Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings frankvan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 2.0T; 07 RS4; 04 Touareg; MINI Cooper; VStrom 1000

Question 2008 engine in 2006

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    The cam chain went on my 2006 2.0T and the leak down test is not good.
    I have a line on a low mileage 2008 motor.
    Quick question - ECU and everything is totally compatible between the two years, right?

FvS

Established Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

No, you’ll have some 2006 parts that the ECU will still be looking for. Mainly the intake runner flap motor and the high pressure fuel sensor. Basically anything electronic on the motor that has a VIN split. The high pressure fuel pump lines will be different as well.

If you only use the block and head and move all of your stuff over, you’ll be fine. If you drop a 2008 complete motor in a 2006, you’ll have some hardware/software conflicts to work out.
    2005.5 A4 Avant: JHM K04R, GIAC K04 tune, NGK BKR8EIX plugs, RS4 PRV, RS4 fuel pump controller, Treadstone TR6 intercooler core with JHM pipe kit, CTS Turbo test pipe, ECS Tuning snub mount, 034 street tranny mount, 034 street motor mounts, ECS Tuning turbo inlet pipe, ECS Tuning RA4 clutch conversion, Billy Boat Stealth cat back, Fluidampr

Established Member Two Rings frankvan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 2.0T; 07 RS4; 04 Touareg; MINI Cooper; VStrom 1000

I can move the intake and HPFP over from the old motor - i assume they didn't change the physical design of the head where those bolt on. That should take care of most issues?

Established Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Probably will work. I think your best bet is to research what parts are different from early build cars and late build cars and expect some bumps in the road with the swap. The 2 I mentioned are the ones that stick out the most but there could be more.
    2005.5 A4 Avant: JHM K04R, GIAC K04 tune, NGK BKR8EIX plugs, RS4 PRV, RS4 fuel pump controller, Treadstone TR6 intercooler core with JHM pipe kit, CTS Turbo test pipe, ECS Tuning snub mount, 034 street tranny mount, 034 street motor mounts, ECS Tuning turbo inlet pipe, ECS Tuning RA4 clutch conversion, Billy Boat Stealth cat back, Fluidampr

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Depending on how complete the 2008 engine is other items that differ are the pcv as Evo said the high pressure fuel pump on the 2006 has a banjo fitting the 2008 does not.