Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Subaru Legacy GT

Opinions Needed! Just purchased first Audi - not sure what mods should happen first

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Iím the proud new owner of my first Audi, a 15í Daytona Gray S4 6MT premium plus with black optics and sports diff. Only has 20k miles, and Iím ready to start the mods! Iím looking for opinions on what should come first. Below is the list Iíve started, if you have things I should add, take off, or replace, let me know!

Dual pulleys from APR
    P3 multi gauge
    Merc heat exchanger & large reservoir for divorce
    AWE Touring Exhaust
    EuroCode short throw shifter
    USP Stainless clutch line
    034 Transmission mount insert & rear subframe mount insert
    034 Adjustable rear sway bar
    BFI heavy weight shift knob

Iím still not sure which tune I want to go with, and whether to go with springs or coilovers. Also plan to do a new clutch and lightweight flywheel when the stock one starts slipping from the stage 2+. Iím mainly going to use the car as a daily driver, I only drive about 5 miles to work but need to keep it professional if Iím driving clients. I plan to track it as well, hence the need for everything above. Curious if there are better options or reasons I should go a different direction. I get the car next week, and donít really want to waste much time before getting stuff done.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Senior Member Three Rings seandon_792's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Iíd definitely add a cr-15 to that list, big difference for not little money. Also an intake or stock air box mod might be right up your alley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Congrats on your 6MT! I picked up my 2015 6MT 2 weeks ago. Enjoy it.
    2015 S4 6MT

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 S4 2006 Passat Wagon 00 B5 S4 POS Honda

If you going stage 2 you will need a clutch very soon. They don't last with stage 2.

Veteran Member Four Rings jimrobbington's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Forester XT, lawn mower

I would suggest you think long and hard about going with APR. Much better, more supportive tuners at this point in the game...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    2012 Audi S4 Prestige 6 speed, 034 Stage 2, 034 SC pulley, JHM 179mm Crank, USP Intake, custom x-pipe exhaust, 034 Trans Mount Insert, 034 Front/Rear Diff Mount Inserts, JHM Stage 3 clutch, JHM LWFW, USP SS clutch line, 034 boost tap, Podi boost gauge

Established Member Three Rings Morritse's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 2 b8 a5 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by jimrobbington View Post
    I would suggest you think long and hard about going with APR. Much better, more supportive tuners at this point in the game...

+1
    Dual pulley e85 w/ TCU tune (EPL)
    Full custom exhaust (Catless)
    Jokerz ported blower
    Brembo BBK
    APR CPS cooling system
    USP intake
    034 front and rear sway bars Transmission inserts, cr 15 bar strut brace, density control arms
    Koni sport shocks with Eibach lowering springs
    VMR v804 Wrapped in PSS (255/19/35)

Senior Member Three Rings AFR1485's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Fiat 500

I would add the Macan 4-piston brake caliper. It bolts on to the stock rotor and looks great. Enjoy the 6MT!

Save for a new clutch for when you go stage 2. The oem clutch will slip with a stage 1 tune.

IMG_2618.JPG

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Subaru Legacy GT

Quote Originally Posted by AFR1485 View Post
    I would add the Macan 4-piston brake caliper. It bolts on to the stock rotor and looks great. Enjoy the 6MT!

Save for a new clutch for when you go stage 2. The oem clutch will slip with a stage 1 tune.

IMG_2618.JPG
    Big improvement over stock? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jimrobbington View Post

Iíve been looking into a few other places - not the first time Iíve heard that. I like APR for the pulleys because of the ratio and for both of them and the belt Iím only looking at $550. What did you go with?

Quote Originally Posted by chaos2984 View Post
    If you going stage 2 you will need a clutch very soon. They don't last with stage 2.
    Any idea how long I could expect it to last? I was hoping I could get at least a year out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jungy4 View Post
    Congrats on your 6MT! I picked up my 2015 6MT 2 weeks ago. Enjoy it.
    Thanks, same to you!

Quote Originally Posted by seandon_792 View Post
    Iíd definitely add a cr-15 to that list, big difference for not little money. Also an intake or stock air box mod might be right up your alley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good call. Added to the list.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 2 b8 a5 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Youngd425 View Post

Iíve been looking into a few other places - not the first time Iíve heard that. I like APR for the pulleys because of the ratio and for both of them and the belt Iím only looking at $550. What did you go with?
    Well. First of all, you can get your pulleys from anywhere you want and use them with any tuner. You can use APR pulleys with EPL, or CTS pulleys with APR. Doesn't matter.

Secondly, sure they might be $550. But installing a SC pulley is a PITA, and the APR crank pulley requires service position to install. You're looking at 3 hours of labor to get those 2 installed.

Just get the XLR8 196.5mm crank or KI 200mm crank if you're going right to dual pulley. They're $350/$400 respectively I believe, and you don't need to touch the SC pulley.
    Jokerz ported blower
    Brembo BBK
    APR CPS cooling system
    USP intake
    034 front and rear sway bars Transmission inserts, cr 15 bar strut brace, density control arms

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 S4 2006 Passat Wagon 00 B5 S4 POS Honda

I have EPL stage 2 and am very happy. And right now they have an awesome discount running.

