Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Two Rings Cybersombosis's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Did you try pulling on each wire? Youíve pulled one end off of the accordion but there may be a break lower in the loom at the bottom end.
    2001.5 Audi A4 1.8TQMS - Brilliant Black on Black Onyx Sport Cloth
    Motoza Hybrid K04 Tune, Frankenturbo F4-H Kit, Bosch EV14 550cc injectors, APR R1 Diverter Valve, Snow Performance Stage 3 Water/Meth Injection Dual Nozzle Setup, Majestic FMIC kit, Podi Boost Gauge in center vent pod, ATP Test Pipe, K&N air filter, HID fog upgrade, eBay short shifter, Center LCD retrofit, Aero wiper kit.

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I mean, you don't even *have* to fix any of this. You can just fake out the necessary signals so the CLM thinks the key is turning. Some well-timed MacGuyver paperclip back-probe action and you'll have a remote programmed in no time flat.

Not being sarcastic at all. Jump the microswitch wires at the lock pump (like a boss) and you're golden.

If you really wanted to, you could hardwire a 3-position momentary ON-OFF-ON toggle switch so programming additional fobs and such is easier next time. It's 3 wires. Or, for epic bonus points, you could wire in a Super NES controller and use those buttons. You'd win, like, 5 internets.
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, R8 coil packs, Labree HFC & DP, 2.5" Exhaust, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, A8 Brakes Front & Rear, 18" RS4 Reps
    2006 Passion Red Volvo V50 T5 AWD 6MT
    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Did you try googling it?
    "The b5 a4 forum is in desperate need of moderation."
    - RENOxDECEPTION

Veteran Member Four Rings RENOxDECEPTION's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 B5 A4 1.8TQM, 2000 B5 A4 1.8TQM

Quote Originally Posted by rockbeau25 View Post
    Did you try googling it?

2000 Audi A4 B5 1.8TQM AEB/06A
    1998 Audi A4 B5 4.2QM (Thread)
    2000 Audi A4 B5 1.8TQM ATW Wideband

Veteran Member Four Rings fR3ZNO's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Cybersombosis View Post
    Did you try pulling on each wire? Youíve pulled one end off of the accordion but there may be a break lower in the loom at the bottom end.
    Not really, only focused on the two with the damaged insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by walky_talky20 View Post
    I mean, you don't even *have* to fix any of this. You can just fake out the necessary signals so the CLM thinks the key is turning. Some well-timed MacGuyver paperclip back-probe action and you'll have a remote programmed in no time flat.

Not being sarcastic at all. Jump the microswitch wires at the lock pump (like a boss) and you're golden.

If you really wanted to, you could hardwire a 3-position momentary ON-OFF-ON toggle switch so programming additional fobs and such is easier next time. It's 3 wires. Or, for epic bonus points, you could wire in a Super NES controller and use those buttons. You'd win, like, 5 internets.
    I did consider this, since it's just a microswitch closing that the CLM is looking for, like you said. I didn't even think of jumping the wires AT the pump. I was thinking of jumping the wires for the switch at the door latch, but that's SO much more work to disassemble and get to. lol.

I have read on teh internets, that someone with a bad door lock switch successfully programmed their key using the trunk lock cylinder instead. Although, that's not an option for me since that is seized up... so jumping wires it is.

Quote Originally Posted by rockbeau25 View Post
    Did you try googling it?
    brb
    "If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." - Ferdinand Porsche

AZ Member #
    My Garage

since that is seized up
    disassemble that and fix it, a couple screws and 10mm bolts.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by RENOxDECEPTION View Post
    disassemble that and fix it, a couple screws and 10mm bolts.
    I already tried. lol. I got it to at least push in so I can open the trunk, but the internals of the lock are seized up like crazy, no saving it.

Pretty much followed this and wasn't able to get the lock cylinder itself apart. I can't even get the key in the cylinder more than 1cm or so.
    "If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." - Ferdinand Porsche

AZ Member #

Finally got around to attempting the MacGuyver paper-clip back probe technique and the results left me scratching my head.

Had my laptop reading MB 001 and 002 for the CLM. Was mostly looking at field for "rotary switch position" to verify that I was jumping the correct wires to ground for the switch. Referring to the schematics posted earlier, A10 (RED/BRN) and C9 (GRY/WHT) on the CLM are the wires for the door lock microswitch. I used one of the mounting studs for the taillight as a convenient ground for the jumper.

