Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

00 a4 1.8t to fix or part

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have a 2000 a4 awm 1.8t with 200k on the motor, the transmission line burst and the mechanic i took it too damaged the transmission by trying to move the car with no fluid in the transmission, long story short 1st 2nd reverse and neutral work... park 3rd 4th 5th and wont engauge the car looks good besides a ding on the hood and is my favorite color of these cars hibiscus red.. everything else works perfect on this car and it has a brand new turbo cat and exhaust, cat and exhaust are from a 03 that was in a scrap yard, i have several other cars including another 99 1.8t an 03 3.0 a6 and 08 a6 3.2.

The car in question sparked my love for working on cars but has been sitting 2 years now other than the occasional drive around my house a few laps to keep it from rotting, i have not taken any parts from this car due to the engines having nothing really in common other than being 1.8ts, the vagcom said the trans was stuck, should i bite the bullet replace it and hope to sell it, of part it out, if i part it out i know what the parts go for but i dont want to pull something someone change their mind and then get stuck with scrap pile of a car. Is it hard to swap transmissions on these cars, i have changed a transmission on a car before but nothing like a 1.8tq.

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

The only correct answer here: 5MT swap.

But a used tiptronic shouldn't be too expensive either. The tiptronic unit is quite heavy and it's position in the car can make it a little bit of a challenge to do without a lift and such. Certainly possible to do this on jack stands, though.
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, R8 coil packs, Labree HFC & DP, 2.5" Exhaust, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, A8 Brakes Front & Rear, 18" RS4 Reps
    2006 Passion Red Volvo V50 T5 AWD 6MT
    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by walky_talky20 View Post
    The only correct answer here: 5MT swap.

But a used tiptronic shouldn't be too expensive either. The tiptronic unit is quite heavy and it's position in the car can make it a little bit of a challenge to do without a lift and such. Certainly possible to do this on jack stands, though.
    yea I have access to a lift so thats not an issue, its the whole, into the unknown, I would love to do a 5mt swap but havent had any luck in finding one thats not "needing repairs" lol its happened on 4 that i have asked about on here

Senior Member Two Rings Cybersombosis's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Where are you located?
    2001.5 Audi A4 1.8TQMS - Brilliant Black on Black Onyx Sport Cloth
    Motoza Hybrid K04 Tune, Frankenturbo F4-H Kit, Bosch EV14 550cc injectors, APR R1 Diverter Valve, Snow Performance Stage 3 Water/Meth Injection Dual Nozzle Setup, Majestic FMIC kit, Podi Boost Gauge in center vent pod, ATP Test Pipe, K&N air filter, HID fog upgrade, eBay short shifter, Center LCD retrofit, Aero wiper kit.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Cybersombosis View Post
    Where are you located?
    25901**, WV

Senior Member Two Rings Cybersombosis's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Too far away from me. I have a 2000 FEQ auto tranny sitting here.

Doug
    2001.5 Audi A4 1.8TQMS - Brilliant Black on Black Onyx Sport Cloth
    Motoza Hybrid K04 Tune, Frankenturbo F4-H Kit, Bosch EV14 550cc injectors, APR R1 Diverter Valve, Snow Performance Stage 3 Water/Meth Injection Dual Nozzle Setup, Majestic FMIC kit, Podi Boost Gauge in center vent pod, ATP Test Pipe, K&N air filter, HID fog upgrade, eBay short shifter, Center LCD retrofit, Aero wiper kit.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Cybersombosis View Post
    Too far away from me. I have a 2000 FEQ auto tranny sitting here.

Doug
    I travel all over the eastern US where are you located?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Wooshy View Post
    I travel all over the eastern US where are you located?
    Lol nvm just seen your location, other side of canada lol, darn if i were closer ide come get it lol

AZ Member #

yea I have access to a lift so thats not an issue, its the whole, into the unknown, I would love to do a 5mt swap but havent had any luck in finding one thats not "needing repairs" lol its happened on 4 that i have asked about on here
    What do you mean by needing repairs? All A4's have a "needs repair" list, lol.

My car has been 5MT swapped for, like, 130k miles. The only swap complication has been that it needs a throwout bearing soon. It squeals just a bit at the friction point when it's cold. And that's just because I'm a level 12 cheapskate and put a used one in during the swap.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, R8 coil packs, Labree HFC & DP, 2.5" Exhaust, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, A8 Brakes Front & Rear, 18" RS4 Reps
    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

My car has been 5MT swapped for, like, 130k miles. The only swap complication has been that it needs a throwout bearing soon. It squeals just a bit at the friction point when it's cold. And that's just because I'm a level 12 cheapskate and put a used one in during the swap.
    Why didnt you swap to a 6 speed trans if doing all that work :P ?
    2000 Audi A4 B5 Avant - 1.8 N/A ARG bottom end, AEB Head ( cams, valves, springs etc.) , big port gasket matched N/A intake manifold . Planning turbo conversion soonTM .

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I have seen 2 local to me, both were worn with 100k+ but were pulled in working condition, but one was missing parts and the other was missing 5th, tried to get both as they were numbers matching, but the place that had them wanted 500 each lol

Sent from my SM-G920P using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #

I have a 2000 a4 awm 1.8t with 200k on the motor, the transmission line burst and the mechanic i took it too damaged the transmission by trying to move the car with no fluid in the transmission, long story short 1st 2nd reverse and neutral work... park 3rd 4th 5th and wont engauge the car looks good besides a ding on the hood and is my favorite color of these cars hibiscus red.. everything else works perfect on this car and it has a brand new turbo cat and exhaust, cat and exhaust are from a 03 that was in a scrap yard, i have several other cars including another 99 1.8t an 03 3.0 a6 and 08 a6 3.2.

