Kickass. You should have one of (if not the) fastest B8 SQ very shortly, Sir!! Stoked to hear how it all comes together.

Sent from my

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Kickass. You should have one of (if not the) fastest B8 SQ very shortly, Sir!! Stoked to hear how it all comes together.

Sent from my
    Unfortunately its full on winter up here in Michigan so testing is limited with snow tires but we get a dry day here and there that I can log so I hope to get the new DP, larger TB, Ported Blower, Catless tune ironed out with GIAC through the next few months and in April I plan to see how this car can dance on a road course. It should be fun to toss this pig around the track haha

Established Member Two Rings KillerQuattro's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Unfortunately its full on winter up here in Michigan so testing is limited with snow tires but we get a dry day here and there that I can log so I hope to get the new DP, larger TB, Ported Blower, Catless tune ironed out with GIAC through the next few months and in April I plan to see how this car can dance on a road course. It should be fun to toss this pig around the track haha
    Any plans on a BBK for your track endeavors?
    2013 Q5 3.0t- KW SC, Eurocode Alu Kreuz, 034 inlet/AWE filter, EBC Brakes w/ SS lines, Hartmann HRS6 20x9, MF #11385
    Sold: 2007 Ibis Avant- 2.0t 6mt, JHM HFC, TT DP, JHM HPFP, GFB+, B5 perch mod, 19x9 RS6, Hawk slotted rotors and performance pads.
    Sold: 1992 urS4- Garret 3071R, 034 tuning, RS2 goodies, 993TT BBK
    Sold: 1995 urS6- k26 hybrid turbo, H&R Sport springs

AZ Member #

And a 200+mm crank pulley. :-) Max out the boost on the map sensor.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KillerQuattro View Post
    Any plans on a BBK for your track endeavors?
    Not at this point, I have Dave from Zeckhausen Racing have Porterfield making some dedicated track pads front and rear and Iíll see how the stock brakes hold up with those for now.
    Last edited by elijahallen; 12-07-2018 at 12:01 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

And a 200+mm crank pulley. :-) Max out the boost on the map sensor.
    If I was building it for drag racing Iíd go bigger pulley but the 187 is the perfect size for doing everything well without cooking the charger at the road course events. Thatís what I ended up with on my S4 after testing different sizes and it was just about right, the 184 was actually a little better on track but I like that little extra of the 187 for everything else.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A3 convertable, BMW F650GS

Quote Originally Posted by tastic View Post
    Itís not an Audi specific term. It refers to any straight pipe that is a direct replacement for a section of factory exhaust piping that normally has a cat.
    Thank you, so test kinda means cat delete.
    ...See you in the Everglades

2018 A3 Cabriolet Cosmic Blue Premium Plus
    2018 Q5 Ibis White Prestige