Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Shift to P, otherwise your vehicle can roll away

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Well, this is weird and hard to search for.

So, this afternoon, I pulled up parked the car, put the car in park, turned it off, and opened the door. As I was getting out, I got the "Shift to P, Otherwise vehicle can roll away. Doors do not lock if the lever is not in P." message. I have seen this a about a dozen times over the last year, but a slight tap on the shift knob and it would go off. This time is is on for good.

Pulling and Flicking the button does nothing.

I have tested it in both Tip mode and Sport mode and everything seems to be working fine.

The car is in park, and does not roll. It starts fine(mostly, but this is for a different thread) So it kind of thinks its in Park, but maybe Neutral.

I am thinking a sensor somewhere, but where?

Thoughts?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Get hold of SSP 385. Page 88 onward discusses the micro switches and shift display of the C6 4F A6. I believe that one of these micro switches or the selector lever sender is faulty.
    Looks like there is a separate micro switch setup for the ignition lock logic, and then the selector lever sensor for the transmission.

If you connect a VCDS to the car and go into the measure blocks values of the transmission, there is a display there for what position the transmission thinks the selector is in. See if it corresponds.
    Additionally you should be able to log into the Instrument cluster and the Access/Start Authorization modules and see what position they think the shifter is in.

Basically, my money is on the shifter mechanism and its reporting of the correct position of the lever.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mkv View Post
    Get hold of SSP 385. Page 88 onward discusses the micro switches and shift display of the C6 4F A6. I believe that one of these micro switches or the selector lever sender is faulty.
    Looks like there is a separate micro switch setup for the ignition lock logic, and then the selector lever sensor for the transmission.

If you connect a VCDS to the car and go into the measure blocks values of the transmission, there is a display there for what position the transmission thinks the selector is in. See if it corresponds.
    Additionally you should be able to log into the Instrument cluster and the Access/Start Authorization modules and see what position they think the shifter is in.

Basically, my money is on the shifter mechanism and its reporting of the correct position of the lever.
    Thanks, I was thinking along these lines, I knew about the blocks in the trans module, but will look at the Start Auth modules shortly.
    It's My Realtor Car

AZ Member #

Well, like it was mentioned, this seems to be an on again off again issue. I just seemed to start working and has not been a problem for the last week or so.

Thanks for the tips, I will keep them in mind if it starts up again.
    It's My Realtor Car