Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

questions about my 08 a6 doing timing on it

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys and gals, as of recent my car is around 140k, I have asked around and no one seems to know how to change the timing chain/tensioners/ect on this car, I am wanting to get it done soon since i have several other older audi, including a 1999 a4 2000 a4 and 03 a6, my car is a 3.2 liter s-line "dunno if that matters" but yea, I am just looking for a point in the right direction 3 shops have said its an 18 hour job so i am trying to figure out, Could I do it myself? Is there an FAQ for it? Thanks in advance

-Wooshy

Active Member Two Rings slobdogg's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Wooshy View Post
    Hey guys and gals, as of recent my car is around 140k, I have asked around and no one seems to know how to change the timing chain/tensioners/ect on this car, I am wanting to get it done soon since i have several other older audi, including a 1999 a4 2000 a4 and 03 a6, my car is a 3.2 liter s-line "dunno if that matters" but yea, I am just looking for a point in the right direction 3 shops have said its an 18 hour job so i am trying to figure out, Could I do it myself? Is there an FAQ for it? Thanks in advance

-Wooshy
    https://youtu.be/SU8Hof4RBUE
    2016 S7 Daytona Gray Pearl

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

As i said i have 3 other audi, and have done timing belts/chains on them, they were all on the front of the motor . This one its on the back of the motor, the last timing belt was done at 65k not sure why, i just had the service papers in the box, the car i am working on was totaled at 79k miles, its now my daily and i have had no issues out of it. Reason unknown why it was totaled but i got a rebuilt title put on it as it was a salvage title when i bought it, this car is very dependable Thats why i want to do the maintenance now so i know its done and i can expect the life of the car to be longer aswell.

Established Member Two Rings a1dan_87's Avatar
    AZ Member #

As i said i have 3 other audi, and have done timing belts/chains on them, they were all on the front of the motor . This one its on the back of the motor, the last timing belt was done at 65k not sure why, i just had the service papers in the box, the car i am working on was totaled at 79k miles, its now my daily and i have had no issues out of it. Reason unknown why it was totaled but i got a rebuilt title put on it as it was a salvage title when i bought it, this car is very dependable Thats why i want to do the maintenance now so i know its done and i can expect the life of the car to be longer aswell.
    I think the chain on the back of the engine is going to be a massive pain. I can't say from the top of my head how you've got to get to it or if you've got to lift the engine or anything

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Audizine mobile app

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by a1dan_87 View Post
    I think the chain on the back of the engine is going to be a massive pain. I can't say from the top of my head how you've got to get to it or if you've got to lift the engine or anything

I have a lift, its just a massive head ache in the first place lol

AZ Member #

I have a lift, its just a massive head ache in the first place lol
    I'd agree lol. I've got the infamous rattle-on-startup on my car, and I've been hopefully praying my 3.0t doesn't have any waterpump/thermostat/chain tensioner issues.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I'd agree lol. I've got the infamous rattle-on-startup on my car, and I've been hopefully praying my 3.0t doesn't have any waterpump/thermostat/chain tensioner issues.

I have a 03, 3.0, i have done all of that and then took it to a "and i use this term so lightly its laughable" mechanic, he fubar'd the car by changing the cars time without my concent or knowledge and grenades the 3rd cylinder.. this is why i do my own repair work now!

AZ Member #

I have a 03, 3.0, i have done all of that and then took it to a "and i use this term so lightly its laughable" mechanic, he fubar'd the car by changing the cars time without my concent or knowledge and grenades the 3rd cylinder.. this is why i do my own repair work now!
    Wow! Did he ever pay for it? We had a mechanic do that to one of our acuras, but they rebuild the valves and heads and paid full cost. I'd sue em if they don't pay!

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Wow! Did he ever pay for it? We had a mechanic do that to one of our acuras, but they rebuild the valves and heads and paid full cost. I'd sue em if they don't pay!

I would have, but he lost his business like 3 days later, because the idiot played high stakes poker bet his garage vs 20k and lost.

Senior Member Two Rings B. Rock's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    91 CQ

Is it causing a CEL? Is it super noisy all the time? If the answer to those is no, I'd leave it well enough alone. Timing chains aren't really mean to be a serviceable item like a timing belt like those found on the earlier engines (pretty much all of them). They're put on the back of the engine to save space in the engine bay/shorten things up to help with center of mass, and as such aren't really meant to be serviced. You could probably get to it w/o pulling the engine if you pulled the trans, but that's about it. My $0.02: service the accessory belt, check the tensioners, and call it a day.
    13 SHO
    09 A6 Avant 3.0t
    96 FZJ80
    95 UrS6 (RS2'd)
    82 TDI Adventurewagen

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by B. Rock View Post
    Is it causing a CEL? Is it super noisy all the time? If the answer to those is no, I'd leave it well enough alone. Timing chains aren't really mean to be a serviceable item like a timing belt like those found on the earlier engines (pretty much all of them). They're put on the back of the engine to save space in the engine bay/shorten things up to help with center of mass, and as such aren't really meant to be serviced. You could probably get to it w/o pulling the engine if you pulled the trans, but that's about it. My $0.02: service the accessory belt, check the tensioners, and call it a day.
    I mean, you are right but i am working all pver the US, this car racked up 50k in less than 6 months i am everywhere from ohio to wilmington nc to knoxville Tn to nyc for work, this car has more than paid for itself, there is no cel there is however a slight chain sound from time to time when the car is cold started, there is a bit of a throttle issue when its cold started too, the rpms while u press the pedal down tend to bounce between 2k and 4k, and its noticeable when in a higher gear goung 25-30 mph it wants to jump, should i do a tb adaptation to fix that or is it a normal thing with the 3.2?