Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Running K03s on my K04 tune

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey Guys,
    My beloved stg 3 Imola Yellow 2000 S4 ended up being totaled out by the insurance company after a family member had a minor wreck. And while they also only reimbursed me for about $1000 worth of upgrades on top of the pitiful bluebook value (even with detailed invoices and receipts) all is not, lost, in fact I think I ended up doing quite well since the damage was almost entirely cosmetic (save for a radiator, fans and condenser) and I was able to buy back my "totaled car" for under $500. On top of that I was fortunate, or lucky, enough to locate a pristine example of a 2000 Imola S4 within driving distance that had a couple minor misfire issues for not too much more than my settlement check. Now comes the hard part of remembering and swapping out every part I've added or upgraded over the past 15 years. If I had to pay a shop to do it I couldn't even begin to imagine how much it would cost but I suppose its just gonna be many many hours in the garage for me. That brings me to my questions and request for your opinions.

I finally had my original S4 towed to the house yesterday when my mechanic gave me the green light that there was no serious damage to the workings of the engine. Now comes the fun part. The two cars are taking up my entire garage and I barely have enough room to walk around them to work, let alone store parts as they are removed. I want to get the new S4 as close to finished as possible save for the parts requiring an engine pull so I can free up some space. Fixing the misfire and replacement of the VCG means pulling a lot off so I figured I would just try to swap everything I possibly can at the same time which would only leave the turbos, clutch/flywheel, and exhaust components to do when I have everything off the old car and am ready to pull the engine and swap those.

My questions is essentially how bad would it be to temporarily run these stock K03's and DPs with my stage 3 setup if I take it easy. I'm not worried about killing the turbos as I will be switching them, and also have two more Paris of K03s in the garage in perfect shape. I am only worried about any other unforeseen consequences as I know its just dumb to do something like run bigger injectors without a tune and MAF that account for them. I would be swapping out everything else that is stage 3 (034 tune btw) including the intercoolers and everything I can reach from the service position and jacks.

I wouldn't be using it as a daily driver and have no intentions of running it hard until everything is put on but I didn't know what the community opinion of this plan would be. I would appreciate any input.

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

As long as you are easy on it, I dont see why it wouldn't atleast "get you by"

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

Senior Member Four Rings JustManson's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Why not pull the motor/trans and swap the whole thing over in one shot...

That seems to me the easiest and most logical way to get your stage 3 engine and all the associated parts over.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Veteran Member Three Rings VR6Bomber's Avatar
    AZ Member #

TLDR:
    Unplug the N75 and run waste gate pressure until you get a proper tune.
    Or buy a stock ecu, aren't those relatively cheap?

Registered Member One Ring need2speed's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 S4, LS Mustang

I say unplug the n75 til then

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 S4 Black, 2001 Ram 1500 Off-Road

I couldn't imagine that it would kill anything, but it probably wouldn't run that smooth, either. What's causing the misfire?

Unless the misfire is from the ECU, why not keep the stock parts and ECU until the motors get changed? Most speed parts are fine on a stock tune, but check the cylinder pressures cause you may end up having to swap motors soon anyways.

Established Member Two Rings SoundEfx's Avatar
    AZ Member #

My opinion would be to leave the none staged as is and simply fix the misfire if you want to drive it. Why risk it?
    Then as mentioned above, perform the swap and be done.

AZ Member #

Thanks guys, appreciate the input. I ended up "sort of" tracking down the misfire. After doing compression and leak down tests, following the usual suspects obviously, I went ahead and pulled the injectors and swapped out an old one I had from long ago. Car is running much much smoother now however there is still a misfire that was popping up in cylinder 2, swapped ICMs and it jumped to #5. Swapped out another ICM that I had which may not be good either an now I'm pulling random misfires... assuming the original problem was a combination of a bad injector and bad ICMs. I now remember why I did the 2.0 coil conversion. However, that leaves me with another problem, I can easily order pigtails and wire the new car up for the conversion and use my coils and spacers from my old one but then that leaves that car inoperable without buying all new spacers and coils since I soldered everything and didn't buy the plug and play kit. I don't really want to put the old harness in the new car since it is definitely showing its age so if anyone has a line on spacers or coil packs for a conversion please let me know!
    Thanks!

AZ Member #

Check the cams and lifters for wear. And if you donít unplug the n75 youíll run lean up top and will have problems.