Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

The "Prestige" trim is suspiciously missing from AutoTrader/Cars.com....

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys,

I'm currently in the market for a used 2017/2018 S3 to replace my 2013 Ford Focus ST that I'm currently driving. I'm looking at a few certified 2017 models and I'm confused about how there are basically no used prestige trim models. I set my search on AutoTrader for 2017 and set the distance from me for literally any distance and I found three. Do they just not build a lot of Prestige trims or do people just not sell them after they're built? If I set my search to brand new prestige models, I see literally 6 results that are all 1,000+ miles from me....something must be wrong. Do they just mark everything under the premium plus trim..? Take this one for example; is this a premium plus or a prestige? I honestly can't tell...

To be honest, the only things I really care about from the prestige trim are the Audi virtual cockpit and the Bang & Olufsen sound system. It looks like the one I linked above has the sound system and the dash looks all digital so I think it has all of the features a prestige model would have...also, the different drive modes feature is tied to the MMI system, right? So I think the one I posted also has that? This is all kind of confusing when everything is just listed the same. Any help would be really appreciated!

Veteran Member Four Rings a4000's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You don't need prestige for virtual cockpit and B&O. You just need a premium plus with Tech + B&O options.

The prestige comes with

MMI® navigation plus with MMI® touch, and 14-speaker Bang & Olufsen® audio system
    Audi virtual cockpit
    Audi adaptive cruise control with stop and go
    Audi active lane assist and Audi side assist with rear cross traffic assist

But on the premium plus you can get the MMI touch/B&O/Virtual cockpit as options. So the only thing a loaded premium plus wouldn't have are adaptive cruise and active lane assist. I think prestige also has led lighting inside and maybe more leather in the interior.
    2017 Audi S3//Premium Plus//Daytona Gray Pearl//Magma//Black Optic//Tech//B&O//Resonator Delete//JB4//APR Springs//BBS CH-R

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by a4000 View Post
    You don't need prestige for virtual cockpit and B&O. You just need a premium plus with Tech + B&O options.

The prestige comes with

MMI® navigation plus with MMI® touch, and 14-speaker Bang & Olufsen® audio system
    Audi virtual cockpit
    Audi adaptive cruise control with stop and go
    Audi active lane assist and Audi side assist with rear cross traffic assist

But on the premium plus you can get the MMI touch/B&O/Virtual cockpit as options. So the only thing a loaded premium plus wouldn't have are adaptive cruise and active lane assist. I think prestige also has led lighting inside and maybe more leather in the interior.
    Ahh, I gotcha. So while looking, just make sure to keep an eye out for those options? Like I said, the B&O is the one thing I really care about. I'd like Android Auto but I believe that comes standard on all 2017+ models, right or is it bundled with MMI? I don't have Android Auto in my Focus but it'd be nice since I currently use Waze over the Ford navigation and I'll probably continue to do the same thing rather than use the built-in navigation that Audi uses so having Waze on the screen would be nice. Audi virtual cockpit looks fancy but I honestly don't know too much about it. I'll take it if I can get it but I'll live without it.

In your opinion, are the extra features on the legitimate prestige models worth the extra effort to find one? Adaptive CC and active lane assist are things I can live without and I figure that there are probably aftermarket LED options for the interior. How nice are those leather seats, though?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I can’t speak from experience considering I don’t own an S3 yet, but i’m also in the market for a 2017/18. I’m a little bummed that the Prestige gets those extra safety features considering my wife’s CX5 Touring has them, but I think they’re something I can live without and just comes down to personal preference. And like you said, it seems the Prestige models are quite harder to come by anyway.

Also, to answer one of your questions, I believe you need the MMI+ package in order to get Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Worth it to get all the tech if you ask me!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by doomislegend View Post
    I can’t speak from experience considering I don’t own an S3 yet, but i’m also in the market for a 2017/18. I’m a little bummed that the Prestige gets those extra safety features considering my wife’s CX5 Touring has them, but I think they’re something I can live without and just comes down to personal preference. And like you said, it seems the Prestige models are quite harder to come by anyway.

Also, to answer one of your questions, I believe you need the MMI+ package in order to get Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Worth it to get all the tech if you ask me!
    I'm fairly certain all 17+ models have Android auto/carplay

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I'm fairly certain all 17+ models have Android auto/carplay
    Oops, you’re right! It’s the A3 Premium that has it as an upgrade I believe. Thanks!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by doomislegend View Post
    Oops, you’re right! It’s the A3 Premium that has it as an upgrade I believe. Thanks!
    However I think non-nav cars have a smaller lcd screen

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

You don't see many prestige cars because it pushes the price high enough that, with other options added in, it makes the car a REALLY tough sell at that price point. The premium plus models are the volume sellers and leasers for this model.

You should be able to get some really good deals on new cars on the lot right now. I got mine this past weekend (S3), and paid literally $1K more than a comparably equipped CPO 2017 with 11K on the odometer that I looked into on cars.com.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

So the only thing a loaded premium plus wouldn't have are adaptive cruise and active lane assist. I think prestige also has led lighting inside and maybe more leather in the interior.
    The prestige also comes with grocery hooks in the trunk, power folding mirrors, high beam assist, and USB jacks below the rear vents for the rear seat passengers.

The mirrors and hooks can be added via parts, and I believe the high beam assist can be coded, so those are no big deal. The adaptive cruise control is the big difference. If that's something you really want, it's only on prestige trims. Led interior lighting is standard on 2018 models; my premium plus has it.

AZ Member #

Thanks a lot, everyone!

It sounds like I can live without the exclusive features that the prestige trim comes with. I'm seeing multiple low-mile 2017 S3's that seem pretty loaded in my area for the mid 30's. I don't plan on actually picking one up until about February so I'll see what the prices are at that point. Maybe I'll spend a bit more if there's a similarly spec'd 2018 I can find. I at least want the facelift that came with the 2017's and the features I spoke about before. I'm cross-shopping a few different cars; the S3, S4, and Ford Fusion Sport to be exact. I haven't gone for a test drive in a S3 yet but at least on paper, it's probably my favorite. Decent price, decent size, great gas mileage (I'm currently averaging like 18MPG combined with my Focus ST), it seems like the 2.0l is very reliable, and it also has great aftermarket potential. I'm trying to schedule a test drive for next weekend and I'm excited!