The car in question sparked my love for working on cars but has been sitting 2 years now other than the occasional drive around my house a few laps to keep it from rotting, i have not taken any parts from this car due to the engines having nothing really in common other than being 1.8ts, the vagcom said the trans was stuck, should i bite the bullet replace it and hope to sell it, of part it out, if i part it out i know what the parts go for but i dont want to pull something someone change their mind and then get stuck with scrap pile of a car. Is it hard to swap transmissions on these cars, i have changed a transmission on a car before but nothing like a 1.8tq.
    If the shop broke the transmission then the shop should replace the transmission...that's what I would be telling them to do. The transmissions in these cars are very heavy (at least in the quattros)....doing them on the floor of your garage with your car jacked up on stands is a very dangerous proposition for you...you could drop the new one and break it, you could not get the car high enough to get the new trans in....you could drop it on yourself, etc... Transmissions on these cars are better removed and replaced while on a lift. I had a shop change out my trans when it failed (because it's an Audi...they fail because they are shit bucket cars) because I know how much work it is and even the shop dropped the new trans when they were trying to put it in, they ate that one.

So if you do end up finding a lift to do the work on, make sure you have a second person spotting you while you are jacking the trans up into the well. Make sure you use a proper trans jack stand to take it up, one with straps on it so the trans doesn't fall.

AZ Member #

I've done more then one trans while a car is up on jack stands. It's a really really stupid way to do a transmission job. It also usually takes about 5 times as long to do that way as well and it's very unsafe.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mobildetroit View Post
    If the shop broke the transmission then the shop should replace the transmission...that's what I would be telling them to do. The transmissions in these cars are very heavy (at least in the quattros)....doing them on the floor of your garage with your car jacked up on stands is a very dangerous proposition for you...you could drop the new one and break it, you could not get the car high enough to get the new trans in....you could drop it on yourself, etc... Transmissions on these cars are better removed and replaced while on a lift. I had a shop change out my trans when it failed (because it's an Audi...they fail because they are shit bucket cars) because I know how much work it is and even the shop dropped the new trans when they were trying to put it in, they ate that one.

So if you do end up finding a lift to do the work on, make sure you have a second person spotting you while you are jacking the trans up into the well. Make sure you use a proper trans jack stand to take it up, one with straps on it so the trans doesn't fall.
    Appreciate it but they closed shortly after and the guy died who ran the shop, i have access to a lift, im just not well versed in trans

Sent from my SM-G920P using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #

Shouldn't be to bad if you are using a lift....but it's kind of a two person job...at least going in and coming out.
    Also, I would service the trans if it's used. Just make sure you understand the trans fill procedure. Need to fill from the bottom and do so with the engine at the right temp. There is a process to it. Should be fairly easy to google the steps.....or pick yourself up a service manual on the car.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mobildetroit View Post
    Shouldn't be to bad if you are using a lift....but it's kind of a two person job...at least going in and coming out.
    Also, I would service the trans if it's used. Just make sure you understand the trans fill procedure. Need to fill from the bottom and do so with the engine at the right temp. There is a process to it. Should be fairly easy to google the steps.....or pick yourself up a service manual on the car.
    i had the transmission fluid filled while it was on the car, but i couldnt tell u how it was filled, The car does not have 3rd 4th or 5th, but everything else works sadly.. it says its stuck when a vagcom it

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Blazius View Post
    1st: not really that much work. It just plugs up. 2nd: This was years ago. 6MT boxes were, like 8-10x the cost of the 5MT box. And the ones that bolted up with OEM parts (the 01E), have expensive shift collar failures. So even if I had found a cheap one, I'd be rebuilding it for $600.

I did the entire swap for $100. $500 in parts and sold the Tiptronic for $400. This aligned well with my epic cheapskate tendencies.

These days there is information on how to swap the 01X 6MT box, which has growing availability as the B6's and B7's age out. If I did it again today, I'd probably do an 01X.

Veteran Member Four Rings RENOxDECEPTION's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 B5 A4 1.8TQM, 2000 B5 A4 1.8TQM

Quote Originally Posted by Blazius View Post
    Plus he used a 5 speed out of a coupe quattro so he didn't have to swap his rear diff which goes back to that "level 12 cheapskate" jab he took at himself above

<3 walky

2000 Audi A4 B5 1.8TQM AEB/06A
    1998 Audi A4 B5 4.2QM (Thread)
    2000 Audi A4 B5 1.8TQM ATW Wideband

AZ Member #

1st: not really that much work. It just plugs up. 2nd: This was years ago. 6MT boxes were, like 8-10x the cost of the 5MT box. And the ones that bolted up with OEM parts (the 01E), have expensive shift collar failures. So even if I had found a cheap one, I'd be rebuilding it for $600.

I did the entire swap for $100. $500 in parts and sold the Tiptronic for $400. This aligned well with my epic cheapskate tendencies.

These days there is information on how to swap the 01X 6MT box, which has growing availability as the B6's and B7's age out. If I did it again today, I'd probably do an 01X.
    I see :D
    2000 Audi A4 B5 Avant - 1.8 N/A ARG bottom end, AEB Head ( cams, valves, springs etc.) , big port gasket matched N/A intake manifold . Planning turbo conversion soonTM .

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by RENOxDECEPTION View Post
    Plus he used a 5 speed out of a coupe quattro so he didn't have to swap his rear diff which goes back to that "level 12 cheapskate" jab he took at himself above

<3 walky
    And #CloseRatioFTW

So I can lose to minivans off the line...whilst having closer gears.