I was able to get the pump to lock the doors by grounding pin A10. This was also verified by the bit changing in measuring blocks. However, I was unable to get the doors to unlock by grounding C9 or even get the bit to change showing that it was registering the ground. I could lock the doors with the key in the driver door lock but can not unlock (bits show locking signal from switch but not the unlock signal).

For shits and giggles, I was able to unlock the doors using the trunk lock alarm switch (grounding A5). But when I grounded A6, it didn't do anything nor did the corresponding bit change in MB. Not sure if that's normal operation, but figured I'd mention it. *shrug*

Now this is where it gets interesting...

The above was done with my original pump that was flooded and I attempted to clean and dry out as best as I could. So I swapped in the spare junkyard CLM that I had. It was not verified as working but there was no apparent water damage to the board when I popped it open.

With the spare CLM installed, I was only able to UNLOCK the doors by grounding pin C9. Grounding pin A10 did nothing, and measuring blocks verified this as well. I had the same behavior using the key in the door. Only could unlock doors, but couldn't lock them.

So based on these findings... I'm thinking the microswitch in the door is fine since it shows the appropriate signals for lock and unlock, but only with a certain CLM installed. So perhaps the spare CLM I have is also damaged? Looks like I need to get a tested, working CLM. Unless someone has a spare that they know for sure is good.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Unable To Clear Central Locking Module Memory

Want me to send you a clm I have Anyway? Itís untested lol just pay shipping.

AZ Member #

Want me to send you a clm I have Anyway? Itís untested lol just pay shipping.
    I mean, third timeís the charm, right?

If you wouldnít mind slapping it in one of your B5ís just to test it first that would be great.

Senior Member Four Rings Mattr567's Avatar
    AZ Member #

At this point, knowing what you know, its gotta be the CLM. When mine flooded I just got a junkyard one and swapped it, easy ass fix.
    The most base A4 in the world

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS
    APR 91|Forge|APR Catback|034 HFC|Valeo SMF|Bilstein B8|Eibach|Neuspeed RSB|ECS N75|AP Racing BBK|034 Snub|OEM Strut Bar|FL Ebay SS|JHM Shift|2.0T Coils|Boost Factory SMIC
    BBS|Podi|AEM|DDM|OEM RS4 Grille|Euro Stuff|Facelift stuff|Sport Cloths|Aero Wipers

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Mattr567 View Post
    At this point, knowing what you know, its gotta be the CLM. When mine flooded I just got a junkyard one and swapped it, easy ass fix.
    Yeah, thatís what Iím thinking. But just my luck that the spare I got isnít completely functional, lol.

AZ Member #

Is that the one I sent ya? Shit, feel bad.

Send me pics of the circuit board or post up here. That one appeared to never have any previous water damage but Iím starting to wonder if that is the culprit.
    Xlite w/ 11spd Campy Record- 2005 Dolphin Grey Ultrasport Avant 6MT-- 2001.5 Light Silver Metallic Avant 5MT w/ Sludge Package --1979 Scout II

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by V70R View Post
    Is that the one I sent ya? Shit, feel bad.

Send me pics of the circuit board or post up here. That one appeared to never have any previous water damage but Iím starting to wonder if that is the culprit.
    Yeah, it is. No worries though. Itís always a crapshoot with used parts. Iíll snap some pics. I didnít see any water damage either when I opened it up after receiving it.

AZ Member #

Well, another is on the way.

Thatís how we roll.
    Xlite w/ 11spd Campy Record- 2005 Dolphin Grey Ultrasport Avant 6MT-- 2001.5 Light Silver Metallic Avant 5MT w/ Sludge Package --1979 Scout II

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by V70R View Post
    Well, another is on the way.

Thatís how we roll.
    You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by fR3ZNO View Post
    Finally got around to attempting the MacGuyver paper-clip back probe technique and the results left me scratching my head.

Had my laptop reading MB 001 and 002 for the CLM. Was mostly looking at field for "rotary switch position" to verify that I was jumping the correct wires to ground for the switch. Referring to the schematics posted earlier, A10 (RED/BRN) and C9 (GRY/WHT) on the CLM are the wires for the door lock microswitch. I used one of the mounting studs for the taillight as a convenient ground for the jumper.

I was able to get the pump to lock the doors by grounding pin A10. This was also verified by the bit changing in measuring blocks. However, I was unable to get the doors to unlock by grounding C9 or even get the bit to change showing that it was registering the ground. I could lock the doors with the key in the driver door lock but can not unlock (bits show locking signal from switch but not the unlock signal).

