Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

JHM Rebuilt 01e transmission noise and difficulty shifting

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I just had my trans rebuilt and I have some extra whirring that was not present before the rebuild. Does the trans sound okay in the attached video? The cabin noise is loud even with the shifter boot on but i took it off so it could be heard easier. Let me know what you guys think! Posted the vid on youtube.

https://youtu.be/yydHUrvpfDs

Also it is fairly hard to put the car into any gear especially 1-2 and reverse. No amount of adjustment seems to help and I originally used an angle finder following the JHM video.
    Last edited by em5780; 11-12-2018 at 11:22 AM.

Senior Member Three Rings slowSfaux's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Embedded video for you, cause ain't nobody got time to copy and paste into the address bar.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thank you slowsfaux! I appreciate that!

Established Member Two Rings Lanorg's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1997 1.9 TDI Jeep TJ

Correct oil at correct level?
    B5

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I have oem fluid in it. Was filled when installed and rechecked after driving around a few minutes to be sure.

Veteran Member Four Rings zillarob's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2kS4, 84gli, 84caddy dsl

Id say make sure whoever rebuilt it is aware of your concerns, and give them a chance to check out if they want.

Probs like this arent usually probs for very long if they really are probs.
    Just make sure everybody is on the same page warranty-wise if it does turn out to be a prob.
    There are only 2 things needed to make an Audi work properly - Duct tape and WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't - Duct tape. If it doesn’t move and it should - WD40.

Registered User Four Rings Scotty@Advanced's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If it changes with operation, it could be the preload on the output shaft bearings wasn't adjusted. If it's in that gear only, then it could be due to gear damage or gears that haven't been mated.

Scott

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The transmission was done by JHM and they advised me that it was not an issue. I dont agree because ive never had an s4 trans that sounded like that. The noise is with operation so output shaft bearings sounds the most reasonable.

I am having issues with the trans not shifting properly either despite using an angle finder and following the jhm video.

Spent 2700 not including shipping for a trans that operates worse than before!! Not nice.

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings Jake@JHM's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MK7-GTI-APR-STG2-Grand-Cherokee-R6-Raven-IRON-1250

Quote Originally Posted by em5780 View Post
    The transmission was done by JHM and they advised me that it was not an issue. I dont agree because ive never had an s4 trans that sounded like that. The noise is with operation so output shaft bearings sounds the most reasonable.

I am having issues with the trans not shifting properly either despite using an angle finder and following the jhm video.

Spent 2700 not including shipping for a trans that operates worse than before!! Not nice.

At what timestamp in the video is the noise you are referring not happening? I couldn't tell with my speakers. Can you PM me your order number?

A shifter alignment issue doesn't mean that there is a transmission issue. Did you install shifter only or the Trio? What is the shifting problem you are experiencing?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

pm sent.