Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Two Rings Tuning@VelocityAP's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Question *Gauging Interest* To Create a S5 B8.5 3.0 TFSI Pops N Bangs/Burble by VelocityAP

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello everyone,

I had posted this in the S4 threads but thought I'd share it over here, for any B8.5 S5's looking for options or if just plain curious..

I would like to first start out saying..I know the topic of Pops N Bangs/Burble might get a lot of heat but this is not to start a debate, we're just gauging interest of a product not seen for this platform. Please respect the topic...Thank You

Lets give you a little info on us, our name is VelocityAP. We're known for our Tuning, Exhaust and Performance Parts development on most of the British brands like Aston Martin, Bentley, Jaguar, Land Rover, McLaren (Our headers are homologated for the 4.7L engines in the Aston Martin Racing series). We've also started breaking into the Lamborghini, Audi R8 and RS5 market.

Recently, there was an audizine thread created by a member inquiring about a Pops N Bangs tune for the 3.0L TFSI (Simos 8.4/8.5). Being I own a B8 S4 DSG and I'm (irish07) the software calibration engineer for VelocityAP, I decided to accept it as a challenge and see if it was possible. After a few tests on my own vehicle, I managed to create a pops and bangs/burble edit, which too be honest is growing on me. I managed to create the trigger at 3k, was mild/tamed and if more was desired I'd just tip in the throttle with rpm still falling.

Here's some youtube vids of my S4 during tests (bare in mind, besides rear reso swap for an xpipe, exhaust is stock..no pullies, just an intake).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jpSRnIhmcU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksRtsyvGEJA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28WxF0lKFXA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZssliHNmew

The video's are not the greatest sound quality, it's just to validate this particular request could be done on the B8/B8.5 platform.

We also had a client reach out for an RS5 Pops N Burbles tune which has taken to that market really well. Here's link to most common post:

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ble-Tune-VIDEO

The reason for this new thread post, I've been having a number of ppl inquire if I could create the same tune on my B8 S4 for them.

The issue, not many flashing tools are on the market for this this platform's ecu, that would allow clients to keep as an end user tool (Simos 8.4/8.5). Most of tools available for companies are either bench or in-shop flashing. There's a few end user tools that clients can keep BUT require an unlocking procedure before it's possible to flash via OBD (unlocking requires ecu in shop to unlock on bench). Now some companies have gone out and made there own devices and software to enable the ability for the perfect end user tool..just this costs them $$$$$$..blunt truth is we don't have the funds to invest in "just" this platform..(it's not our current market...could be though )

Where the *Gauging Interest* comes into play. I've found a tool company that we can buy an end user tool that would enable clients to read the file via OBD(so you keep the tool). This would make each file unique and built for every vehicle one-by-one (aka..hybrid email/custom tune, no list to select from or need of buying credits). This particular tool is not cheap and no interest to us beyond enabling the ability for B8/B8.5 clients to have an end user tool versus coming in shop. Btw, once mod file is loaded to device, no more pc required to flash, just plug in programming device and select between stock or mod files created. This also doesn't mean the Pops N Bangs is required as a solo file, I could make 2 files (1 with and another without), the unit can hold a couple MOD files + original read all at same time. Example: 1. Stg1, 2. Stg1+Pops n Bangs, 3. Stg1+ 2* extra timing..etc

In order for us to invest into this project, we'd need a chunk of the cost taken on by a group pre-buy of some sort. I'm not certain of the client/retail price yet but it would be competitive to the market. Better yet, be honest and let me know here how much a competitive price would be in your mind for what we'd provide. Keep in mind, I wouldn't be charging for the extra minor adjusted files on the unit. The price would be for the unit and the files like above mentioned. If you had a special request to add more timing or particular AFR and it was a simple adjusted, it would all be included in "that" price. We're not looking to take over and become the new face, we have a lot of catching up to do in regards to the 3.0 TFSI (if it happens, so be it but it's not the intent). We know there's a massive amount of knowledge from current tuning companies and vehicle owners on here, we're just wondering if this is something of interest we could provide to this market?

What do you think..?
    Would you like us to create this tuning option for the B8/B8.5 3.0 TFSI market?
    What would be the price point you suggest for this?
    Would you be willing to enter a group pre-buy?
    Christopher Edgett
    Technical Development & Support

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
    206 Maple Ave.
    Oliver, BC
    Canada V0H1T0

Office: (1)250-485-5126
    www.velocityap.com

Established Member Four Rings kjeeper10's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Jeep Wrangler JK

Excuse my ignorance on this topic. Would this work along with another tune?
    2015 Audi S5, Daytona Grey Pearl, B&O Sound, 6 Speed - Sport Differential - Opti-Pro Coat - Mods - CR-15 - FTBR Garage tuned APR Stage II - Dual Pulley - CPS Cooler - Eurocode SS Shifter - USP SS Clutch line - 034 SD Engine mounts - Open Road Tuning adjustable coilovers - CTS intake - Rare OEM A5 19” wheels on 255 Sumi A/S tires (winter setup). Too do list, down pipes - Clutch upgrade (when mine blows up) - eventually Ultra Charger.

AZ Member #

The pops and bangs edit is supposed to be with our Stg1 released (for now, but could be married into any version). If you didn't want our Stg1 and would like to retain your file due to your current setup + add in the pops and bangs edit? Bare in mind it's not the intent, but I could make it work. Something like this though would require your ecu in-house, to extract the your mod file on bench.
    Christopher Edgett

206 Maple Ave.
    Oliver, BC
    Canada V0H1T0

www.velocityap.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Jeep Wrangler JK

Quote Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP View Post
    The pops and bangs edit is supposed to be with our Stg1 released (for now, but could be married into any version). If you didn't want our Stg1 and would like to retain your file due to your current setup + add in the pops and bangs edit? Bare in mind it's not the intent, but I could make it work. Something like this though would require your ecu in-house, to extract the your mod file on bench.
    Just curious, was not clear on how it worked. Wouldn’t be worth it cost wise and vehicle down time for something like this.
    2015 Audi S5, Daytona Grey Pearl, B&O Sound, 6 Speed - Sport Differential - Opti-Pro Coat - Mods - CR-15 - FTBR Garage tuned APR Stage II - Dual Pulley - CPS Cooler - Eurocode SS Shifter - USP SS Clutch line - 034 SD Engine mounts - Open Road Tuning adjustable coilovers - CTS intake - Rare OEM A5 19” wheels on 255 Sumi A/S tires (winter setup). Too do list, down pipes - Clutch upgrade (when mine blows up) - eventually Ultra Charger.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
    Just curious, was not clear on how it worked. Wouldn’t be worth it cost wise and vehicle down time for something like this.
    No worries..with most ppl having a B8/B8.5 as their DD, I don't see many ppl going that route either

The hand held device only takes a virtual read, meaning it reads the file calibration ID and then searches a server for the matching "original file". I would only get the original file, then edit our stg1+pops and bangs and code to hand held device., it's the reason why I'd have to read your tuned ecu on the bench, it's presently one of the only ways to get the actual mod file off your style of ecu.
    Christopher Edgett

206 Maple Ave.
    Oliver, BC
    Canada V0H1T0

www.velocityap.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Jeep Wrangler JK

Quote Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP View Post
    No worries..with most ppl having a B8/B8.5 as their DD, I don't see many ppl going that route either

The hand held device only takes a virtual read, meaning it reads the file calibration ID and then searches a server for the matching "original file". I would only get the original file, then edit our stg1+pops and bangs and code to hand held device., it's the reason why I'd have to read your tuned ecu on the bench, it's presently one of the only ways to get the actual mod file off your style of ecu.
    Understood