Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Weird Electrical Problem

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So first I noticed that my aftermarket sunroof stopped working. Turn the engine on (instead of just being on ignition) and it started working again.

While driving, turned my headlights on (after being in the parking light position), and everything worked but my stereo turned on and off.

Then I noticed the battery voltage gauge moving slightly and waving up and down instead of sitting constant how it normally does.

Then I turned the interior light on and it was working but flickering (which was coinciding with the battery voltage gauge moving up and down).

Then when I turned the car off, the sunroof didn't close (as it normally did when I would turn the car off).

Other than that, everything electrical seems to be working. Any ideas?

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Perhaps a faulty chassis ground connection (cable from battery negative that bolts to the frame). Could also be a faulty battery. But first thing will be to check and clean all battery connections and inspect the cables. Next would be to load test the battery and charging system with the appropriate tool for that purpose. One example of such a tool is a Sun "VAT-40" or "VAT-60". Some of the auto parts stores do have this type of machine and will do the test for free, although their knowledge on how to use the machine and how exactly to interpret the results can be hit or miss. A skilled technician with such a machine should be able to isolate the problem without issue.
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, R8 coil packs, Labree HFC & DP, 2.5" Exhaust, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, A8 Brakes Front & Rear, 18" RS4 Reps
    2006 Passion Red Volvo V50 T5 AWD 6MT
    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Regarding the battery voltage gauge moving slightly and waving up and down instead of sitting constant how it normally does. Once I cleaned the terminals, this stopped. Thanks for the advice.