Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtlquattro View Post
    And this is pretty much what I told you we are doing.

I am not really sure what kind of conclusions you can make about fueling if you don't have control of your boost.

I am not sure what you are trying to prove but here with this thread here I am just sharing the progress of this turbo upgrade for the benefit of everyone interested

Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk
    Great you are logging timing, but are you logging the timing that is being pulled? There has to be some being pulled with the larger turbo and increased boost given this is a piggy back tune that doesn't have full control of the ECU.

The conclusion I'm making about fueling is that you don't add boost unless the fuel is there.

We understand you are sharing the progress of the 35R turbo upgrade with the JB4 but want to understand the data behind it. A 1000hp car may feel good for a few pulls before it blows, I'm trying to understand if this setup is within safe operating parameters or not. You have not provided any data that would state it is or not.

Veteran Member Three Rings mtlquattro's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by OverBoosted View Post
    Great you are logging timing, but are you logging the timing that is being pulled? There has to be some being pulled with the larger turbo and increased boost given this is a piggy back tune that doesn't have full control of the ECU.

The conclusion I'm making about fueling is that you don't add boost unless the fuel is there.

We understand you are sharing the progress of the 35R turbo upgrade with the JB4 but want to understand the data behind it. A 1000hp car may feel good for a few pulls before it blows, I'm trying to understand if this setup is within safe operating parameters or not. You have not provided any data that would state it is or not.
    We both agree that you don't add boost if fuel is not there, I never said otherwise. Like I told you, there is no timing pull at all. Like it's been discussed before, the ecu does a great job with timing adaptation and knock prevention.

I have been driving and logging the car very hard at a level of boost that we know is safe. Do we want more? Yes we want more and this is what we are working on within the possibilties of the jb4. We logs, bms improves their firmware and relog and so on. That process takes time and I am not going to post logs when nothing is final, I don't want to lead anyone to false and premature conclusions.

2018 S5 IBIS WHITE COUPE
    11.03@128.04 via dragy
    SRM GTX3582TPC Upgraded Turbine WheelCTS FMICCTS Downpipe/CEL deleteBMS JB4/BCMBMS WMI/Throttle+CP InjectionECS Alu CPRoc-euro/ECS inlet hoseH&R springs RS grille/CF splitterColor matched skirts

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I just want to say thank you to you, mtlquattro. For all the time you've spent informing us about the progress you've made with the new turbo. I'm just doing supporting mods and the JB4 for now, but the hybrid is definitely in the near future for me. I love the oxygen increase at all boost levels, keeping the efficiency high and not having to beat up the air too much. Please don't limit your posts because of people like OverBoosted, who demand information and explanations and don't clearly read what you post. I appreciate everything you're doing and can see you're not pushing people to be dangerously experimental with their own vehicles. Again, thanks for keeping us informed and keep up the good work!

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by OverBoosted View Post
    The JB4 logs the timing adaption. Not sure what kind of cars you accustomed to reading and understanding how the ECU works but on the S4 the ECU is very dynamic. With the higher boost levels the exhaust gas temperature rises. The ECU has a AFR to EGT map and it enriches the mixture to bring EGT back to what it considers normal. In turn the richer mixture allows for the stock timing chart to be good for the boost so you wont necessarily have timing adaption.

Here is a quick log showing a timing adaption occurring with the ECU dropping the over all timing. In this case we where testing what the ECU does when meth fails. (our fail safe board which would have cut boost was deactivated).

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by pumped58 View Post
    I just want to say thank you to you, mtlquattro. For all the time you've spent informing us about the progress you've made with the new turbo. I'm just doing supporting mods and the JB4 for now, but the hybrid is definitely in the near future for me. I love the oxygen increase at all boost levels, keeping the efficiency high and not having to beat up the air too much. Please don't limit your posts because of people like OverBoosted, who demand information and explanations and don't clearly read what you post. I appreciate everything you're doing and can see you're not pushing people to be dangerously experimental with their own vehicles. Again, thanks for keeping us informed and keep up the good work!
    Thanks man. It's really appreciated that you took the time to make that post. I will continue to document the progress and some challenging opinions were to be expected when I made this thread. This turbo upgrade is still in constant evolution so should be this thread. I am really confident that with the help of the BMS and Eurocode guys this will prove to be a very powerful and reliable setup, no doubt about it. It's not that I don't want to post my logs is that right now, things are moving so fast that posting logs at every stages of evolution and having to justify them seems counter productive adding that english is not my first language. We all know the basic challenges and risks involved in this kind of project, some may disagree with the approach but ultimately the main goal is to make the b9 super fast.