As far as the clutch lasting. Its all different to the person, it depends on if you can stay out of it. But Ive seen lots of posts with the title "another smoked clutch with stage 1 or 2"
    This is why i went DSG. I didn't want to have to spend 2k plus for a clutch on top of stage 2. I just spent 400 on the DSG tune instead. And with the 8.5's DSG being a lot better. Don't get my wrong i like manual's My B5 S4 i had as DD was a manual I just lost that car due to an accident. Its hard to stay out of it because its fun lol. But if you want to go stage 2 at all, I would do the clutch first so you don't have any issues.

Veteran Member Four Rings jimrobbington's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Forester XT, lawn mower

I have an 034 57.7mm SC Pulley, a JHM 179mm crank pulley, and 034 dual pulley software.

2012 Audi S4 Prestige 6 speed, 034 Stage 2, 034 SC pulley, JHM 179mm Crank, USP Intake, custom x-pipe exhaust, 034 Trans Mount Insert, 034 Front/Rear Diff Mount Inserts, JHM Stage 3 clutch, JHM LWFW, USP SS clutch line, 034 boost tap, Podi boost gauge

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Subaru Legacy GT

Quote Originally Posted by Morritse View Post
    Well. First of all, you can get your pulleys from anywhere you want and use them with any tuner. You can use APR pulleys with EPL, or CTS pulleys with APR. Doesn't matter.

Secondly, sure they might be $550. But installing a SC pulley is a PITA, and the APR crank pulley requires service position to install. You're looking at 3 hours of labor to get those 2 installed.

Just get the XLR8 196.5mm crank or KI 200mm crank if you're going right to dual pulley. They're $350/$400 respectively I believe, and you don't need to touch the SC pulley.
    Would I run into any issues I wouldnít otherwise by going with a larger crank and keeping the stock SC pulley? I definitely like this idea better than having to do both.

Quote Originally Posted by chaos2984 View Post
    I have EPL stage 2 and am very happy. And right now they have an awesome discount running.

As far as the clutch lasting. Its all different to the person, it depends on if you can stay out of it. But Ive seen lots of posts with the title "another smoked clutch with stage 1 or 2"
    This is why i went DSG. I didn't want to have to spend 2k plus for a clutch on top of stage 2. I just spent 400 on the DSG tune instead. And with the 8.5's DSG being a lot better. Don't get my wrong i like manual's My B5 S4 i had as DD was a manual I just lost that car due to an accident. Its hard to stay out of it because its fun lol. But if you want to go stage 2 at all, I would do the clutch first so you don't have any issues.
    Iím seriously considering EPL with the discount they have now. One question on the clutch, JHM is having a great deal going on right now too, anyone running one of their clutch & LWFW packages? I want it to last but also be a good daily driver.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 2 b8 a5 (sold)

Would I run into any issues I wouldnít otherwise by going with a larger crank and keeping the stock SC pulley? I definitely like this idea better than having to do both.

Nope. It achieves exactly the same thing as changing both. Neither of those pulleys interact with any others on the car so it's literally just the ratio between them that affects anything
    Jokerz ported blower
    Brembo BBK
    APR CPS cooling system
    USP intake

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Hey bud, I was in the same boat a bit more than a year ago. My car is a bit different (DSG) but I'd still suggest you start with the exhaust. It should be your first mod (however, you can do other not power related mods like brakes, cr-15, sway bars, mounts etc.).
    Believe me, it is so awesome to switch from OEM to like AWE Touring with non-resp DPs (and you won't have drone cuz of manual) and then keep noticing differences in the exhaust notes along with improving car's power output (just even basic stage 1 ECU+TCU reflash).
    You may also consider going catless replacing headers and cats altogether, but I haven't done it yet. But that's gonna be full exhaust mod. Ofc you can keep customizing and playing with it (manual gearbox gives you more non-drony options) like going inserting X-pipe, or Magnaflow res or AWE Track or just straight pipes.

Well, you might probably improve your intake first by modifying your stock airbox + replacing the intake hose (like with 034 silicone inlet hose) + aFe air filter. Otherwise, you'll barely hear a difference (increased SC whine at higher RPMs) if you do the exhaust first :)

Btw, initially I was looking at a Roc-Euro intake, then at IE but after I realized that keeping IAT even a few degrees lower is more beneficial than having sporty looking "cold air" intake which soaking more hot air from the engine bay than stock airbox. I also was told that the fastest S4s on the forum are running on the modified stock airboxes :)

Good luck!
    2014 S4 B8.5 Prestige | EPL Stage 1 + DSG | AWE Touring + Non-Res DPs | F&R Eurocode Sway Bars + Moog endlinks | Alu Kreuz | Eurocode Trans & Diff Mounts | Black Optics | Costco 91 gas | Front plate off