Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Three Rings Ford Prefect's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Silver S4, Mercedes Benz R350 ('07 & '11), Suzuki SV1000

Oil Leak below vacuum pump - missing bolt

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Just did PCv, water pump, tstat and needed to remove the vacuum pump. Iím now missing a bolt or set screw. Looks like a plug that leads directly into the head. Massive oil spewage when I started it

I do not recall removing anything from this area under the vacuum pump although the hole is right next to the bottom pump torx bolt. Appears to be a massive M10 thread.

Help is appreciated!!

IMG_1624.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Last edited by Ford Prefect; 11-10-2018 at 07:27 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Does anyone know what kind of M10 should be there? Doesnít look like itís a flanged bolt since itís dirty. Maybe a set a screw?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Vacuum Pump Warning!!!

For anyone needing to remove the vacuum pump in order to replace the big three, T-stat, water pump, and PCV, be warned here and now:

The ďboltĒ I have circled above is a set screw. It looks like a drain plug for the head as it is plugging a hole that, if left uncovered, will shoot oil about 5 feet from the front of the block if the left hand fan and radiator werenít there to stop it.

Itís an M10 fine pitch (maybe 1.0?) thread with a 6 or 8mm Allen head. Here is the warning:

There are only three (3) T30 torx bolts holding the vacuum pump on. The allen drain plug thing sits just below and to the right ( as your facing the engine) of the out of sight, bottom most torx. And the T30 WILL ABSOLUTELY fit into the Allen bolt. So if you arenít paying attention and remove loosen the torx without ensuring thatís what youíre actually loosening, you can back this set screw out and it will fall onto the alternator and not be seen from above and youíll be lucky to see it from below.

Here is a pic of the MFíin set screw. Itís only about 20mm long too.

Attached Images