And thanks George, your interventions are always filled with helpful informations!

2018 S5 IBIS WHITE COUPE
    11.03@128.04 via dragy
    SRM GTX3582TPC Upgraded Turbine WheelCTS FMICCTS Downpipe/CEL deleteBMS JB4/BCMBMS WMI/Throttle+CP InjectionECS Alu CPRoc-euro/ECS inlet hoseH&R springs RS grille/CF splitterColor matched skirts

AZ Member #

Quick update, I finally went ahead and finished my wmi install. I took the effort to cover all the wiring and the meth line with black braided nylon hose. I also covered the brass fittings with black shrink wrap for a very discrete look. I could not stant the look of the plumbing under the hood.

I have not driven the car much since but will come back for more details and first impressions! I am currently testing an absolute target map of 27psi...

2018 S5 IBIS WHITE COUPE
    11.03@128.04 via dragy

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thanks man. It's really appreciated that you took the time to make that post. I will continue to document the progress and some challenging opinions were to be expected when I made this thread. This turbo upgrade is still in constant evolution so should be this thread. I am really confident that with the help of the BMS and Eurocode guys this will prove to be a very powerful and reliable setup, no doubt about it. It's not that I don't want to post my logs is that right now, things are moving so fast that posting logs at every stages of evolution and having to justify them seems counter productive adding that english is not my first language. We all know the basic challenges and risks involved in this kind of project, some may disagree with the approach but ultimately the main goal is to make the b9 super fast.

And thanks George, your interventions are always filled with helpful informations!

Yes a 100% and a grateful +1 on your experimenting and essentially being our guinea pig for these new products. Without you and your willingness to try and even better yet give us your honest feedback wether it be good or bad, we probably wouldnt buy or try these products for ourselves.
    Kudos to you mtlquattro and keep up the good work.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Audizine mobile app

Senior Member Three Rings Nez136's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quick update, I finally went ahead and finished my wmi install. I took the effort to cover all the wiring and the meth line with black braided nylon hose. I also covered the brass fittings with black shrink wrap for a very discrete look. I could not stant the look of the plumbing under the hood.

I have not driven the car much since but will come back for more details and first impressions! I am currently testing an absolute target map of 27psi...

Well aside from the spray nozzle the engine bay looks stock! Well done.... looking forward to see trap speeds
    '11 S4
    '05 Evo 2.3 HTA35r

Established Member Three Rings mobE's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '18 GMC Sierra Denali ultimate

Look's great man, I really like the added touch with the shrink wrapp ect. I feel like I'm going to do my suspension build in the spring and once it heats up in the midwest I'll be adding wmi for the summer lol

AZ Member #

So far I have been testing a few meth mixture and getting a good impression of what the boost threshold could by for those mixtures. These are approximate but based on weight and not volume. Keep in mind that here is freezing cold (-20c) so I am looking more at the added octane and fueling benefits than cooling. I started with 35/65, immediatly I could feel the car being able to make effective power from the last psi's above 23 that I tried to run on pump. It felt good and seems to be a good mixture for a safe 24-25psi goal. Then I went to 50/50, not a big difference but could add a little more boost so should be a good mix for daily driving. 65/35 is when I started to see the action of the added fueling, could reach 27-28 psi without putting too much stress on the trims compared to 94 pump fuel at 25psi.
    Now testing somewhere between 80/20 and 85/20 and damn that thing rips lol! Pushing 29psi, trims still better than 25 on pump. I can say with confidence than this car has a 10 sec pass at over 125mph in it ;)

I can't speak of iat's improvement yet, it's so cold that my temps are always below 32f even without meth, that cts cooler is amazing!

As far as timing I think the car will have to somewhat adapt to that effective octane addition so it is still giving me the numbers that I am used to see and I never had any pull to begin with even on pump.

When summer comes, my bet is that increasing the water in the mixture will probably be good to keep those boost levels, we will have to see!

2018 S5 IBIS WHITE COUPE
    11.03@128.04 via dragy

Established Member Three Rings Yabi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Toyota Prius 5

Great job, looks clean! Did you source the materials online?
    Last edited by Yabi; 02-20-2019 at 04:09 AM.

Established Member Two Rings B9S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Yabi View Post
    Great job, looks clean! Did you source the materials online?
    All hardware is BMS and I purchased my heat shrink/heat shield tubing off Amazon. No sure about Johann.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Audizine mobile app

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I have not driven the car much since but will come back for more details and first impressions! I am currently testing an absolute target map of 27psi

That is so discreet I cannot even use it for marketing hehe Nice going.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '18 S5 SB // '05 MV Agusta F4-1000

I can't speak of iat's improvement yet, it's so cold that my temps are always below 32f even without meth, that cts cooler is amazing!

