Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings revolution337's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    4.2 A4, mk4 jetta

Cam chain tensioner broken

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    During my process of tensioning the cam chain tensioner in order to replace the gasket underneath, one of the two locating tabs busted off the cam chain tensioner! It really surprised me, because the chain tensioner wasn't even fully de-tensioned when it happen *sigh*

Anyway, although I already know the most likely answer to this question (replace it!), I was still hoping to get opinions on running it as is. The other tab still keeps it aligned well enough, and with spring/oil pressure, it might be ok? Or just tell me to stop being so cheap and buy a new one. Oh, and its an AEB, not that it really matters lol.

Life is too short to drive ugly cars.

Senior Member Four Rings rockbeau25's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Mine did the same thing and itís been fine for like 10k.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Well itís there for a reason. If youíre planning on keeping the car long term itís probably worth investing in a new tensioner. They arenít crazy expensive. Would you regret it when youíre waiting on the roadside with a broken car in the middle of nowhere? If itís just a car and when it stops youíll get another then leave it as it is and make sure youíve got breakdown cover. If the tensioner fails then the engine stops and will need new valves etc. Not a roadside repair!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

ouch, for my safety I would get one, but I understand if your money is strict right now , you could probably try it on your own safety. Also did you clean your chain etc, with a rag that leaves that lint behind - I dont think thats a good idea :P

Veteran Member Four Rings revolution337's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    4.2 A4, mk4 jetta

Quote Originally Posted by rockbeau25 View Post
    Mine did the same thing and itís been fine for like 10k.
    Good to know. I've decided to just bite the bullet and buy a new one. Thanks for the input though

Quote Originally Posted by Blazius View Post
    ouch, for my safety I would get one, but I understand if your money is strict right now , you could probably try it on your own safety. Also did you clean your chain etc, with a rag that leaves that lint behind - I dont think thats a good idea :P
    Yeah there is still a lot of cleaning left to do on the engine
    Life is too short to drive ugly cars.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by revolution337 View Post
    Good to know. I've decided to just bite the bullet and buy a new one. Thanks for the input though

Yeah there is still a lot of cleaning left to do on the engine
    The right decision I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk