Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Two Rings goodhews's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Goodhew's Misano Red TT-RS

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Already had a thread on Vortex, but figured I should keep one over here as well.

I found my TT-RS through cargurus.com in texas, and at the time had a mk2 3.2 TT. I really didn't want the TT-RS because I had planned on turboing the 3.2 car, so I sent it to all my friends and tried to get them to buy it. A few days later I was on a plane to Texas.

The drive home was about 25hrs and it gave me plenty of time to order new stuff; red star downpipe & cat deletes, girodisc pads, usp brakelines, motul brakefluid, bc racing coilovers with swift springs, Sachs clutch, bfi engine/transmission mounts, maxton diffuser, ecodes & handful of other bits. As soon as the clutch arrived I dropped the transmission and found that my flywheel was very burnt. No dealership in the United States stocks that flywheel, but they were kind enough to over night one from Germany. All went well and the car was back together for Windy City DubFest. Which is how I planned it, so I could go up to Automobile Day Spa and have a stg2 United Motorsports tune installed.

All the while I was struggling to find a wheel that looked decent and cleared the massive rs brakes. I literally had 5 different wheels shipped to me just trying to get something to clear them. I finally ended up with a set of wci wheels that look great and clear my wheels. But, the cast off the shelf wheels were just temporary til I could have a set built. I actually got in contact with two completely separate companies had 15+ messages back and forth with the last message being, "go ahead and send me the invoice for it all and I'll pay it." And both companies never messaged me again. With that in mind I decided hey, I could not order wheels for people too.... So I got in contact with Rotiform and now am a Rotiform dealer. I have detailing, wrap, decal business that I am planning on turning more into an online sales of detailing products, decals, wheels, and some carbon fiber bits I plan to make. But, first I intend to redo my showroom and for that to happen I need a bit of time. So I am shooting for the end of the year/early next year. To go along with that I am planning to have a set of rotiform's built and am coming up with a few liveries to sort of announce the start of my rotiform sales.

So far I absolutely hate my Sachs clutch. I plan on dropping the transmission again and replacing it with a Helix as soon as the show season is over. My UM tune is way too rich for my liking, but I don't see any better options. My bc coils are amazing and easily the best coilovers I've ever experienced. The car is great, I really enjoy it. The red has grown on me, but still don't love it. I do hate the black and red seats and hope to go to solid black eventually. Once I get my forged rotiform's and a proper track tire I plan to do more events. And that's about it for current future plans.

Also found my son a matching TT-RS, it's in the process of being lowered now.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Got my new intake installed and as expected it made no real power difference, at full throttle. But I was pleasantly surprised to find at partial throttle the car is far more responsive.

Also was able to attend Volktoberfest in Indianapolis with my son and brought both of his TT's. He was quite happy to bring home a top15 trophy.

Ordered both a new rear diffuser and carbon fiber fuel door some time ago and am expecting them any day now. I also am working on finalizing my wheel specs that I plan to have rotiform build for me and hope to get the order in this week
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent my wheel order in to rotiform about a month ago. Not quite ready to give up the model or color that I ordered. But, they are being built as 19x9.5 et 45 and they will be monoblocks. I planned to go with a split wheel and was fully ready to go with a 3 piece setup, but changed my mind at the last minute.

Finally dropped my transmission and found why my clutch pedal felt so awful. Basically 1/4 of the fingers on the pressure plate were bent slightly in. So at best I only ever had 3/4 of my clutch engaged. The pressure plate, clutch disc & flywheel were all burnt to a crisp. Sach's thought it was a bad slave cylinder right up until I told them that was also a brand new Sach's unit. Then it was an installation error, with no theories of where the error could be. So in total I was able to get around 1200-1500 miles out of my sachs clutch($800), sachs slave cylinder($100) & oe dual mass flywheel($900). I will do a write up on my experience with Sach's Performance and why you shouldn't waste $1800 like I did.... But, that is a discussion for a dedicated thread.

The Helix clutch looks amazing. I can't speak for how it feels yet, but it is easily one of the nicest clutches I have handled. The transmission will be back in the car this weekend, so I will be able to give a bit of feedback then.

I hated the silver fuel door, since my car doesn't have anything else silver on it. So I went to a carbon fiber fuel door, to match my carbon fiber mirrors and I plan on picking up a widened cf spoiler at some point. I actually like cf even less than silver but at least it matches and looks somewhat fitting.

I got my new diffuser and it is close to being what I wanted, but not quite right. Once I get a bit of free time I will probably make a mold and start making a cf diffuser.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also took a few shots of a wheel I used for testing.... The black wheel is a 19x9.5 et48 255/35-19. If anyone is interested in 8j wheel fitment. The wheels are a Niche Verona(I belive) and they do not clear the TT-RS front brakes. I apparently I lost the photos of them on the front. I will try to recover them.

Veteran Member Three Rings kt883's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Gorgeous car!
    Looking for someone for a quick photoshop request PM me if you can help with a quick job

AZ Member #

Thank you sir!

It will be much much better once my new Rotiforms are built/on it!

Veteran Member Four Rings nnnick's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 S4 6MT

Looks great! Out of curiosity, does it have the Audi Exclusive interior with the red accents, and was in Houston? If so I remember looking at that car. Nice pickup :)
    Current: 2012 Audi TT-RS | HREs, MSS Kits, oCarbon, and most of the 034 Catalog
    Former: 2006 Audi S4 (Heavily Modded) | 2006 Audi A4 (Also Heavily Modded)

Visit my blog: NicksCarBlog.com

AZ Member #

I don't think it was ever in Houston, I picked in it up in El Paso. But, it does have the awful red black Audi Exclusive interior. I am hoping to get the factory recaro wingbacks with the TT print on them. Unfortunately they are expensive($3000) and only in europe which would make shipping extremely expensive. So it is not a top priority. And thank you! It should look a lot better once I finally get my new rotiform wheels in.

Active Member Two Rings TiTTSMAN's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 BMW K1600 GT

Quote Originally Posted by goodhews View Post
    Thank you sir!

It will be much much better once my new Rotiforms are built/on it!
    How did the Rotiforms work out?
    2013 Audi TTS Roadster Prestige - Phantom Black

AZ Member #

Couldn't be happier with them! The car had been apart for the clutch, some suspension tweaks and a few other changes and didn't plan to have the car on the road until spring. But, I got the wheels on Tuesday and had the car on the road Wednesday.

The wheels turned out more of root beer ish color than expected, which isn't a bad thing. But there is a lot of color change depending on lighting so I really can't wait til I get chance to have the car on a nice sunny day.

The new Helix clutch is amazing so far. Pedal pressure is definitely stiffer than stock, but I wouldn't mind driving it everyday. The release point is exactly where I like it, about the same as stock(the Sachs is super high, I've had a few people say that about their Sachs as well.) But, I only drove it 35minutes on a 40 day, and didn't push. I will review it more when I get a bit more time & launches on it.

I held off on the airtek fmic install. I want to be able to give a real review on it. I've not driven this car enough to fully remember what it drove like before winter and be able to compare it. So I will save the diy and review for the spring.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk