Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings Planespotting's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000S DS

Rusted resonator

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello. My resonator has rusted and I do not want to give Audi $1400 for another one. For now it has been given a temporary weld repair. What are the alternatives?

A locally respected shop suggested removing the resonator and replacing it with a glasspack, running 2.5 pipe for the rest of it and using Magnaflow mufflers. The word glasspack scares me. Lol. Is this a reasonable suggestion?

What I have: stock K03 and APR stage 2, 034 High Flow Cat, Techtonics Tuning 2.5" flex pipe. Rest is stock.

What I want: A pleasing sound with as little drone as possible.

Ultimate goal: Tune with bigger HPFP, but honestly I like torque more than HP

Thanks!
    2008 Ibis White A4 2.0T (fake) S-Line | Tiptronic (I know...) | Quattro | APR Stage 2

Veteran Member Four Rings canadianA4B7's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts

Have a good exhaust shop complete a system for you. Place a resonator at the bottom of down pipe, then place 2 more after the Y section then throw those magnaflow mufflers on. Most shops have access to magnaflow exhaust design measurements. Using the b7 A4 part number most Iíve been too can make it piece by piece to those specs. All in I have 2.5Ē to dual 2.25Ē done for $600 cdn then mufflers was another $250 or so. Iíd say your getting pretty seriously ripped off spending $1400 to stealership you could order a complete system through one of these retailers here online.

Established Member Two Rings bwdysart's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    e39_528i

I have the magnaflow 16601 exhaust. I like the sound, I donít think it drones at all. Itís not as quiet as stock, but it is one of the quieter aftermarket exhausts I think. Iíve never been annoyed by it even on the highway going 80 around 2.8k rpm. Itís really bassey (if thatís a word? Lol itís a very low frequency sound) at low rpm. I do have the stock cat though so that will change it a bit.

I got mine from here, https://www.hottexhaust.com/Magnaflow_16601
    I forget how much I paid, but the website will instantly offer 25% of magnaflow, and once I was on the checkout screen I messaged their support team and asked for a better deal and they gave me one.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Active Member Two Rings a4b7-sline's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Chevy Trailblazer LS, 2012 Honda crf250r

Quote Originally Posted by Planespotting View Post
    Hello. My resonator has rusted and I do not want to give Audi $1400 for another one. For now it has been given a temporary weld repair. What are the alternatives?

A locally respected shop suggested removing the resonator and replacing it with a glasspack, running 2.5 pipe for the rest of it and using Magnaflow mufflers. The word glasspack scares me. Lol. Is this a reasonable suggestion?

What I have: stock K03 and APR stage 2, 034 High Flow Cat, Techtonics Tuning 2.5" flex pipe. Rest is stock.

What I want: A pleasing sound with as little drone as possible.

Ultimate goal: Tune with bigger HPFP, but honestly I like torque more than HP

Thanks!
    I did a resonator/muffler delete on my stock exhaust for my 2.0tfsi. I love how my car sounds. Itís reasonable quiet/controlled up until 3k, then it opens up, but itís still not obnoxiously loud. Iíve gotten a lot of compliments on the way my car sounds. Cutting the resonator off gives it some nice crackles on decel too. Not the ideal method for a good tone but it works and itís cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2008 Audi A4 Sline 2.0t Quattro 6spd