Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Arrow Weird coolant temp issue

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey , so I recently replaced the head on my car so I replaced belts and ofcourse the waterpump etc.

Well the issue is that no matter what I do I cannot get the motor up to temp because it takes like 45 mins of idle , and if I start using heat (which I need when I am driving,cause windows..) temp plummets no matter what, even at idle.

So I replaced the thermostat , which keep in mind was replaced recently(3000km ish ago) and was working perfectly.. but now it the little needle thing that holds the mechanism in place, was popped out to the side.
    It didnt work. Then I bleed the heater core thru the hose/bleed hole next to battery. Same thing.

So I just got a brand new thermostat ,, fluids etc. I am going to try to replace it again.

Any help, or insight about the issue would be much appreciated. Cheers.
    Last edited by Blazius; 11-29-2018 at 11:59 AM.
    2000 B5 A4 Avant - S Line - Sport package

N/A ARG bottom end, AEB Head | Planning t3/t4 turbo conversion soonTM

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Blazius View Post
    Hey , so I recently replaced the head on my car so I replaced belts and ofcourse the waterpump etc.

Well the issue is that no matter what I do I cannot get the motor up to temp because it takes like 45 mins of idle , and I start using heat which I need when I am driving temp plummets no matter what, even at idle.

So I replaced the thermostat , which keep in mind was replaced recently and was working perfectly, and found out that the little needle looking thing that holds the mechanism im place was popped out to the side

It didnt work. Then I bleed the heater core thru the hose next to battery. Same thing

So I just got a brand new thermostat , I am going to replace it again.

Any help, or insight about the issue would be much appreciated. Cheers.
    You may want to check the temp with vag to verify that it matches what the gauges say, possible bad temp sensor maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ktsimp721 View Post
    You may want to check the temp with vag to verify that it matches what the gauges say, possible bad temp sensor maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    CTS has been replaced along with tstat about 3000 km ago, and can confirm its working perfectly ;/
    Last edited by Blazius; 11-29-2018 at 11:56 AM.

AZ Member #

Alllright, I have fixed it..

Drained all the coolant from rad, drained water pump drain hole, filled up tank with hot clear water ran the car for 5 mins. Repeated same process (draining). Changed termostat to a Gates one. Fill up coolant, bleed heater core hose and all is good.

So if anybody is having the same issues , replace the thermostat even if it was replaced recently and do a complete flush and refill.

Veteran Member Four Rings RENOxDECEPTION's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 B5 A4 1.8TQM, 2000 B5 A4 1.8TQM

OEM thermostat only! Or at least test it before installing.

I recently boil tested an aftermarket 4.2 thermostat and it barely opened, an OEM one worked beautifully.

2000 Audi A4 B5 1.8TQM AEB/06A
    1998 Audi A4 B5 4.2QM (Thread)
    2000 Audi A4 B5 1.8TQM ATW Wideband

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by RENOxDECEPTION View Post
    OEM thermostat only! Or at least test it before installing.

I recently boil tested an aftermarket 4.2 thermostat and it barely opened, an OEM one worked beautifully.
    Huh, good thing you didnt put that in the car. I used a VEMO aftermarket and b4 that I had OEM, and as I said it was working but changing the waterpump made it fail somehow. This Gates one work perfect, I trust them , they do a lot of OEM stuff for VW / Audi.