Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: 2.5l Swap

Established Member Three Rings ralphie_43's Avatar
    AZ Member #

2.5l Swap

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I want to do a 2.5 i5 swap out of a jetta and put it into a b5 a4. Any tips for this type of swap?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Audizine mobile app

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

100% open disclosure, I have nothing super valuable to add. Other than do it!

I have done several swaps in my day, you will most likely need to swap the wiring harness plug from the ECU to the new ECU and repin it, unless they are using the exact same ECU. Or just swap the wiring harness.

Most sensors run on the same type of circuit. 5 volt reference, hall effect, pulse-width modulated, either way if it is running on the same type of circuit there is a way to figure it out. A map sensor is a map sensor and a mass airflow sensor is a mass air flow sensor.

If the block doesn't come with the same bolt pattern for a motor mount, it is possible you will need to custom Fab something up unless there is an oem equivalent that will work.
    One thing to keep in mind, is the transmission. If you can use the same transmission, you don't need to have axles made. If the motor mount bolt holes are different, you will either have to have special axles made or a custom motor mount made.

Is the fueling the same? Are they both return type systems? It is a very easily addressed problem, but if they are different than that is something you will need to keep in mind.

I hope my post wasn't useless information for you. I love these types of swaps.
    Vinny

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by VinnysS4 View Post
    100% open disclosure, I have nothing super valuable to add. Other than do it!

I have done several swaps in my day, you will most likely need to swap the wiring harness plug from the ECU to the new ECU and repin it, unless they are using the exact same ECU. Or just swap the wiring harness.

Most sensors run on the same type of circuit. 5 volt reference, hall effect, pulse-width modulated, either way if it is running on the same type of circuit there is a way to figure it out. A map sensor is a map sensor and a mass airflow sensor is a mass air flow sensor.

If the block doesn't come with the same bolt pattern for a motor mount, it is possible you will need to custom Fab something up unless there is an oem equivalent that will work.
    One thing to keep in mind, is the transmission. If you can use the same transmission, you don't need to have axles made. If the motor mount bolt holes are different, you will either have to have special axles made or a custom motor mount made.

Is the fueling the same? Are they both return type systems? It is a very easily addressed problem, but if they are different than that is something you will need to keep in mind.

I hope my post wasn't useless information for you. I love these types of swaps.
    Vinny

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the info! I want to maybe go standalone ecu but not sure yet, in the likely case that the trans on the b5 and the motor dont have the same bolt pattern could I use like a spacer it something to mate them? I will probably go with custom motor mounts to keep the axles. I want to turbo the 2.5 end goal is like ~320-400hp. Also want to do flex fuel since I have e85 very close to me. Want to do some sort of an audi 90 IMSA GTO inspired build (one of the best Audi racecars ever imo)audi_imsa_90_quattro.jpeg

Veteran Member Four Rings rockbeau25's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ralphie_43 View Post
    Thanks for the info! I want to maybe go standalone ecu but not sure yet, in the likely case that the trans on the b5 and the motor dont have the same bolt pattern could I use like a spacer it something to mate them? I will probably go with custom motor mounts to keep the axles. I want to turbo the 2.5 end goal is like ~320-400hp. Also want to do flex fuel since I have e85 very close to me. Want to do some sort of an audi 90 IMSA GTO inspired build (one of the best Audi racecars ever imo)audi_imsa_90_quattro.jpeg

Could use a 2.2L turbo AAN if you want to truly be like the 90 IMSA (which is my all time favorite racecar btw)

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by rockbeau25 View Post
    Could use a 2.2L turbo AAN if you want to truly be like the 90 IMSA (which is my all time favorite racecar btw)
    I was thinking that but it'd be harder to find imo 2.5 from a jetta is easier to find

AZ Member #

As far as i know, the 01E gearbox will fit with the 07K Block, you just have to cut a bit to make some space for the cover of the timing chain.

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Bolting it in and wiring it up are the easy parts.

Are you planning on adding a turbo to it? Or just running it in stock NA ~170hp form? That doesn't sound very fun, and adding a turbo to these things gets pretty expensive.
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, R8 coil packs, Labree HFC & DP, 2.5" Exhaust, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, A8 Brakes Front & Rear, 18" RS4 Reps
    2006 Passion Red Volvo V50 T5 AWD 6MT
    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by walky_talky20 View Post
    Bolting it in and wiring it up are the easy parts.

Are you planning on adding a turbo to it? Or just running it in stock NA ~170hp form? That doesn't sound very fun, and adding a turbo to these things gets pretty expensive.
    I do plan to turbo the the motor, I will probably do a custom manifold not sure what turbo to use. My goal is to get like 300-400 hp anywhere in that range so I might have to do some internals work. Only thing i'm not sure of is how much boost the motor can handle

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Airrik View Post
    As far as i know, the 01E gearbox will fit with the 07K Block, you just have to cut a bit to make some space for the cover of the timing chain.
    Im aware of having to trim but i think i qont need to cut alot. ive seen the vr6 swaps have to cut out a bit more

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    girls MK4 1.8t

As far as i know, the only running 07K swap is Alex mirea

lots of people have started 07k swaps, but all seem to fizzle out and end in a part out.

AAN swap will probably be easier and cost less when you're all done, if it ever happens
    Stupid drift A4

R.I.P RWD-converted '99 A4 Avant 1.8T

AZ Member #

I would think it'd be easier to put an older engine of relatively the same era (AAN) into a slightly newer car than it is to put a new engine into an older car. Just my 2 cents

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by rockbeau25 View Post
    I would think it'd be easier to put an older engine of relatively the same era (AAN) into a slightly newer car than it is to put a new engine into an older car. Just my 2 cents
    I would like to but I cant seem to find an AAN for sale besides a short block for more than a complete 2.5 vw

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ralphie_43 View Post
    I would like to but I cant seem to find an AAN for sale besides a short block for more than a complete 2.5 vw

Buy a rough UR S4/6 and part out the rest
    "The b5 a4 forum is in desperate need of moderation."
    - RENOxDECEPTION

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Alex Mirea is romanian btw, you find the build etc. on his FB page (afaik)

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Blazius View Post
    Alex Mirea is romanian btw, you find the build etc. on his FB page (afaik)
    I'll definitely look at it I'm doing a vw 2.5 swap tho since he has the ttrs tfsi

Last edited by ralphie_43; 11-14-2018 at 10:55 PM.