Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Temporary Fuel Tank Leak

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    If I don't drive my car for a couple of weeks and start it, there is a significant amount of petrol leaking out of the tank and dripping down onto the ground (creating a puddle). If I drive it around for 10 minutes, it stops. If I drive my car consistently, the leak doesn't occur but let it sit for a couple of weeks and the leak temporarily comes back again.

What could it be?

A cracked hose that is remedying itself? Something to do with air pressure building up in the tank?

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

bump

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99.5 A4 Avant Quattro, 2000 GMC Sonoma

I wouldnít think it should be too hard to find the source of the leak if itís leaving a puddle. Pull the access plate off for the fuel pump and see if itís wet in that area. If not, follow the lines and see if theyíre wet.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by pkfinn View Post
    I wouldnít think it should be too hard to find the source of the leak if itís leaving a puddle. Pull the access plate off for the fuel pump and see if itís wet in that area. If not, follow the lines and see if theyíre wet.
    It's got me puzzled though how it remedies itself, which leads me to believe it's something to do with pressure build up in the tank and it's related release mechanisms.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99.5 A4 Avant Quattro, 2000 GMC Sonoma

Quote Originally Posted by OldAudiA4 View Post
    It's got me puzzled though how it remedies itself, which leads me to believe it's something to do with pressure build up in the tank and it's related release mechanisms.
    Agreed, but knowing where itís leaking from might help figure that out. You could leave the gas cap off while itís parked to prevent any possible pressure build-up and see if that makes a difference.