Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Audi S7, 2012 Land Rover LR4 HSE

Bad Experience R8 - Redline Speed Worx Review

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi All,

While I'm not as active on this forum as I am on R8Talk, I'd like to post about a recent experience I had with Redline Speed Worx (RSW) in Green Brook NJ. I don't think I've ever posted a negative review online, but there's a first time for everything.

I had my R8 car in there for a high-pressure A/C switch replacement and subsequently a spark-plug and coil pack change.

Unfortunately, the tech who performed the work broke the cosmetic plastic cover near the rear window that sits underneath the engine bay cover on the spyder. He must have missed the last two two torx bolts and yanked on the plastic. The broken piece was re-used without my knowledge and to make matters worse the torx bolts were severely over-tightened. A few were so tight they needed to be hammered/chiseled off.

While I understand mistakes happen, the response I got from Pat (RSW owner) was that it must have been another shop. This is simply not possible as RSW clearly marked all of the bolts with a paint pen and the damage was discovered shortly afterward when the R8 needed an O2 sensor replacement.

In lieu of an apology (as none was offered), I'd like to make sure that others know what they are getting themselves into. There are many reputable shops in the Tri-State (NY/NJ/CT) area, but Redline Speed Worx is one I would avoid. They charge top dollar for sloppy & mediocre work.

P.S. I'm not interested in an online flame war. Also not looking for compensation, just chalking it up to doing business with the wrong people.
    Attached Images
    2011 Audi R8 Spyder - Ibis, 6MT, HRE P43S, white calipers, gloss black vents/trim/window frame, tints/radar/laser, UGR TT
    2013 Audi S7 - Estoril Blue, RS7 carbon diffuser, skirts, mirrors, tint/radar/laser, Eurocode sways & links, APR Stage 3 (RS7 turbo & intake, APR downpipes & AMS boost cooler), 285/35/20 on 20x10 ET25 ...GONE
    2017 Audi Q7 - Graphite Gray, BOP
    2001 Honda S2000 - Silverstone Metallic

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thanks for sharing. Not the first time I've heard a negative review about rsw.

Site Moderator Four Rings kristokes's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    VW/Audi/Ducati

Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope RSW can chime in with a resolution.
    Stokes - Site Moderator, Audizine

13 Audi S4 | APR Stage 2+ Ultracharger
    14 Lexus CT200h | Batterycharged

PREV: 01 Audi TT 1.8TQM APR Stage 2 | 07 Audi A4 2.0TQM Unitronic Stage 3 | 12 VW Golf R UM Stage 2+
    Other: 08 Yamaha YZF-R6 | 12 Ducati 1199 Panigale S | 14 Ducati Streetfighter 848

Veteran Member Four Rings quattro16's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 B7 A4 Avant

Ughh, yeah that panel should've been hand tightened then torqued like 90% of the bolts/screws on this car....
    BetaAlphaTauMember #17

Audi Master Guild Tech
    Long Island, NY. Pm me any questions.

Veteran Member Four Rings VR6Bomber's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by beast-roast View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Not the first time I've heard a negative review about rsw.
    Unfortunately, I would have to agree that this is not the first time I've heard of RSW breaking something on a vehicle and either 1) completely denying it, and/or 2) charging the customer to fix something that they in fact broke/mangled /ordered the wrong part, and etc.

Senior Member Three Rings Batman0424's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 VW Tiguan SEL Prem

This is unfortunate. Iíve been using RSW for a while now and havenít had any issues, but something like this makes me want to reevaluate my shop of choice.

Does RSW frequent this site? I would be interested in hearing their side of this story.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2018 Audi RS5: AWE Touring, 034 Front Strut, 034 Rear Sway
    2017 VW GTI - retired
    2015 Audi S4 - retired
    2013 Land Rover RRS - retired
    2012 BMW E92 M3 - retired

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I use RSW as well, and this kind of scares me.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Ouch, not much care taken in that job

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I've been using them for years on both of my vehicles- had a couple issues along the way but Pat and Jon always made good on it....

They are far from my house so when things don't go right it's frustrating to have to go back. But I'd rather go there instead of the dealer. Flemington Porsche service is a joke.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Audi A4 Premium Plus

Yep. Not the only one who had a bad experience there. Front bumper does not fit correctly anymore and they are the only ones who worked on the car.

I'm still waiting on a refund check for a that I was told was going to be applied and never was. This is going on about 9 months now with nothing. I hate to say it but I would never do business with them again.

