Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings ryanherr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A4 B6 1.8t TIP, My sister's Camry "Drift Lord"

Cold weather trans trouble...

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey all. So, the temperature here in Minnesota has dropped to the low 20's and is going to drop further.
    The problem is when I try to drive my B6 (tuned 1.8t, TIP Trans 177k miles) it will barely go forward at all. I can smash my foot down and it'll go about 1mph and not be happy about it. Usually I just wait about 5-10 minutes for it to warm up and even then, the car will be driving at high revs.

Anyone know how to warm up a Tiptronic transmission fast? I read it could be cold valves sticking, and a fluid/filter change could help remedy this. But I know my whole transmission was service at Audi before I bought it.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

-Ryan

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Probably low fluid, which expands just enough when warm to stop the filter from sucking in air. But you may have damaged the transmission already by trying to force slipping clutches to grab. The transmission is designed to slip the clutches and brake packs just a little for smooth shifts, but extended slip will overheat and wear them out.

The transmission fluid is warmed up fast by driving the car, not idling. But I wouldn't be surprised that the last guy to fill that transmission did it wrong.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Wow, thats great info. So do you think it would be alright if I "topped it off"? Or should I just service the whole shebang?

Veteran Member Three Rings JayDog747's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 S4, 2008 Subaru Outback,2015 Silverado,08 A43.2

You can't just "top it off" There is a procedure that needs to be followed.

If you have been driving it like this, you should take it in and have the fluid and filter replaced.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Sounds good, anything to make the winter driving easier, and the ol' girl last longer. Thanks!

Active Member Two Rings mark_ruchko's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm a resident of Minnesota and also driving a b6 with a tip trannie in it. I did a trannie fluid change because my trannie is slipping and the tourqe converter is bad but I haven't had any problems with last winter. I would recommend taking it to Audi in Minneapolis if that works for you or Draining the fluid, then taking a vcds and filling the transmission pan at the correct Temperature. Just remember that the transmission Has to be filled from the bottom. I advise getting a pump with the correct 45 degree neck to fill through the fill port.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I would love to take it to Audi to get serviced in Minneapolis but its 3.5 hours one way. So I think my plan is buy some oem fluid and use my vcds, and adding it myself. I'd love to do the whole trabs, but the cold weather and snow is a big obstacle right now.

Active Member Two Rings mark_ruchko's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Oh for sure, it started just snowing right now in the twin cities and its getting bad and Im planning to work on my car :( rip

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Right? I feel its time to move lmao. Thanks for the help! Drive safe this winter man, it can get nasty.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JayDog747 View Post
    You can't just "top it off" There is a procedure that needs to be followed.

If you have been driving it like this, you should take it in and have the fluid and filter replaced.
    I agree. The pan should be removed after draining the ATF, which requires a Torx T27 driver. Once the pan is off, check the sludge in the pan: if never serviced, the pan will certainly need careful cleaning. Look for any large particles which could be from disintegrated clutch surfaces. If you see any, or a huge sludge condition, be aware that a new filter and fluid may not restore the transmission. There will also be several magnets with a goopy fuzz of steel particals - these also need to be cleaned. After that, the filter should be changed. Use a little Vaseline on the rubber gasket, otherwise the installation onto the valve body can be difficult.

Clean the pan spotless, also use a solvent to clean the pan sealing surface of the transmission, then place a new gasket on the pan and re-install. I prefer to use Silicone gasket sealant on both sides, and never had a leak afterwards. There are 27 pan screws, so I like to turn all of them enough to lightly clamp against the pan's flange, then go twice around the perimeter with the T27 driver, skipping every other screw, which will ensure that you don't miss any. Use a light touch when tightening, preferably with a low-range torque wrench.

Once on, the drain plug needs to be installed, then use a 17mm hex driver to remove the check/fill plug at the back of the pan. The procedure to fill is not hard, but must be done so that:

(a) The car is very nearly level.

(b) The ATF is filled from a tube inserted through the opening at the top of the drain/fill port.

(c) Fluid added until it flows right out into a catch container beneath the pan.

(d) Engine started and filling resumed.

(e) Fluid added until it flows right out into a catch container beneath the pan.

(f) Gear shifted between D and R a time or two, returned to N afterwards. Foot on the brake when you do this.

(g) Transmission pan becomes warm-to-touch - about 100F (VCDS ATF temperature monitoring prefered).

(h) Make sure transmission won't take any more ATF, then install the check/fill plug.

(i) Shut off engine, take car off stands, then cross fingers and go for a test drive.

For ATF, I've used Valvoline Maxlife synthetic in several VAG cars we've owned. My '96 was fine at 270K miles (sold) while my current 3.0 B6 has 200K, most of that filled with Maxlife.