Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member Two Rings hellovaras's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Ecu flashes, does it matter which company?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Noticed several companies offer an ECU flash. Does it matter which one? Any recommendations?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings jimrobbington's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Forester XT, lawn mower

There's 100 threads like this. Do a little research, look at some dyno sheets.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    2012 Audi S4 Prestige 6 speed, 034 Stage 2, 034 SC pulley, JHM 179mm Crank, USP Intake, custom x-pipe exhaust, 034 Trans Mount Insert, 034 Front/Rear Diff Mount Inserts, JHM Stage 3 clutch, JHM LWFW, USP SS clutch line, 034 boost tap, Podi boost gauge

Veteran Member Four Rings theweebabyseamus's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Do some research.

Established Member Two Rings JACKAL's Avatar
    AZ Member #

And when researching, really think about your ultimate goal. Some companies only offer support up to a certain level. If you plan to really get extreme, vary fuel, use a different throttle body, etc. make sure you factor that into your decision. Another consideration point is the ability to flash a tune from your home versus needing to go to a dealer.
    2010 Sprint Blue S4 / United Motorsports Stage 2 Dual Pulley | Tampa Autosports Ported Blower | 6MT | B&O Stereo| CTS Turbo Non-Resonated Downpipes | CTS Turbo Intake | R8 Coil Packs | Blackout Headlights | R1 Concepts Drilled & Slotted Front Rotors | Eurocode Short Shifter

AZ Member #

Thanks. I really appreciate your input.
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKAL View Post
    And when researching, really think about your ultimate goal. Some companies only offer support up to a certain level. If you plan to really get extreme, vary fuel, use a different throttle body, etc. make sure you factor that into your decision. Another consideration point is the ability to flash a tune from your home versus needing to go to a dealer.

Established Member Two Rings JACKAL's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by hellovaras View Post
    Thanks. I really appreciate your input.

Absolutely. As others have noted there is a lot of information already out there but you can make the best decision when you have a future state in mind for your car.

I’ve lost some money along the way because I ultimately had more aggressive power goals (dual pulley, ported blower, larger throttle body) than what my original tune supported and I failed to research them fully. If you can identify an end goal for your car then selecting a tuner will be that much easier.

Best of luck!
    2010 Sprint Blue S4 / United Motorsports Stage 2 Dual Pulley | Tampa Autosports Ported Blower | 6MT | B&O Stereo| CTS Turbo Non-Resonated Downpipes | CTS Turbo Intake | R8 Coil Packs | Blackout Headlights | R1 Concepts Drilled & Slotted Front Rotors | Eurocode Short Shifter

Veteran Member Three Rings Joker S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You noticed that, huh? Interesting.

But all jokes aside, think long term when it comes to tunes. There are quite a few out there, some better than others. But the main factor for me was availability. APR is the closest dealer in this location and the most convenient. I don't track the car, just spirited driving. So, figure out what you want to do, and get to it!
    | 2012 S4 Prestige | TI Black Optics | Monsoon Gray Metallic | Black/Magma | STUFF | TD1

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1984 Audi 4000S Quattro, 1989 Toyota MR2 SC, 1960 Alfa Spider

there is also a trade off between just making as much extra power as possible, and day to day smoothness and driveability, and long term reliability. the higher the level of tune,. the more you can lose on the last two. ask questions to the tuners.
    I have run EPL stage 1 for nearly 3 years without a single cel or hiccup, and the car is smoother than stock with their DSG upgrade flash. those were my requirements for a tune, and that is why i went that way.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Tunes are absolutely different, especially in higher gears.

AZ Member #

Thanks. I am really just interested in stage 1. I can't see myself beyond that because, as of right now, I don't see myself going to the track.

Veteran Member Four Rings jimrobbington's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Forester XT, lawn mower

Quote Originally Posted by hellovaras View Post
    Thanks. I am really just interested in stage 1. I can't see myself beyond that because, as of right now, I don't see myself going to the track.

You don't need the track to go stage 2 or further lol. Trust me, you go stage 1, you'll eventually want more. If I were you just coming into this game now, I'd go with either 034, EPL, or IE. All offer flash from home, and all are still updating files and working to support new hardware.

2012 Audi S4 Prestige 6 speed, 034 Stage 2, 034 SC pulley, JHM 179mm Crank, USP Intake, custom x-pipe exhaust, 034 Trans Mount Insert, 034 Front/Rear Diff Mount Inserts, JHM Stage 3 clutch, JHM LWFW, USP SS clutch line, 034 boost tap, Podi boost gauge

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jimrobbington View Post
    You don't need the track to go stage 2 or further lol. Trust me, you go stage 1, you'll eventually want more. If I were you just coming into this game now, I'd go with either 034, EPL, or IE. All offer flash from home, and all are still updating files and working to support new hardware.

LOL EPL, good joke. IE seems promising, idk if 034 is investing much into the platform. APR is proven.