What made you decide on the CTS FMIC and not the other offerings from APR or IE? from my understanding, the CTS unit is actually smaller than the APR or IE ones.

Current: '18 S5 | SportBack | Prestige

Previous: S4 | Stage ++ | PLM

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by George@BMS View Post
    That is so discreet I cannot even use it for marketing hehe Nice going.
    That's a good one George! It seems like big power while retaining a discret oem look is in the dna of the audi enthusiast!

Thanks @danaeroS4 for the kind words and thanks everyone for the support!

Like Mason said, everything you need for the wmi can be purchased from the bms website, super simple you pick the starter kit, choose your tank size, nozzle size and add the s4 tb adaptor plate. Single BM10 is the recommended nozzle for our cars. Now looking at adding an adfitionnal BM5 nozzle to my setup.

Nylon braided hosing and shrink wrap comes from my local electronic part store. Choose the splitted nylon hose so you can hide your wires without even unplugging anything.

I chose the cts cooler because I used their product in the past for my big turbo b6 and always been satisfied. The I.E one I believe is bar and fins and the others are bar and plate so that ruled out the I.E. for me. The cts is only a 1/4" narrower than the apr so they basically are the same size and cts is half the price of the apr for what seems to be an equivalent product and my logs shows it. I looked at the oem piping and soon realised that it was well designed with no detour or abrupt corners. All fmic offers the same as oem inlet/outlet diameter so I don't really see the advantage of oversizing the piping alone. Might actually increase the pressure drop. I may be wrong on this but that was my reasoning. Finally the ecs and the srm ones are not options for the s5, they are too thick.

2018 S5 IBIS WHITE COUPE
    11.03@128.04 via dragy

AZ Member #

Now that everything is almost all dialed-in, here is a quick 1-5 gear log. We can see that there is some overboost but will be quickly fixed by reducing de wgdc in the higher range and raising the boost target to match the 28-29 psi that I want. This is a map using 80-20 mixture intended for 1/4 mile racing, I do not plan to run that boost on the streets. Now that we can reach those levels of boost, the main concern is how much the engine can take. I consider my goal reached as George said, we could have been stuck with an hybrid turbo at stock boost level. With the jb4 and the help of wmi we can really push this thing beyond what I expected in the sens that I would have never anticipated that we could max out the engine with this setup!! What is the limit, I don't know and I don't plan to test it until options are available to build the engine.

https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5c6ebb28..._38_Map-6.xlsx

2018 S5 IBIS WHITE COUPE
    11.03@128.04 via dragy

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Logs looks very good. Very encouraging and pushing me to want to upgrade the turbo! Any chance we'd see a dyno and possibly a video of a run thru the gears because I'd imagine this car is an absolute blast to drive.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by RLB6 View Post
    Logs looks very good. Very encouraging and pushing me to want to upgrade the turbo! Any chance we'd see a dyno and possibly a video of a run thru the gears because I'd imagine this car is an absolute blast to drive.
    Can do a video for sure! We'll have to wait a few days because now there is too much snow on the road. For the dyno, that can be done, I'll have to make an appointment.
    2018 S5 IBIS WHITE COUPE
    11.03@128.04 via dragy

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Can do a video for sure! We'll have to wait a few days because now there is too much snow on the road. For the dyno, that can be done, I'll have to make an appointment.
    The community thanks you!!

AZ Member #

Ok guys I will have to come back on what I said about the stock intercooler piping. Running a smooth 25psi and the pipe poped off the fmic inlet lol!

2018 S5 IBIS WHITE COUPE
    11.03@128.04 via dragy

Established Member Three Rings Yabi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Toyota Prius 5

Ok guys I will have to come back on what I said about the stock intercooler piping. Running a smooth 25psi and the pipe poped off the fmic inlet lol!

LOL!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Yabi View Post
    LOL!
    Yeah! It's part of the game!! I already ordered the ecs chargepipe kit.

2018 S5 IBIS WHITE COUPE
    11.03@128.04 via dragy

AZ Member #

Always a nice heart attack when you hear the pipe come off and the car goes into limp mode
    '11 S4
    '05 Evo 2.3 HTA35r

AZ Member #

Funny thing is that the car didn't go in limp mode?!? I'll pop it back in place tonight. I wonder if i'll have enough room to remove the belly pan with only a floor jack to lift the car?

