Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Radio questions aftermarket

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello all i recently switched head units in my car from a single to a double din unit, changed entire center console too, when i hooked up the radio following the wiring guide and using a harness for the audi i ended up with a loud buzzing when the amp comes on, im just using the stock bose amp on a 99, it worked fine with the stock head unit but when i plug the speakers in and have the head unit volume down the buzz is constant and really annoying, i tried everything from grounding the head unit to running cables from the battery to re-ground the amp, nothing worked. When the car is on i habe tons of alternator whine as well what can i do....

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Any help is appreciated

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I changed from single din to double din and changed the entire centre console too and I remember at one stage I had a whirring sound when I plugged in an iPod I think. I don't remember ever being able to resolve it, I just naturally stopped using my ipod and started using my phone to plug into the head unit instead, but I do remember at auto car / car audio shops, you could buy this unit which was supposed to filter out the whirring sound. It was basically just an audio noise filter which from memory sat between the + power input of the head unit.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I believe what you are referring to is a ferrite ring, sadly i have given that a go aswell, they didnt do anything :\

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Yeah I'm not sure what you can do. It is an annoying problem but. I know some cars are more prone to alternator whine than others, I've driven some where you can really hear the alternator whining as you accelerate.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

thats how this car is, when you touch the throttle at all you can hear the sound frequency go up lol its really annoying, maybe something somewheres grounding out :\ or maybe the stock radio has a filter of some sort to keep you from using the stock Bose amp... idk im clueless lol

Senior Member Two Rings Cybersombosis's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Try a ground loop isolator. I used to use one in the old days for alternator whine.

Doug
    2001.5 Audi A4 1.8TQMS - Brilliant Black on Black Onyx Sport Cloth
    Motoza Hybrid K04 Tune, Frankenturbo F4-H Kit, Bosch EV14 550cc injectors, APR R1 Diverter Valve, Snow Performance Stage 3 Water/Meth Injection Dual Nozzle Setup, Majestic FMIC kit, Podi Boost Gauge in center vent pod, ATP Test Pipe, K&N air filter, HID fog upgrade, eBay short shifter, Center LCD retrofit, Aero wiper kit.

Established Member Two Rings ChanceA4Parks's Avatar
    AZ Member #

A ground loop isolator is a band aid but will help if you are using the rca outputs from the radio to the bose amp. You will also lose some of your frequency range if your using a ground loop isolator. What kind of radio is it and how is the factory amp getting the signal from the radio. Is it rca or speaker wire connections?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #

If using the rca outputs from the radio, you most likely have a blown output stage in the radio itself. When there isn't sufficient ground, the amp will pull ground from anywhere it can. This happens to be your rca cable and when this happens, it will toast the outputs of the radio. You can try to ground the outside rca shield to ground and see if that helps. You will most likely have to have the radio repaired or replaced if this is the case. It will be the case if you have a cheaper radio (Dual, Jenson, Power Acoustic, and then worse offender of all......Pioneer). Don't ever buy a Pioneer if your planning on using the low level rca outputs. They are trash. Kenwood Excelon and Alpine have the cleanest output stage on the market at the moment.

AZ Member #

A way to test the RCA outputs is to turn everything off and disconnect the negative of the battery. With the radio out of the dash, but still connected, remove the rca pairs from the radio and connect the fronts (put tape on rear rca set) to a rca to 3.5mm cable and plug your phone (turn volum all the way down) into the the 3.5mm side. Reconnect the battery, turn the vehicle on but not cranked, play music from the phone and turn up volume until music is heard, check for noise, if no noise, crank vehicle and check for noise again. Check the rear the same way to be safe. If you dont have noise but have music from your phone, you have a bad radio. Unplug all RCAs and tape up separately. Perform the same test again. If the noise is still there, then you need to start checking for lose wiring or missing ground in anything you have touched during anything you have done between it working without noise and when the problem occurred.