Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Considering Higher Milage B8 S4...should I?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey All,

I have already done quite a bit of research on the forums so I have an idea of what to expect, but am hoping to confirm some things and fill in some blanks.

1. For DSG, are there any tell tale signs of a problem that I can pick up on during a test drive? I'm looking at a 2011 s-tronic
    2. Anything I should check on besides the regular oil and coil pack/spark plugs?
    3. Car has about 90k miles -- anything else that I should ask specifically at that milage that you may not otherwise?
    4. Does anything jump out about this car when you look at it as far as specs? Can you tell what trim level it is?

2848183.jpg

I currently own a Stage 1+ B7 A4 so I'm familiar with the commitment of being an Audi owner (and I'll actually likely hold on to the A4 for a while as my wife is learning to drive on it).

I like to buy used cars as my second/fun car and swap them out after a couple of years (unless they are so awesome I can't). So ownership timeline will probably be 2 years or so.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I wouldn't consider it unless it has a full service history. I'd want to know that the DSG service was done at 35k and 75k miles.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by hilmar2k View Post
    I wouldn't consider it unless it has a full service history. I'd want to know that the DSG service was done at 35k and 75k miles.
    Thanks, after some reading it does seem like that is likely make or break for these cars. I got caught with my a4 and didn't ask for records...it runs nice now but only after a shit load of work and time....don't want to go through that again.

Established Member Three Rings Morritse's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 2 b8 a5 (sold)

Didn't they switch from the old to new DSG model some time in the 2011 models? I would see if it has the newer or older one. Personally, I bought mine with 86k miles and have had 0 problems with the transmission. It was very well taken care of though.
    Dual pulley e85 w/ TCU tune (EPL)
    Full custom exhaust (Catless)
    Jokerz ported blower
    Brembo BBK
    APR CPS cooling system
    USP intake
    034 front and rear sway bars Transmission inserts, cr 15 bar strut brace, density control arms
    Koni sport shocks with Eibach lowering springs
    VMR v804 Wrapped in PSS (255/19/35)

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Morritse View Post
    Didn't they switch from the old to new DSG model some time in the 2011 models? I would see if it has the newer or older one. Personally, I bought mine with 86k miles and have had 0 problems with the transmission. It was very well taken care of though.
    How can I tell which DSG model I have? Is there a way to tell via the VIN?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 419kla View Post
    How can I tell which DSG model I have? Is there a way to tell via the VIN?
    You need to scan the car with VagCom, Carista, etc. There are three different DSG version, 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0. The 1.0 is the one with the real issues, with the 1.5 and the 2.0 being progressively better.

AZ Member #

I saw higher mileage I was expecting well over 100k miles
    How much they selling for?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

It's Canadian dollars, but about 19k CAD -- also, I would consider it high mileage comparatively as my b7 a4 has 75k miles

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

At that mileage you should plan on doing thermostat, pcv, plugs, fluids, and belts. You probably are also approaching valve covers at that age and in my case vacuum pump gasket and oil pan. Suspension is probably approaching the need for a refresh as well. If you're a DIYer then great.
    2013 Ibis White S4 Prestige DSG - APR Stage 2
    2013 Glacier White Q5 3.0T Prestige - Eurodyne Stage 1
    2011 Sprint Blue S5 Prestige - DSG - Sports Diff - Project

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by rj124104 View Post
    At that mileage you should plan on doing thermostat, pcv, plugs, fluids, and belts. You probably are also approaching valve covers at that age and in my case vacuum pump gasket and oil pan. Suspension is probably approaching the need for a refresh as well. If you're a DIYer then great.
    I am (to a point), but that seems like quite a bit more work than I'd like.....my A4 needed alot of work as well -- not the exact same, but close and it's been lots of blood, sweat, tears, and $. The reason I'd buy this is to avoid that. Seems to be that if they can't provide me with a service history I should just walk away.

Quick question though, are all of those things going to cause catastrophic failure? Things like plugs and coils can be repaired when they fail but belts, thermostat not so much. What would you consider most important as far as engine failure or worse.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

It’s all about the tranny. Wouldn’t worry about the engine as much :)