Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Replacing my parking brake switch - can't get the old one out!

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I managed to get all my center console trim removed to get to the actual switch, but it appears to be stuck. I've un-hinged it from the two side tabs that are holding it on but it still won't come out. There appear to be two small screws at the front of the switch that are holding it onto the center console, but I have no idea what type of screws they are. I tried every screw driver I had (hex, torx, flathead, Philips, etc.) that would fit in there, but none appear to work.

I've looked at every online tutorial I can find, and the closest thing I've seen is this tutorial where he shows a picture with a caption of "screws removed" but doesn't say what kind they are.

Anyone have any thoughts?
    Current vehicles:

2009 A4 Avant Premium Plus - Aruba Blue Pearl
    2018 S5 Cabriolet Prestige - Glacier White Metallic

Past vehicles:

2001 A6 - Santorin Blue Pearl
    2003 A4 - Light Silver Metallic
    2015 Q3 - Monsoon Gray Metallic

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dbrewer80221 View Post
    I managed to get all my center console trim removed to get to the actual switch, but it appears to be stuck. I've un-hinged it from the two side tabs that are holding it on but it still won't come out. There appear to be two small screws at the front of the switch that are holding it onto the center console, but I have no idea what type of screws they are. I tried every screw driver I had (hex, torx, flathead, Philips, etc.) that would fit in there, but none appear to work.

I've looked at every online tutorial I can find, and the closest thing I've seen is this tutorial where he shows a picture with a caption of "screws removed" but doesn't say what kind they are.

Anyone have any thoughts?
    I just recently did this job. Easy Peasy. You remove the two torx screws, then with one finger pushing the switch out of the console, go to the front of the switch (underneath the two screws) and get a small flathead screwdriver (jeweler size - or one you use to fix eyeglass screws with) and fidget around. Once you release the switch from the tab, it will push up (or out). Then go to the bottom of the switch and there are I think two tabs. Same deal while you maintain pressure on the switch to push it out.

The hardest part of the job is pulling the shifter console out. :)

The link you have is pretty spot on. You just need to be patient and maintain finger force on pushing the switch out.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by harryn View Post
    I just recently did this job. Easy Peasy. You remove the two torx screws, then with one finger pushing the switch out of the console, go to the front of the switch (underneath the two screws) and get a small flathead screwdriver (jeweler size - or one you use to fix eyeglass screws with) and fidget around. Once you release the switch from the tab, it will push up (or out). Then go to the bottom of the switch and there are I think two tabs. Same deal while you maintain pressure on the switch to push it out.

The hardest part of the job is pulling the shifter console out. :)

The link you have is pretty spot on. You just need to be patient and maintain finger force on pushing the switch out.
    Thanks, do you know what size those torx screws are? I tried every torx driver I had, and none of them seemed to be turning a screw.
    Current vehicles:

2009 A4 Avant Premium Plus - Aruba Blue Pearl
    2018 S5 Cabriolet Prestige - Glacier White Metallic

Past vehicles:

2001 A6 - Santorin Blue Pearl
    2003 A4 - Light Silver Metallic
    2015 Q3 - Monsoon Gray Metallic

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dbrewer80221 View Post
    Thanks, do you know what size those torx screws are? I tried every torx driver I had, and none of them seemed to be turning a screw.
    They're T10 I think?