2018 S5 IBIS WHITE COUPE
    11.03@128.04 via dragy

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Funny thing is that the car didn't go in limp mode?!? I'll pop it back in place tonight. I wonder if i'll have enough room to remove the belly pan with only a floor jack to lift the car?

Ha, I bet you shit your pants when that happened! Luckily it was a simple fix.
    To answer your question, it shouldn't be an issue. I had all that taken off when I did my awe dp's... I did it in my garage. I did have the car up on four Jack stands so I could take it up higher.

AZ Member #

I’m very surprised the car didn’t go into limp mode! But I’m sure it did make a loud pop!
    Happened to me once in my old Evo when I was coming back from AMS in Chicago. Had to limp like 20 min back to replace clamps with tbolts
    '11 S4
    '05 Evo 2.3 HTA35r

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nez136 View Post
    I’m very surprised the car didn’t go into limp mode! But I’m sure it did make a loud pop!
    Happened to me once in my old Evo when I was coming back from AMS in Chicago. Had to limp like 20 min back to replace clamps with tbolts
    The car said fuck it, I'm still able to suck air, let's eattt! 😅

AZ Member #

When I heard the loud pop I was sure I had blown something major whatever but then I realised that everything was still running smoothly so it should no be too bad! Still very scary moment. Now my charge pipe is all bended and collapsed, it really cannot stand that amount of boost what was I thinking lol! Afterward it seems kind of obvious!
    2018 S5 IBIS WHITE COUPE
    11.03@128.04 via dragy

AZ Member #

Yea they also collapse from tbolts. If they are cheap pipes that is
    '11 S4
    '05 Evo 2.3 HTA35r

AZ Member #
    My Garage

When I heard the loud pop I was sure I had blown something major whatever but then I realised that everything was still running smoothly so it should no be too bad! Still very scary moment. Now my charge pipe is all bended and collapsed, it really cannot stand that amount of boost what was I thinking lol! Afterward it seems kind of obvious!
    I'm glad I'm running after market pipe's 😅 I'm going to try out some hi boost and see how my car handles it.... I did some logging already and was at about 23lbs! Going to try and bump it up a bit just because, once I find my ceiling I'm going to back it down for normal day to day driving and save that for fun runs.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mobE View Post
    once I find my ceiling I'm going to back it down
    Yeah right... LOL
    2018 S5 IBIS WHITE COUPE
    11.03@128.04 via dragy

AZ Member #

Popping the chargepipe in place was quite easy. I did not have to remove the whole belly pan. It can be done from the engine bay but I realised that after removing a part of the inner fender so I did it from under the car.
    2018 S5 IBIS WHITE COUPE
    11.03@128.04 via dragy

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Yeah right... LOL
    😬😅

AZ Member #

Latest results spinning into 3rd. Screenshot_20190224-184752_dragy.jpeg

AZ Member #

SRM GTX3582R BB turbo upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by B9S4 View Post
    Latest results spinning into 3rd. Screenshot_20190224-184752_dragy.jpeg

Almost there! Great pull! Probably will be one of the first b9s to touch a 10... and on a uncracked ECU 🤯
    '11 S4
    '05 Evo 2.3 HTA35r

AZ Member #

Almost there! Great pull! Probably will be one of the first b9 to touch a 10... and on a uncracked ECU 🤯
    Thank you! I'll get a bit more methanol injection, increase the boost a little more, and get my lighter summer wheels on then give it another try.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by B9S4 View Post
    Thank you! I'll get a bit more methanol injection, increase the boost a little more, and get my lighter summer wheels on then give it another try.

I think there will be more refining with the jb4 yet, especially with you bigger turbo guys. Playing with the meth and boost can definitely shave a little off yet.

The ECU is pretty damn awesome but would love to see how much more can be squeezed out with a few more degrees of timing advance.
    '11 S4
    '05 Evo 2.3 HTA35r

AZ Member #

I think there will be more refining with the jb4 yet, especially with you bigger turbo guys. Playing with the meth and boost can definitely shave a little off yet.

The ECU is pretty damn awesome but would love to see how much more can be squeezed out with a few more degrees of timing advance.
    I agree, to be running a piggy back with a larger turbo and wmi it is incredible how well it adapts. You couldn't do this with previous generations.

AZ Member #

Good job Mason! Imagine at 30psi with 80-20 mix and additionnal nozzle! Can't wait for race season!

2018 S5 IBIS WHITE COUPE
    11.03@128.04 via dragy

AZ Member #

Good job Mason! Imagine at 30psi with 80-20 mix and additionnal nozzle! Can't wait for race season!

I wouldn't have run that without your help! That is going to be crazy I can't wait either!

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast