Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings a1dan_87's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Trans Limitations

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Alright, so here's an interesting one.

I got curious today while I had nothing to do, and was doing some searching around. I was looking at transmission stuff for the C6, and I'm under the impression we've all got the 6HP19A in our cars. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So I've found out that the 6hp19a supposedly has a torque input maximum of 400nm, or 295lb-ft of torque?

My question is under what scenarios would that limit be reached, as I've seen plenty of people here with tuned cars pushing over 300lb-ft. And would that be an issue? That seem pretty underrated to be on our cars even stock.

Penny for your thoughts, let's get me bankrupt here. I'm curious to hear people's thoughts

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Audizine mobile app

Veteran Member Four Rings Audibot's Avatar
    AZ Member #

My B7 had the same trans. I was tuned to ~330 lb-ft at the crank, and the transmission never gave me any issues. There is normally a factor of safety too, so it should be able to handle a bit more than that. Biggest issues with these transmissions (at least for the B7) was the torque converter; that said, I drove an A6 3.2 a few weeks ago and it didn't vibrate like the B7 2.0T did.
    2016 A6 TDI Prestige - S-Line, Black Optics, Driver Assistance, HUD, LED Headlights, Cold Weather, Warm Weather
    2003 allroad 6MT - STUKLR Stage 1, Hotchkis sway bars, RS4 engine mounts, Apikol rear diff mounts

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Audibot View Post
    My B7 had the same trans. I was tuned to ~330 lb-ft at the crank, and the transmission never gave me any issues. There is normally a factor of safety too, so it should be able to handle a bit more than that. Biggest issues with these transmissions (at least for the B7) was the torque converter; that said, I drove an A6 3.2 a few weeks ago and it didn't vibrate like the B7 2.0T did.
    My brother has a B7 2.0t and it's got similar problems. The torque converter is a bit iffy

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

The tuned C6 cars pushing over 300TQ that you're seeing are actually the 3.0 supercharged C6.5's. Those come with an 8HP transmission which is considerably stronger than the C6's 6HP. Having said that, my 6HP shifts perfectly fine (but I'm basically stock engine-wise aside from a rigged up intake). But at around 40-45mph my TC acts up as if it's locking and unlocking. RPMs bounce up and down about 150RPM when cruising at that speed on 6th gear. But if I flip to Manual mode down to 5th gear, it goes away. It only happens at that speed. Barely noticeable but I'm aware of it.
    07 A6 3.2- Out & In- Morimoto 5500k & Nokya 2500k, DeAutoLED Reverse, LP, & Footwells, Ziza Full Interior, 10" lo-pro Pioneer, Audi Aluminum Pedals
    Drivetrain & Suspension- Stoptech X-Drilled & Sport Pads, ST X-Coilovers, Hacked Airbox with aFe, Resonator Delete

"What is best in life? -Kill your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women" Conan the Barbarian

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post
    The tuned C6 cars pushing over 300TQ that you're seeing are actually the 3.0 supercharged C6.5's. Those come with an 8HP transmission which is considerably stronger than the C6's 6HP. Having said that, my 6HP shifts perfectly fine (but I'm basically stock engine-wise aside from a rigged up intake). But at around 40-45mph my TC acts up as if it's locking and unlocking. RPMs bounce up and down about 150RPM when cruising at that speed on 6th gear. But if I flip to Manual mode down to 5th gear, it goes away. It only happens at that speed. Barely noticeable but I'm aware of it.
    Yeowch! That's always seemingly been a common problem with the 6hp transmissions for these years on the car. It seems rare that any a6/a4/related car with this transmission has

AZ Member #

Wait I just realised, isn't the 8hp an 8-speed box?

I think our cars have got to be 6hp(a) or a variation thereof

Veteran Member Four Rings Audibot's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Regarding the bouncing, I've had that happen before and could never figure out what it was. Didn't always happen, but when it did, I feel like it was always in the speed band you mentioned.

Were all the A6 2.0Ts CVT/FWD? I thought there were some quattro ones (in which case they'd have a 6HP19). Regarding the transmission's power ability, though, I can confirm it'll hold >300 hp/300 lb-ft on the POS B7 torque converter. And I could have made more if I shelled out more for a different turbo and tune. The weak point is the torque converter, but if you're in the position to change some things, companies like Level10 offer replacement/upgraded torque converters.
    2016 A6 TDI Prestige - S-Line, Black Optics, Driver Assistance, HUD, LED Headlights, Cold Weather, Warm Weather
    2003 allroad 6MT - STUKLR Stage 1, Hotchkis sway bars, RS4 engine mounts, Apikol rear diff mounts

Senior Member Two Rings B. Rock's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    91 CQ

This one has been beat a few times. Yes, that's the trans in our cars. Yes, it's possibly a limiting factor although trans failures in these cars have been rare even with the tuned folks, although up to this point not many were pushing much HP due to lack of support for the chassis. The S6 got the 6HP26A. No one has confirmed if it's a plug and play swap at this point.
    13 SHO
    09 A6 Avant 3.0t
    96 FZJ80
    95 UrS6 (RS2'd)
    82 TDI Adventurewagen

AZ Member #

In the US/Canda - the C6.5 A6 ended 2011 and of those those cars with the 3.0 supercharged - it was only had with 6 speed auto transmission you originally mentioned. It was the C7s A6 that went with the 8 speed transmission. There are also B5 S4 with nearly the same engine that had either a 7sp DSG or a manual transmission. I think B.Rock below has summarized it nicely! FMI - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_A6#Engines
    2011 A6 Avant Prestige w/CWP 1/20