Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Two Rings BuyTheWarranty's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Panther Black RS5

Winter Storage Fuel Level

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey everyone, was hoping some members could share their tips on winter storage of their V8 Audiís regarding fuel.

Most things Iíve read online recommend a full tank of gas, with fuel stabilizer to prevent moisture from building inside the tank, as well as preventing ďrustingĒ of the tank.

Iíve also heard that storing 3-5months worth of fuel in your tank is a waste, since the fuel after 30 days can lose its kick and youíre better having 1/4 to 1/2 tank with fuel stabilizer.

I had intended on keeping it full, however we got a blizzard out of nowhere so it seems like itís gonna sit with whatís in it currently, as I have summer tires and thereís about half a foot of snow. (1/4 tank).

Thoughts?

Established Member Two Rings Lanorg's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1997 1.9 TDI Jeep TJ

I believe the full tank is to make sure the moisture and condensation is diluted so it doesn't cause fuelling issues. Fuel tanks don't rust.

It's wise to run the engine periodically but no one likes idling up to operating temp as it takes too long and can be argued to do more harm than good. There will be days with no snow so salt will be minimal. Go for a drive and fill up, then hit a car wash on the way home.
    B5

Established Member Two Rings ffearless's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Tundra, 2017 RDX

A full tank is recommended because it reduces the amount of air in the tank, thereby limiting the moisture in it (contained in the air) and the amount of atmospheric breathing (expansion and contraction due to temperature and pressure changes).
    2014 Estoril Blue RS5, loaded, 034 Motorsport X-Brace and rear anti sway bar, CR-15 strut tower brace, Ecstuning transmission and differential inserts, carbon fiber mirror housings, LED backup lights, VAG COMM mods, mid-resonator delete, true dual exhaust

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

..........don't over think it. Many vehicles do sit for an extended period during winter and nothing detrimental is really going to happen.

Fuel does not loose it's "kick" i.e. octane rating.

Established Member Four Rings Ape Factory's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5/Infiniti QX70S stormtrooper/Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 10th Anniversary

2013 Audi RS5 Misano Red, 20x10 Klassen ID M10/JHM Stage 1 ECU Tune/AWE Tuning Touring Exhaust/Eventuri Intake/Bilstein PSS10/H&R Sways/STERN Upper Control Arms/CR-15 reinforcement bar/ECS Stainless Steel Brake Lines/Apikol Rear Diff Bushing/ECS rear diff inserts/ECS front end links/034 Motorsports subframe inserts/034 Rear End Links/Tranny insert/E-code head & tail lights/Black Lip Spoiler, Red Trim Start Button, black emblems/VCDS.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Panther Black RS5

Thanks everybody!

I can always just grab a gas can and put another 10-20 litres in it and run it for a few minutes with some STABIL!

Makes you wonder what car dealers do with cars and trucks that sit on the lot for 4-6 months in the winter.

AZ Member #

My old summer cars (e46 and e92 M3's) I've always filled the tank completely and put some Sta-bil in and run for a bit to let it circulate to the whole fuel system. Left them on a battery tender and 4-5 months later they would fire up like they were just running yesterday.

The problem I'm having with the RS5 is deciding if I actually want to store it for the winter or just drive the thing. I have a truck that I shooouuuld drive all winter, but the car is just too damn fun haha. Plus I already have a set of almost new winter tires that came with the car... Hrrmmm...

Established Member Three Rings snocat17's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 S5 Cab, 2008 GMC Hennessey HPE 450 Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by Dubzz24 View Post
    The problem I'm having with the RS5 is deciding if I actually want to store it for the winter or just drive the thing. I have a truck that I shooouuuld drive all winter, but the car is just too damn fun haha. Plus I already have a set of almost new winter tires that came with the car... Hrrmmm...
    DRIVE IT!
    -Joe
    2016 S5 Cabriolet Prestige Glacier White Metallic w/ brown comfort seats and piano wire black wood trim. RED Brake calipers holding EBC RedStuff pads, VCDS cable

Established Member Two Rings B6Sticks's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Yes use that quattro!! Could even take it out for play time once a week or every couple weeks if you don't wanna let it sit. Like someone else said, get a car wash or wash it when your gonna put it away again!

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using Audizine mobile app

Established Member Two Rings Treeskier's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5; SQ5; S2k

My old summer cars (e46 and e92 M3's) I've always filled the tank completely and put some Sta-bil in and run for a bit to let it circulate to the whole fuel system. Left them on a battery tender and 4-5 months later they would fire up like they were just running yesterday.
    This. I've stored an S2000 every winter for the past 15+ years. Usually only sits 4-5 months and starts right up. Last year it sat for almost 15 months (had a kid, something about car seats not being good in the front of 2 seat convertibles, blah blah)...and it still started right up. You'll be good.

Drive it. My RS5 is a daily driver - rain, snow, sleet...you name it. Only other car that's ever been as well situated for the all-season weather was my WRX. It's built to take it...use it. Don't make it a garage queen.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Panther Black RS5

Iíve also got winter rims and tires, but to change them out, get the car dirty, then store it again is a pain. It would be an amazing winter car Im sure (used to drive a WRX STI) but Iíd hate storing it dirty and by the time I drive from the car wash home itíll be dirty again!

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

[QUOTE=Dubzz24

The problem I'm having with the RS5 is deciding if I actually want to store it for the winter or just drive the thing. I have a truck that I shooouuuld drive all winter, but the car is just too damn fun haha. Plus I already have a set of almost new winter tires that came with the car... Hrrmmm...[/QUOTE]

Drive it!!!! That's why I got this car so it could go in the winter. I have my lifted Jeep Wrangler which was my daily driver , now the S5 is. Jeep if the snow is too deep.