Oh well. Live and learn.
    Current:
    2013 (B8.5) A4 Premium Plus
    Past:
    2001 (B5) A4
    2004 (B6) S4
    2001 (B5) S4
    2007 (B7) A4
    2001 (B5) A4

AZ Member #

I went there when I first moved to NJ and never went back. Go to drive auto works. Itís a little further down but the guys are knowledgeable.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 VW Tiguan SEL Prem

I was hoping they would jump on here and respond to this. Unfortunately, I had a really, really bad experience with Drive. So... looks like Iím going to head to a new shop.

Recently received a recommendation from AWE for RT Tuning. Itís in PA, but close to one of the campuses I go to for work, so Iíll schedule shop time when Iíll be in the area for work.

2017 VW GTI - retired
    2015 Audi S4 - retired

AZ Member #

RSW seems to have a been creating a negative reputation for themselves, most commonly when they make a mistake, which happens, they are not willing to make it right for the customer if it is going to cost them.

I never ever vendor-bash, but if a shop does you wrong, and straight lies to you then sends you on your way..warning others is appropriate.
    I'll save my personal details with them from the public forum, anyone can pm me for info.

For those looking for a shop within the Somerset / Middlesex NJ area, I recently had a positive conversation regarding Dan's Auto repair in Branchburg. Appears to be a indy vw/audi shop
    I have no direct experience with them.
    Last edited by VR6Bomber; 02-11-2019 at 10:20 AM.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Macan Turbo

Island Sports Work has done work on my S6 without any issues. Staff has been great and friendly.
    https://www.islandsportworks.com/

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by GoTImeS4 View Post
    I went there when I first moved to NJ and never went back. Go to drive auto works. Itís a little further down but the guys are knowledgeable.
    Same here. Went to RSW with a 10+ year old Jetta with a hole in the flex pipe attached to the cat. They wanted to put in a new cat rather than welding in a new piece of flex pipe. The repair would have almost been more than the value of the car. In hindsight, it would have been an easy job for a muffler shop but I just wrapped some steel wool, sheet metal, and hose clamps around it and drove the car for another 1-2 years with no issues. Have been taking my Audis to Drive Auto Works for all my services and tuning with no major problem. And if there was a minor thing here or there they took care of it without charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman0424 View Post
    I was hoping they would jump on here and respond to this. Unfortunately, I had a really, really bad experience with Drive. So... looks like Iím going to head to a new shop.
    I have been using Drive Auto for about three years now with no problems. Would you care to elaborate so I can watch out for potential problems?
    2016 Audi S6 Prestige, Daytona Gray Pearl, Comfort Sport Seats in Black, Carbon Atlas Inlay, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package, S6 Sport Package, Black Optic Package, Black Cloth Headliner, XPel Ultimate full front, mirrors, doors, rear wheel impact area, luggage area, fuel door, OptiCoat Pro+

2015 Audi Q7 S line Prestige, Daytona Gray Pearl, S Line Interior Package, 20" S Line Plus Package

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 VW Tiguan SEL Prem

Quote Originally Posted by hmuller View Post
    I have been using Drive Auto for about three years now with no problems. Would you care to elaborate so I can watch out for potential problems?
    They misdiagnosed an issue that would have cost me a lot of money for no reason. Iíll PM you the details.

2017 VW GTI - retired
    2015 Audi S4 - retired

Veteran Member Four Rings vce1232000's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    83 MK1 GTI Callaway Turbo stg II

Quote Originally Posted by Batman0424 View Post
    Unfortunately, I had a really, really bad experience with Drive. So...
    Which location
    APR KO4, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Cntr,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST CO, 034 RSB,034 St Dnsty Mtr Mts, New Sth West Bst guage, B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. RS4 PS rack, RS4 Servotronic Relay,RS4 rims. S4 mirror caps,DTM frt bmpr and rs4 fogs,LED tail lites
    S4 Recaro Front & Rear seats. Led Interior Kit,United LED's fog lites
    2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Tiptronic 6spd

Established Member Two Rings kashanova's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Check out Edge Motors, they offer great service and the Techs know their stuff.

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Hugh@EuropaParts's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by kashanova View Post
    Check out Edge Motors, they offer great service and the Techs know their stuff.
    +1 for Edge.
    Hubert
    EuropaParts.com, Your Trusted Audi Parts Source
    Phone: 800.877.7033 x 101
    Email: hubert@europaparts.com
    Facebook: Like Us on Facebook

AZ Member #

I've had a handful of guys contact me privately regarding BAD experiences with RSW. I will not post other's experiences publicly.
    Last edited by VR6Bomber; 02-19-2019 at 07:19 AM.