For shits and giggles, I was able to unlock the doors using the trunk lock alarm switch (grounding A5). But when I grounded A6, it didn't do anything nor did the corresponding bit change in MB. Not sure if that's normal operation, but figured I'd mention it. *shrug*

Now this is where it gets interesting...

The above was done with my original pump that was flooded and I attempted to clean and dry out as best as I could. So I swapped in the spare junkyard CLM that I had. It was not verified as working but there was no apparent water damage to the board when I popped it open.

With the spare CLM installed, I was only able to UNLOCK the doors by grounding pin C9. Grounding pin A10 did nothing, and measuring blocks verified this as well. I had the same behavior using the key in the door. Only could unlock doors, but couldn't lock them.

So based on these findings... I'm thinking the microswitch in the door is fine since it shows the appropriate signals for lock and unlock, but only with a certain CLM installed. So perhaps the spare CLM I have is also damaged? Looks like I need to get a tested, working CLM. Unless someone has a spare that they know for sure is good.
    Nice MacGuyver-ing. And with live datastream readout, even! I award a solid 3.5 Internets.
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, R8 coil packs, Labree HFC & DP, 2.5" Exhaust, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, A8 Brakes Front & Rear, 18" RS4 Reps
    2006 Passion Red Volvo V50 T5 AWD 6MT
    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380

AZ Member #

Nice MacGuyver-ing. And with live datastream readout, even! I award a solid 3.5 Internets.
    3.5 Internets award by THE walky himself? Jeez, that's resume worthy.

Established Member Four Rings Joe Jr.'s Avatar
    AZ Member #

Dave is moving up the totem pole?
    2001 A4 1.8TQM
    2002 VW TDI 5spd

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jr. View Post
    Dave is moving up the totem pole?
    Guess so! lol

AZ Member #

Just wanted to follow this up with the solution to this issue. Big surprise, the replacement CLM was bad. Reno sent me the board out of one his CLMís and I soldered it in, since the other components werenít damaged by the water. Was able to clear the memory and program my fob, didnít even need to do any MacGyver paper clip maneuvers.

Last edited by fR3ZNO; 02-11-2019 at 06:19 AM.

AZ Member #

When in doubt, doubt unknown parts!

Like my dealer ordered brand new driver's door latch, which broke within 3 days >. >

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Audizine mobile app

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS
    APR 91|Forge|APR Catback|034 HFC|Valeo SMF|Bilstein B8|Eibach|Neuspeed RSB|ECS N75|AP Racing BBK|034 Snub|OEM Strut Bar|FL Ebay SS|JHM Shift|2.0T Coils|Boost Factory SMIC
    BBS|Podi|AEM|DDM|OEM RS4 Grille|Euro Stuff|Facelift stuff|Sport Cloths|Aero Wipers

AZ Member #

Like my dealer ordered brand new driver's door latch, which broke within 3 days >. >

ďThis brand new latch canít be broken!Ē *goes insane troubleshooting other parts*

Established Member Three Rings Blazius's Avatar
    AZ Member #

it brooke brother
    2000 B5 A4 Avant FWD Manual - S Line - Sport package

N/A ARG bottom end, AEB Head & other stuff | t3/t4 turbo conversion IN Progress - https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...rbo-Conversion

AZ Member #

ďThis brand new latch canít be broken!Ē *goes insane troubleshooting other parts*
    Exactly lol.

The replacement one came in a much newer box too lmao.

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Blazius View Post
    it brooke brother

Exactly lol.

The replacement one came in a much newer box too lmao.

Lol, what part broke(just curious)? The microswitch?

AZ Member #

lol fuck did i just watcg

N/A ARG bottom end, AEB Head & other stuff | t3/t4 turbo conversion IN Progress - https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...rbo-Conversion

AZ Member #

Lol no, much more dramatic. The door stopped opening from the inside, was back to square 1 as that's how my original latch failed

It completely failed mechanically.

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

AZ Member #

Lol no, much more dramatic. The door stopped opening from the inside, was back to square 1 as that's how my original latch failed

It completely failed mechanically.
    smh american made german cars

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Blazius View Post
    smh american made german cars
    Wat

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

AZ Member #

Wat

bad trolling attempt :D

AZ Member #
    My Garage

FTFY

AZ Member #

FTFY
    Meh, I blame Tapatalk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12