AZ Member #

Thanks for the reply. Any issues with MPG? Will be happy with just stage 1, no more.
    Quote Originally Posted by onlyaudis View Post
    there is also a trade off between just making as much extra power as possible, and day to day smoothness and driveability, and long term reliability. the higher the level of tune,. the more you can lose on the last two. ask questions to the tuners.
    I have run EPL stage 1 for nearly 3 years without a single cel or hiccup, and the car is smoother than stock with their DSG upgrade flash. those were my requirements for a tune, and that is why i went that way.

Established Member Three Rings Morritse's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 2 b8 a5 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RReddington View Post
    LOL EPL, good joke. IE seems promising, idk if 034 is investing much into the platform. APR is proven.
    Someone paying you to trash EPL? I've owned APR, 034, and EPL. How about you?
    Dual pulley e85 w/ TCU tune (EPL)
    Full custom exhaust (Catless)
    Jokerz ported blower
    Brembo BBK
    APR CPS cooling system
    USP intake
    034 front and rear sway bars Transmission inserts, cr 15 bar strut brace, density control arms
    Koni sport shocks with Eibach lowering springs
    VMR v804 Wrapped in PSS (255/19/35)

Senior Member Three Rings mikedizzzo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

GIAC has home flashing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    -MikeDizzzo

2016 S5 Premium Plus | Florett Silver | Black Optic Plus Package | DSG | ADS | Carbon Atlas | B&O

Mods: GIAC Stage 2 | TCU | SC Pulley | AWE Touring Exhaust 90mm | CTS Intake | OEM RS5 Grill | Poor man's Ecodes | Maxton V1 Front Lip | Brakes - Hawks Pro with slotted/dimpled rotors | Ceramic Pro 9H | LED interior | LED HCX 3000k Fog lights | 2 x Audizine 5' stickers | Audi All Weather S5 floor mats

Established Member Two Rings SVG's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    68’ Ca Spcl, 96’ CTD, 05’ LJ Rubicon (sold), 06’ Victory JP, 14’ S4, 17’ Rav4 Hybrid

EPL has treated me well. Anyone trashing them must have an agenda.
    2014 Estoril Blue S4

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MKIII Jetta,Integra GSR built B18C1T, Mazda RX8

I have had Eurodyne on my MK7 GTI and the S4, and have been very happy for several years of use. The cost is among the lowest, and you can go as low as Stage 1 91 Octain up to Stage 2 93 Octain 2 Dual Pulley if you ever want to. They also offer DSG tuning.
    Florett Silver Metallic, Black Optic, Sport Diff, B8.5 S4

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Morritse View Post
    Someone paying you to trash EPL? I've owned APR, 034, and EPL. How about you?
    I've owned APR and EPL. I also have friends that have EPL, APR, IE, Unitronic and Eurodyne. We've ran stage 1 with stage 1 and stage 2 (single pulley) with stage 2 (single pulley). EPL has always lost to APR, especially top end.

Good joke though lol.

Established Member Three Rings Morritse's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 2 b8 a5 (sold)

I've owned APR and EPL. I also have friends that have EPL, APR, IE, Unitronic and Eurodyne. We've ran stage 1 with stage 1 and stage 2 (single pulley) with stage 2 (single pulley). EPL has always lost to APR, especially top end.

Good joke though lol.

Comparing tunes with 2 different setups is a good joke. I have Dyno numbers from APRs 104 tune and EPL e85 tune both on my car.
    Dual pulley e85 w/ TCU tune (EPL)
    Full custom exhaust (Catless)
    Jokerz ported blower
    Brembo BBK
    APR CPS cooling system
    USP intake
    034 front and rear sway bars Transmission inserts, cr 15 bar strut brace, density control arms
    Koni sport shocks with Eibach lowering springs
    VMR v804 Wrapped in PSS (255/19/35)

Senior Member Four Rings 14S4GWM's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You come out of the dark with 7 total posts and bash, speed on
    2014 S4 P+ Glacier White DSG/ EPL Stage 2 ECU/ TCU
    Black Optic/ B&O/ Sports Diff/ Carbon Atlas/ V1/ P3/ Carista/ ECS CF Intake/ ECS CF Diffuser
    Bilstein B8/ H&R OE Springs/ H&R 10-12mm Spacers/ Eurocode Sways
    C-Quartz/ Suntek PPF/ AWE Touring 102/ 034 X-Brace & Inserts/ / Akebono Pads/ CR-15/ VLED VX3 LED Fogs

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Morritse View Post
    Comparing tunes with 2 different setups is a good joke. I have Dyno numbers from APRs 104 tune and EPL e85 tune both on my car.
    Are you blind? I said we ran stage 1 EPL (93) VS stage 1 APR (93). And Stage 2 single pulley ported charger (EPL) vs Stage 2 single pulley ported charger (APR). APR won every single time.
    Have also run against the other tunes, Eurodyne, Unitronic etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 14S4GWM View Post
    You come out of the dark with 7 total posts and bash, speed on
    Yes a member with "three rings" has 7 total posts. God you're stupid.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '14 Audi S5, '18 BMW 540i, '17 Jetta SE

closed, seriously guys, get it together...
    -Loe P.-
    Audizine Forum Moderator

('14 Audi S5 S-tronic )
    [10.930@127.38mph | +1209 ft. D/A | 3.371 PR]